This Weird Diet Is Actually The Healthiest...

MikeMcMann

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This Weird Diet Is Actually The Healthiest, According To One Of The Country's Top Functional Docs

Introducing the pegan diet.

Mark Hyman, M.D., is one of the country’s top functional medicine doctors and a member of the mbg Collective (if you didn’t catch his panel on mitochondria at 2017’s revitalize, it’s a can’t-miss!). ...Ultimately, he concludes that the healthiest way to eat is a play on paleo and vegan: the pegan diet. In this excerpt, he explains exactly what that means.

The vegan diet, for example, ideally incorporates plenty of whole, plant-based foods. As a result, vegans get lots of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber, and healthy fats with none of the baggage that comes with feedlot meat. ... But even a perfect vegan diet won’t provide enough DHA and EPA, which are important omega-3 fatty acids. Neither will it provide enough iron, zinc, copper, or vitamin D. Vegans are also unlikely to be getting the amount of quality proteins and essential amino acids they require, especially as they age. It’s possible to find sufficient amounts in non-animal sources, but it is incredibly challenging. But they’re definitely not getting B12 because it only comes from animal foods.

-----------

This is the diet I have been following for the last year before they defined it as a 'diet'. I used to be a die hard Meat'atarian however now my diet is almost entirely small amounts of meat or fish along with a ton of veg and nuts and seeds. Very little to no carbs, no sugars that are not natural. I have certainly noticed and feel a difference in my energy and health levels.

I pretty much eat paleo plus dairy and have never felt better in my life. Have been for years.

To be more correct, I'd say I eat this way 90 percent of the time as I still like pasta and burger + fries, sweets and cake and shit from time to time. I consider them more to be treats though rather than part of my regular eating habits.

This sounds like a good diet, I approve

I pretty much eat paleo plus dairy and have never felt better in my life. Have been for years.

To be more correct, I'd say I eat this way 90 percent of the time as I still like pasta and burger + fries, sweets and cake and shit from time to time. I consider them more to be treats though rather than part of my regular eating habits.
Same for me. I will eat anything that catches my eye when I am out in a restaurant. I still tend to eat healthier but carbs and what is ever the restaurant specialties will be on my list including desserts.
It is when I am home, which is 90% of my meals that I eat this way.

This sounds like a good diet, I approve
Awesome.

Ok we are getting Clippy on this diet right awy. no more gummie bears, no more junk chocolate, no more snackie junk foods. We are going to health Clippy up in a way that will make @Clippys Mom proud of her little splinter'ling.

My understanding about diet now is that caring about what you eat and what it will do to your body is the single most helpful thing because our body is a very complex system and everybody is not exactly made the same. So no one magical diet is going to be the best for everyone. The fact that you care and is willing to take the time/effort to do trial and error to see how your body respond is the best thing you can do for yourself as far as diet goes.

I came into this thread thinking it's probably pescotarian and yup, pretty much.

Might be. If the diet works for you, makes you feel better, that's all that matters.

At least post the actual diet ya cracker. It's not weird at all but the gluten, GMO, and dairy alarmism is pretty yawn.

Here's how to eat a pegan diet:
1. Stay away from sugar.
That means a diet low in anything that causes a spike in our insulin production—sugar, flour, and refined carbohydrates. Think of sugar in all its various forms as an occasional treat, that is, something we eat occasionally and sparingly. I tell people to think of it as a recreational drug. You use it for fun occasionally, but it is not a dietary staple.

2. Eat mostly plants.
As we learned earlier, more than half your plate should be covered with veggies. The deeper the color, the better. The more variety, the healthier. Stick with mostly nonstarchy veggies. Winter squashes and sweet potatoes are fine in moderation (½ cup a day). Not a ton of potatoes! French fries don’t count even though they are the No. 1 vegetable in America.

3. Easy on fruits.
This is where there could be a little bit of confusion. Some paleo champions recommend eating mostly low-sugar fruits like berries, while some vegan advocates recommend all fruit equally. I find that most of my patients feel better when they stick to low-glycemic fruits and enjoy the others as a treat. Stick with berries, and watch the grapes, melons, and so on. Think of dried fruit as candy, and keep it to a minimum.

4. Stay away from pesticides, antibiotics, hormones, and GMO foods.
Also, no chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, artificial sweeteners, or other junk ingredients. If you don’t have that ingredient in your kitchen for cooking, you shouldn’t eat it. Polysorbate 60, red dye 40, and sodium stearoyl lactylate (also known as Twinkie ingredients), anyone?

5. Eat foods containing healthy fats.
I’m talking about omega-3 fatty acids and other good fats like those we find in nuts, seeds, olive oil, and avocados. And yes, we can even eat saturated fat from fish, whole eggs, and grass-fed or sustainably raised meat, grass-fed butter or ghee, and organic virgin coconut oil or coconut butter.

6. Stay away from most vegetable, nut, and seed oils.

This includes canola, sunflower, corn, grapeseed, and especially soybean oil, which now accounts for about 10 percent of our calories. Small amounts of expeller or cold-pressed nut and seed oils like sesame, macadamia, and walnut oils are fine to use as condiments or for flavoring. Avocado oil is great for higher-temperature cooking.

7. Avoid or limit dairy.
As we learned in earlier chapters, dairy doesn’t work for most people, so I recommend avoiding it, except for the occasional yogurt, kefir, grass-fed butter, ghee, and even cheese if it doesn’t cause any problems for you. Try goat or sheep products instead of cow dairy. And always go organic and grass-fed.

8. Think of meat and animal products as condiments or, as I like to call them, "condi-meat"—not a main course.
Vegetables should take center stage, and meat should be the side dish. Servings should be 4 to 6 ounces, tops, per meal. I often make three or four vegetable side dishes.

9. Eat sustainably raised or harvested low-mercury fish.
If you are eating fish, you should choose low-mercury and low-toxin varieties such as sardines, herring, anchovies, and wild-caught salmon (all of which have high omega-3 and low mercury levels). And they should be sustainably harvested or farmed. Check out www.cleanfish.com and www.foodthebook.com to learn more about your fish options.

10. Avoid gluten.
Most gluten comes from Frankenwheat, so look for heirloom varieties of wheat like einkorn. Eat wheat only if you are not gluten-sensitive, and even then, only occasionally. Dr. Alessio Fasano of Harvard, the world’s top gluten expert, has done research showing that gluten damages the gut—even in non-gluten-sensitive people who show no symptoms.

11. Eat gluten-free whole grains sparingly.
They still raise blood sugar and can trigger autoimmunity. All grains can increase your blood sugar. Stick with small portions (½ cup per meal) of low-glycemic grains like black rice, quinoa, teff, buckwheat, or amaranth. For type 2 diabetics and those with autoimmune disease or digestive disorders, a grain- and bean-free diet may be key to treating and even reversing your illness.

12. Eat beans only once in a while.
Lentils are best. Stay away from big starchy beans. Beans can be a great source of fiber, protein, and minerals. But they cause digestive problems for some, and the lectins and phytates they contain may impair mineral absorption. If you are diabetic, a high-bean diet can trigger spikes in your blood sugar. Again, moderate amounts (up to 1 cup a day) are OK.

13. Get tested to personalize your approach.
What works for one person may not work for another. This is called bio-individuality, and it is why I recommend that everyone eventually work with a functionally trained nutritionist to personalize their diet even further with the right tests. If you’re interested in getting tested and coached by one of my nutritionists, visit www.foodthebook.com/diet for more information.

I came into this thread thinking it's probably pescotarian and yup, pretty much.
I typically looked at my diet as mostly pescotarian but in fact I do avoid carbs which means I am closer to this Pegan Diet.

Seems pretty sensible.

It's basically how I tend to eat; lots of veggies, quite a bit of fruit, some nuts and seeds, occasionally some good quality meat. Quality over quantity in everything. Avoiding processed foods as much as possible.

Then occasionally pig out on junk to keep myself sane.

Well, for starters... the B12 thing is wrong.

There are lots of vegan foods fortified with B12. Most non dairy "milks", nutritional yeast, etc...

Limit processed foods is the best diet. Make as many meals as possible from scratch.
Buy fresh made local bread and pasta if possible, to have those.

Same for me. I will eat anything that catches my eye when I am out in a restaurant. I still tend to eat healthier but carbs and what is ever the restaurant specialties will be on my list including desserts.
It is when I am home, which is 90% of my meals that I eat this way.

Awesome.

Ok we are getting Clippy on this diet right awy. no more gummie bears, no more junk chocolate, no more snackie junk foods. We are going to health Clippy up in a way that will make @Clippys Mom proud of her little splinter'ling.

And who might I ask is paying?
c8933abcf70519caafabc1cb5b92c79e--baby-photos-infants.jpg

He already cuts into my beer and smokes with his noodle and ketchup diet.
bad-moms.jpg

Alright Mr Mom...have at er.
article-2509116-19697EE800000578-75_634x791.jpg

@TidWell

Yo this cat is stealing your gimmick. I mean you might post other threads not diet related but I'm sure you don't.

I thought pegan diet was about pegging. Leaving disappointed.

My eating habits I call it "flexible eating" (not diet,I don't like that word) is basically most of my carbs from fruit, sweet potatoes, and if I happen to eat pasta it has to be made out of black beans or some other protein resource, the meat I buy is either grass fed, wild caught, organic and free range (no hormones, no antibiotics, etc.) I try to eat high in proteins, medium in fat, and low on carbs; That's about 80% of my diet, the other 20% whatever the hell I want.

Back