This effing guy/Gym ettiquite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scarymonster

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was at the gym on monday. I am fairly new at the Y gym b/c of having kids & having a decent work and home gym just haven;t needed a membership anywhere for 5 years.
So this guy is in the power rack for like seriuously 20 minutes, farting around doing some kind of bad form complex routine with 2 minute breaks and all i want to do is some deadlifts. And after screwing around expecting him to be complete I finally asked him how many sets he has. He says, 12 but since you're bothering me, 15. Then he pushes me, lightly you know. Meanwhile, another guy comes up and says to him, how many sets you have left? It was pretty funny. I laughed at his face and told guy 2 he told me 15 when I asked him, then he pushed me. Guy 2 looked confused and left. Then he did another few sets and left. I ended up talking to him after and he seemed okay. But WTF. Did gym ettiquite evolve when I was a non-member?

My 1st question has to be: Why do you need the power rack to do DL?

Bar, weights, floor... That should do it really.

Yeah gym etiquette has changed, he was challenging you for gym supremacy. Since you didn't knock him out he now has full control of the squat rack so whenever he's in the gym even if you are in the middle of a set you have to let him use the rack and call him sir. If you want to regain control of the gym you have to kill him by staking him through the heart with a barbell.

he really pushed you? or bumped into you while walking, if somebody pushed me for no reason I would bodyslam them

If someone pushes you your immediate reaction should be a double leg takedown. You used bad etiquette in not helping him with his attitude problem via wrestling.

I didn't read the first post very close and I thought it said he was farting in the power rack for 20 minutes. I was going to agree that is indeed horrible etiquette.

Several questions.

1) Why do you need a rack to DL? Just a get a goddamn bar off one of the several hundred benches I'm sure every gym has.

2) Someone talked shit, pushed you, talked shit some more, then pushed you again? I'm not a violent person, but that all spells someone getting beat to death with 45lbs plate or at least greasing up the ol' shitter for an Olympic bar enema.

3) Wut?

No it has'nt changed; there have always been Tools at the gym.

Ironically, the guys with the biggest attitude usually are'nt elite lifters. In my experiance, the real monsters at the gym save their aggression for the lifts and are polite when talking to other lifters.

LOL @ body slam. I used to do that when I was a little kid and anyone wanted to fight. Just slam them on the ground as hard as possible, get on top, and start punching them until they gave up

Yeah you need to clarify if he pushed you or bumped you.
Cuz if he really pushed you, you should have deadlifted him and dropped him right on the damn floor.

My gym is sort of selective about their policies. Most of the time, they won't let you do deadlifts outside of the squat/power rack due to their not being enough room in the free weight room. Yes, it is a small free weight room. So I understand TS's position.

At the same time, I have no problem camping out in the squat rack to do my business. I was in there between an hour and 75 minutes today. I usually let people work in if necessary but some get scared off at the prospect of taking all the weight off and moving the bar repeatedly. Too much hassle I suppose.

Oh, and I have to ask the same question as the other guys: why do you need a Squat rack to DL? Please tell me you were'nt planning on taking the Bar off the pins for you first rep of DL?:rolleyes:

I have to say, my instinctive response to someone pushing me would be several well-placed punches, knees and elbows. Much like the Isrealies, I don't do "proportionate response"...:icon_twis

However, I now train at a civilised gym, where battering someone repeatedly over the head with a Dumbbell while howling, "In town you're the law - in the gym it's me!!!" is rather frowned on. The procedure is to report any aggressive behaviour to the gym staff, who will be down on the offender like a ton of rectangular building things. The gym staff includes one Thai Boxer and a Rugby player who can Bench 180 kilos. So people generally behave themselves.:icon_chee

Yeah gym etiquette has changed, he was challenging you for gym supremacy. Since you didn't knock him out he now has full control of the squat rack so whenever he's in the gym even if you are in the middle of a set you have to let him use the rack and call him sir. If you want to regain control of the gym you have to kill him by staking him through the heart with a barbell.

It's also important to mark your territory with a good puddle of piss.

Wow I can't believe Jiu Jitsu was not created up until this month. Just find out which car he drives, and blow it up.

One of my old gyms discouraged deads, rows and other lifts like them, outside of the rack and this other POS thing they had (forgot the name, have no idea what to call it). I think they did this mainly because there was a lack of free space between equipment. I would have to wait for behind the back wrist curls or women on the half balls doing dumbbell bent over rows in the mirror just to do deads or cleans. I would need a good explaination for the attitude that guy was giving for me to let that go.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back