This effing guy/Gym ettiquite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the gym is pretty tight there's really no room to steal a bar on intl bench day and do DL's in the middle of the floor. No I was not DL from pins. I have no problem with improvising with equipment, but it wasn't really an option.

The guy didn't give me a 2 hands shove, but he reached out and pushed at my shoulder like what you gonna do? Only 1 push, not 2. If I had some MA skills maybe I would have put some Bas Rutten street defense on him with an armbar and palm strike, but also I would have gotten locked up while my kids were in swim class downstairs. Rilly, though. Am I a puss for not retaliating? Honestly, it's a civilized place and the guy looked like a CPU programmer so I was kind of shocked. Later he told me he was an ex Marine.

I would have been glad to work in with him since I would just have added plates and done my set.

Also, it seems like more guys do pullups now but like partial reps.

I figure I'll just call him 12 set whenever I see him.

Oh still I would've grabbed his hand as soon as he touched me and reaped his ass

Yeah, the gym is pretty tight there's really no room to steal a bar on intl bench day and do DL's in the middle of the floor. No I was not DL from pins. I have no problem with improvising with equipment, but it wasn't really an option.

The guy didn't give me a 2 hands shove, but he reached out and pushed at my shoulder like what you gonna do? Only 1 push, not 2. If I had some MA skills maybe I would have put some Bas Rutten street defense on him with an armbar and palm strike, but also I would have gotten locked up while my kids were in swim class downstairs. Rilly, though. Am I a puss for not retaliating? Honestly, it's a civilized place and the guy looked like a CPU programmer so I was kind of shocked. Later he told me he was an ex Marine.

I would have been glad to work in with him since I would just have added plates and done my set.

Also, it seems like more guys do pullups now but like partial reps.

I figure I'll just call him 12 set whenever I see him.

Fair points; the desire to get Medieval on someone's ass has to be balanced against the likely consequences(which is why I always make sure there are no witnessess...:icon_twis).

The guy was acting like a dick and, morally, would have deserved a slap. But justice often does'nt carry much weight in a court of law. On balance, you probably did the right thing.

Oh still I would've grabbed his hand as soon as he touched me and reaped his ass

A good wrist-lock is perfect in these type of low-level confrontations. Works even better if you are overweight and have a ponytail...:D

If I had some MA skills maybe I would have put some Bas Rutten street defense on him with an armbar and palm strike

images

An always appropriate (and non-punishable-by-lawable-fuck-it's-lateable) response is to stare him intently in the eye and slowly, slowly let a small drop of drool out onto your chin. Generally, i don't do this because i don't live in douchebagia and people in my town generally aren't douchebags. But if they were - what would you do?

Guy was a total d-bag. Nobody should be laying hands on strangers in the gym.

That said, you did the right thing. It's a YMCA and if you'd have responded in kind you probably woulda gotten kicked out for the day, or maybe 86'ed permanently, or maybe arrested.

And did this goober actually use the term "ex-Marine?" There are no ex-Marines. Just live Marines and dead Marines.

What you should have done is put on this mischeivous looking grin, walked up to him quite slowly and whispered in his ear...... "Please hurry up...the naughty people in my head are telling me to cut your stomach open with a rusty knife."

Instant vacant rack.

Guy was a total d-bag. Nobody should be laying hands on strangers in the gym.

That said, you did the right thing. It's a YMCA and if you'd have responded in kind you probably woulda gotten kicked out for the day, or maybe 86'ed permanently, or maybe arrested.

And did this goober actually use the term "ex-Marine?" There are no ex-Marines. Just live Marines and dead Marines.

I agree with this dude.

The guy was a total d-bag, but fighting isn't worth it outside the ring/cage. People on here can talk big all they want, and maybe they can even back it up, but really, you did the right thing by letting it slide. The consequences of your actions would have been far greater than the amount of dignity he tried to take away from you. And from the way it sounds, he didn't take anything.

I've been lifting on a military base for almost two years, and there have been no douche moves by any of the soldiers/contractors/people here.

And how did you start talking to him later?? How'd you bring any conversation up?

Here's a little bouncer trick for you.

When he pushes you, step back a tad. That was on camera it'll look like he shoved or punched you.

Now you can punch him back, or at least have him removed from the rack/gym.

It sounds like he was flirting to me. Joking around, followed by a light push in the chest, but with a lingering touch etc. This will probably progress to him slinging one up you, good gym etiquette is just to take it.

Here's a little bouncer trick for you.

When he pushes you, step back a tad. That was on camera it'll look like he shoved or punched you.

Now you can punch him back, or at least have him removed from the rack/gym.

Odds on deckingdutchman waiting till some 5ft 6, 90 pounds soaking wet, 19 year old kid brushes past him on the way out of the club, deckingdutchman throws himself back theatrically before proceeding to smash a sickening haymaker into his pasty face and pinning him with a boston crab whilst saying "calm down, sir! You must calm down!" whilst the afore mentioned teen flops on the floor?

Odds on deckingdutchman waiting till some 5ft 6, 90 pounds soaking wet, 19 year old kid brushes past him on the way out of the club, deckingdutchman throws himself back theatrically before proceeding to smash a sickening haymaker into his pasty face and pinning him with a boston crab whilst saying "calm down, sir! You must calm down!" whilst the afore mentioned teen flops on the floor?

Lol no, not gonna lie that could be kinda funny though.

I generally just do it in case the confrontation gets violent later on, I can go back and say "well he shoved me earlier..." It helps a lot of the police get involved.

But I'm just saying, if you ever really wanna sock a guy like that, you can probably get away with it... lol.

I would have tried to grab a bench bar and deadlift outside the rack. I have lifted in tiny gyms before and there's always room if you make for it.

With all that said, the guy was a complete and utter jerk. With all this internet bravery aside that some of the people are jokingly (at least I hope) telling you to do, the best thing was to stand your ground and in a stern voice talk to him. If he's an ex-Marine(in a sense that he's been discharged from the military) then he should know a thing or two about respect of self and others. If he didnt apologize, I would have spoken with the gym personnel and got him kicked out.

I have a friend bouncer who loves to fight at his job when the situations arise. That has cost him a broken hand, loss of job(for knocking out some guys 4 front teeth), criminal charges, and recently being knocked out with a bottle from behind in his own club and getting beat down by multiple people(friends of some guy) after he had an encounter with one guy. Granted a gym is not a night club/bar however my point is that situations like this are not uncommon and you never know when someone has a knife/gun. This guy is no joke either, at 6'5 and 270 (with MAs background) which shows that it doesnt matter how big/tough/skilled you are, there's always going to be a guy who's willing to go a step further.

I would have tried to grab a bench bar and deadlift outside the rack. I have lifted in tiny gyms before and there's always room if you make for it.

With all that said, the guy was a complete and utter jerk. With all this internet bravery aside that some of the people are jokingly (at least I hope) telling you to do, the best thing was to stand your ground and in a stern voice talk to him. If he's an ex-Marine(in a sense that he's been discharged from the military) then he should know a thing or two about respect of self and others. If he didnt apologize, I would have spoken with the gym personnel and got him kicked out.

I have a friend bouncer who loves to fight at his job when the situations arise. That has cost him a broken hand, loss of job(for knocking out some guys 4 front teeth), criminal charges, and recently being knocked out with a bottle from behind in his own club and getting beat down by multiple people(friends of some guy) after he had an encounter with one guy. Granted a gym is not a night club/bar however my point is that situations like this are not uncommon and you never know when someone has a knife/gun. This guy is no joke either, at 6'5 and 270 (with MAs background) which shows that it doesnt matter how big/tough/skilled you are, there's always going to be a guy who's willing to go a step further.

QFT -A lot of people overlook this, but this is what it often comes down to "on the street"

Q-Can I work in?
A-No.
Q-How many sets do you have?
A-x sets
Q-Can you let me know when your done?
A-1-okay--> Okay thanks.
A-2-no --> walk away and ask the gym staff the policy and to enforce the rules on equipment
**if they don't do their job find another gym

In a small gym you have to be patient and creative. Heck use the smith machine to do rack lockouts or the curl bar to do deadlifts or power cleans if its too light. Having a training partner or two can help lock down a station for a fair amount of time. If all else fails invest and make your home your training sanctuary.

obviously you shoulda have knocked him the Fack out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back