This isn't the first time we've seen "underserved" title fights

Look at Wanderlei Silva's title run. One of the biggest punchlines in MMA. Most padded record ever.

Carlos Condit did not deserve a title shot vs GSP.

This.

losing the fight due to running and then gets awarded a title shot afterwards is completely absurd.

nick was the true #1 contender this whole time.

Let's not forget Matt Serra and Travis Lutter! They won I believe 3 fights against fighters who were supposedly not even good enough for the UFC!

Undeserved title shots is one of the reasons fans discredit Pride.

The UFC is supposed to have a format where fighters win enough to become contenders, then win to get a title shot.
They easily could do that. But they are very anti-rematch for some reason

You must not have followed the LW division very much, and missed Silva/Sonnen II, Shogun/Machida II, and aren't aware of JDS/Velasquez II.

Its still an entertainment company. I don't know why people keep forgetting this.

You are listing examples from PRIDE. An org. known for their blatant mismatches and freak show fights. List an org. that does this that is still relevant today.

Its not uncommon in boxing

Lennox Lewis lost the unified belts via KO against Hasim Rahman and got an immediate rematch.

Evandar Holyfeild Lost WBA & IBF Heavyweight titles. For Lineal, WBC & vacant IBO Heavyweight titles and got an immediate shot at the vacant WBA HW belt which he then lost in his next match only to get another immediate shot.

Dereck Chisora is given an immediate title shot for the WBC HW title against Vitali Klitschko after losing his last fight. In fact he had lost 2 of his last 3 fights in the lead up to the title.

Juan Manuel M

In MMA injuries, suspensions, schedules, beefs, and popularity can all determine matches.

Its part of the business. Anybody who thinks there should be an iron clad ranking that determines title shots is just being unrealistic.

UFC Examples
Brock Lesnar getting a title shot fresh into MMA.
Jon Jones getting a title shot over Evans after beating Bader could be considered unfair
Vitor Belfort getting a title shot against Jones
Randy Couture coming down a weight class from a loss streak to get a shot at the interim title.
Quinton Jackson getting a title shot against Chuck after beating Marvin Eastman

I am sure there are more example but they come to mind.

I wouldn't include Rampage, as he was rising a few wins from Pride, contenders were few, and he already had a win over Chuck, making their fight a big deal.

Strikeforce has been pretty bad about it, but that washer due to roster depth (or lack thereof)

Keith Jardine gets a title shot his first fight at 185, after not having any significant wins in who know how long.

Brett Rogers gets title shot after loss to Fedor.

Certain aspects of UFC are as fake as pro wrestling. When it boils down to it, it's all about $$$

lolz, ignorant UFC fans always want to talk about how much better the UFC is than PRIDE, but when UFC does shitty things like PRIDE did, these same fans try and use PRIDE doing it to justify UFC doing it.

Get the eff outta here.

lolz, ignorant UFC fans always want to talk about how much better the UFC is than PRIDE, but when UFC does shitty things like PRIDE did, these same fans try and use PRIDE doing it to justify UFC doing it.

Get the eff outta here.

UFC never allowed pro wrestlers to compete wearing mask.
They also never had some of the worst one-sided bouts in the sports history.
How many PRIDE fighters admitted to taking dives.?
UFC didn't need cheesy little skits and sketches to be funny.

I can go on and on about it, PRIDE was the Monster Energy drink of an MMA promotion.

To all those complaining about "underserved" title fights here's a little food for thought

Fedor defended his belt against Mark Hunt after Hunt lost too Josh Barnett
Fedor also defended his belt against Big Nog after they N/C'd in their preceding fight (though that's totally legitimate)
Wand defended his belt against Kiyoshi Tamura after Tamura was on a 3 fight lose streak
Wand defended his belt against Hiromitsu Kanehara after right after Kanehara had fought to a draw with Mikhail Ilyukin
Wand defended his belt against Ricardo Arona after Arona had lost to Shogun
Gomi defended his belt against Marcus Aurelio after Aurelio had lost to Mitsuhiro Ishida

I'm not trying to discredit the fighters or Pride (I love both), but people can't act like this "underseved title shot" stuff is new to the game

As for superfights, I've always felt that one of the strenghts of MMA is that it doesn't need superfights to keep the fans intrigued. Look at boxing, it just took a massive hit because the Pacquiao-Mayweather superfight isn't really viable anymore. In boxing boxing champs get fed cans half the time to pad their records, and the undercards are rarely that exciting, so the (corrupt) promotions have to arrange superfights all the time to make up for the fact that they don't really have anything else. In comparison, MMA has always been able to keep the fans interested by (usually) feeding their champs legit contendors and giving us cards that are overall pretty good, instead of just a good main-event; instead of relying on superfights to keep the fans interested

Don't comment on boxing because you clearly do not watch it!

Back