This talk of "Cain didn't try to take JDS down" is annoying

taylortee

Green Belt
Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone point out that Cain did try to take Junior down. All anyone needs to do is rewatch their fight and about 30 seconds in, Junior throws the same front kick that Bigfoot threw, Cain catches the leg, and gets deeps in on a single.

People think Cains win over Bigfoot was a "statement." Well, if a guys opponent flops over like a dead fish when they merely grab the guys foot, then you're overestimating that persons chances.

Point is, Cain got in waaaay deeper on JDS than he did on Bigfoot and still couldn't take him down. Shoulder to abdomen, even got in to the point of spinning him and still didn't land the takedown. If that takedown on Bigfoot is what you think is going to happen to JDS then l o l at you.

He grabbed a leg and gave up on a weak single.

Yes, he tried to take him down, but JDS fans actingly like he went for some tremendous power-double that Junior sprawled and reversed is so hyperbolic and ridiculous.

Cain got his foot, tried to get him down, junior started spinning out perfectly, cain let it go.
End of story.

We've seen it before, "Brock/Chael/Cain, etc. <insert wrestler> will take X champion down, and it'll be an auto win."

There's only one wrestler who has a guarantee chance of taking you down and that's GSP.

True. Both of them tried the same stupid kick. I was really freaked out when Cain grabbed JDS leg and very happy and impressed when he could escape. I was sooo pissed at Big Foot...

Why do people keep throwing those kicks against wrestlers? I mean, I get it when someone throws a high kick to try to take someone's head off. But kicking just to stay active against a wrestler is pretty stupid...

We've seen it before, "Brock/Chael/Cain, etc. <insert wrestler> will take X champion down, and it'll be an auto win."

There's only one wrestler who has a guarantee chance of taking you down and that's GSP.

So far I remember Sonnen and Jones taking down pretty much everyone they wanted as well. But I get your point.

Cain's fans simply say that he didn't get it bc he didn't try which is bullshit.

Yes, he tried to take him down, but JDS fans actingly like he went for some tremendous power-double that Junior sprawled and reversed is so hyperbolic and ridiculous.

Cain got his foot, tried to get him down, junior started spinning out perfectly, cain let it go.
End of story.

i would call Cains takedown of Bigfoot the weakest single I have seen in MMA. He lifted his foot up a foot off the ground and still Bigfoot fell.

Cain's fans simply say that he didn't get it bc he didn't try which is bullshit.

i dont get that either, how did cain not try? Looks like he tried to me and got clocked. i love how after JDS tags him cain just kinda falls and sits down awkwardly.

im not even a huge jds fan (he beat mir up badly darn it) but i just don't see what cain has to offer against jds the second time around.

cain shot after the kick and failed

OK total neutral here. I love Cain and JDS equally but if anyone really thought that was Cain 100% trying to take Junior down you are completely deluded. That was half hearted at best and he quickly gave up because he wasn't in the ideal position and continuing would be a waste of time. Please tell me JDS fans aren't pointing to this as proof that Cain cannot take JDS down?

End of story.

Yeah. People are acting like Cain set up and made a big attempt at at a Takedown and JDS stuffed him. What actually happened was, Cain caught JDS's foot, thought he saw an opportunity for a single, realized it wasn't there, and let it go. I would barely count that as a "takedown attempt."

i would call Cains takedown of Bigfoot the weakest single I have seen in MMA. He lifted his foot up a foot off the ground and still Bigfoot fell.

Have you spent much time on a wrestling mat? Being caught off balance like that is no joke, I've seen weaker TDs at the Division 1 level.

I couldn't agree more. Just check out the Overeem & Lesnar fight. Overeem didn't fear Lesnar's wrestling or being taken down. He walked right into Brock with kicks and kneese. Why? Because, strikers like AO or JDS fear no one :)

I can already see this fight ending with a brutal KO. CV is going to go for a TD and JDS is going to throw an uppercut or a hook for a KO Velasquez.

Antonio is a big guy. If Cain can get him down I won't be surprised if he can get JDS down.

What makes JDS hard is his footwork and speed in the starting rounds.

He tried 1 TD, take it easy buddy... That does not mean he can't get him down..

Im a JDS fan and I can tell you that Cains effort on that single was very minimal considering the fact that he let it go. If he fully comitted he would have held on a ot longer.

Cain could have easily kept hold of that single but was probobly worried about eating some shots in the process and let it go.

That said you can see the athleticism of JDS and can tell he will not be easy to get down.

16bd652.gif

And I'm Sorry but
Cain catches the leg, and gets deeps in on a single.
Please watch it again.
It wasn't even noteworthy enough for the commentators to mention it

Last edited:
I haven't seen anyone point out that Cain did try to take Junior down. All anyone needs to do is rewatch their fight and about 30 seconds in, Junior throws the same front kick that Bigfoot threw, Cain catches the leg, and gets deeps in on a single.

People think Cains win over Bigfoot was a "statement." Well, if a guys opponent flops over like a dead fish when they merely grab the guys foot, then you're overestimating that persons chances.

Point is, Cain got in waaaay deeper on JDS than he did on Bigfoot and still couldn't take him down. Shoulder to abdomen, even got in to the point of spinning him and still didn't land the takedown. If that takedown on Bigfoot is what you think is going to happen to JDS then l o l at you.

I just cannot wait till the rematch

He took one half assed (IMO) level change. BARELY an attempt.

16bd652.gif

s4s6t4.gif

Two different methods, but it seemed Cain's grip of Bigfoot's foot was a little mroe stable and he charged forward instead of trying to get an angle.

Back