This isn't the first time we've seen "underserved" title fights

lolz, ignorant UFC fans always want to talk about how much better the UFC is than PRIDE, but when UFC does shitty things like PRIDE did, these same fans try and use PRIDE doing it to justify UFC doing it.

Get the eff outta here.

Pride was a joke.

UFC Examples
Brock Lesnar getting a title shot fresh into MMA.
Jon Jones getting a title shot over Evans after beating Bader could be considered unfair
Vitor Belfort getting a title shot against Jones
Randy Couture coming down a weight class from a loss streak to get a shot at the interim title.
Quinton Jackson getting a title shot against Chuck after beating Marvin Eastman

I am sure there are more example but they come to mind.

Didn't Evans get hurt?

And Rampage was on a 4 fight win streak, had a win over Chuck and was a top 5 LHW

Fights were the #1 contender gets pulled and they need a quick emplacement should not count

lolz, ignorant UFC fans always want to talk about how much better the UFC is than PRIDE, but when UFC does shitty things like PRIDE did, these same fans try and use PRIDE doing it to justify UFC doing it.

Get the eff outta here.

Thats not what TS said!

Pride was a freak show.

Undeserved title shots have happened before, but I don't think three people have ever got them before in the same year. Edgar, Sonnen, and Diaz are all getting one, and it wouldn't surprise me if they gave Bisping one if he loses to Belfort, the UFC clearly doesn't care anymore and has no legitimacy has a professional sports league so why not? Anderson will probably ask for and get a Bisping fight even if he does lose to Vitor.

Lesnar got a title shot after beating Heath Herring and he was only 2-1 in his career.

Maia got a title shot after beating Dan Miller.

Belfort got a title shot after beating Franklin at 195lbs and he hadn't fought in 15 months.

Undeserved title shots have and will most likely always happen.

To all those complaining about "underserved" title fights here's a little food for thought

Fedor defended his belt against Mark Hunt after Hunt lost too Josh Barnett
Fedor also defended his belt against Big Nog after they N/C'd in their preceding fight (though that's totally legitimate)
Wand defended his belt against Kiyoshi Tamura after Tamura was on a 3 fight lose streak
Wand defended his belt against Hiromitsu Kanehara after right after Kanehara had fought to a draw with Mikhail Ilyukin
Wand defended his belt against Ricardo Arona after Arona had lost to Shogun
Gomi defended his belt against Marcus Aurelio after Aurelio had lost to Mitsuhiro Ishida

I'm not trying to discredit the fighters or Pride (I love both), but people can't act like this "underseved title shot" stuff is new to the game

As for superfights, I've always felt that one of the strenghts of MMA is that it doesn't need superfights to keep the fans intrigued. Look at boxing, it just took a massive hit because the Pacquiao-Mayweather superfight isn't really viable anymore. In boxing boxing champs get fed cans half the time to pad their records, and the undercards are rarely that exciting, so the (corrupt) promotions have to arrange superfights all the time to make up for the fact that they don't really have anything else. In comparison, MMA has always been able to keep the fans interested by (usually) feeding their champs legit contendors and giving us cards that are overall pretty good, instead of just a good main-event; instead of relying on superfights to keep the fans interested

it's not new to the game, i can't recall people saying that. But i am pretty fed up with it being that way

There's more to the fight game than just who wears the belt and who fights for the belt. Legacies are built over time, careers. Manny vs jmm was with no belt on the line. It didn't really matter.

Things play out over the long haul.

To all those complaining about "underserved" title fights here's a little food for thought

Fedor defended his belt against Mark Hunt after Hunt lost too Josh Barnett
Fedor also defended his belt against Big Nog after they N/C'd in their preceding fight (though that's totally legitimate)
Wand defended his belt against Kiyoshi Tamura after Tamura was on a 3 fight lose streak
Wand defended his belt against Hiromitsu Kanehara after right after Kanehara had fought to a draw with Mikhail Ilyukin
Wand defended his belt against Ricardo Arona after Arona had lost to Shogun
Gomi defended his belt against Marcus Aurelio after Aurelio had lost to Mitsuhiro Ishida

I'm not trying to discredit the fighters or Pride (I love both), but people can't act like this "underseved title shot" stuff is new to the game

As for superfights, I've always felt that one of the strenghts of MMA is that it doesn't need superfights to keep the fans intrigued. Look at boxing, it just took a massive hit because the Pacquiao-Mayweather superfight isn't really viable anymore. In boxing boxing champs get fed cans half the time to pad their records, and the undercards are rarely that exciting, so the (corrupt) promotions have to arrange superfights all the time to make up for the fact that they don't really have anything else. In comparison, MMA has always been able to keep the fans interested by (usually) feeding their champs legit contendors and giving us cards that are overall pretty good, instead of just a good main-event; instead of relying on superfights to keep the fans interested

Using examples from Pride is pointless, different organization and different system for pretty much everything.

Hunt only got the shot cause Barnett declined the Fedor fight.
Arona lost in the GP, and Nog/Fedor was also in the GP, and the Gomi defened cause Auerilio already beat him in a non title fight.

TS is really a dedicated fanboy trying to defend a crap title shot for his favorite fighter.
If you aren't in the top 3 you don't deserve a shot.

We know how well giving undeserved title fights and having freak show matches worked out for Pride.
Dana and/or Joe need to move on.

I came expecting a picture of Brock and I'm leaving disappointed. :(

I think with Pride many of the title fights were because a Champ was expected to defend the title so many times, and they just threw guys in there to fill that spot when there wasn't someone immediately available for the fight, since I believe many Pride fights were scheduled with less than a month before the fight.

With the UFC we expect better and we know there are many deserving guys at each weight class. To have the HW, LHW and WW belts all be fights based on ratings and not who deserves the fight is bad for business.

A title challenger should be on more than a 1 fight win streak, even if they were just the champ (close decisions being the exception) Cain was KO'ed and then beat a guy known for having no chin and no punching power, Chael hasn't been in this division in year and just got TKO'd by a smaller version of Jones and Diaz lost, was suspended, quit, came back and will now fight a guy who possesses Diaz's biggest weakness, someone with grade school level wrestling.

Right now I'd much rather see Hendricks, Hendo and anyone else at HW get these title shots, hell give Mark Hunt a shot, at least the chances of him being KO'd in minutes again will be slim to none

Lesnar got a title shot after beating Heath Herring and he was only 2-1 in his career.

Maia got a title shot after beating Dan Miller.

Belfort got a title shot after beating Franklin at 195lbs and he hadn't fought in 15 months.

Undeserved title shots have and will most likely always happen.

Maia was an injury replacement for Belfort. Belfort had won 5 in a row and got the shot after beating Franklin, but injuries got in the way, so it ended up taking a while for that fight to happen.

There's more to the fight game than just who wears the belt and who fights for the belt. Legacies are built over time, careers. Manny vs jmm was with no belt on the line. It didn't really matter.

Things play out over the long haul.

no, not always

Back