Things you can go cheap on vs. things you should spend on

Q-tips, toilet paper, medicine are the obvious ones. i also don't mind buying things like kroger brand chicken or tomato sauce vs tyson and hunts, etc. but a lot of brand named grocery items can be had for as cheap as the basic brand when you use coupons. For instance, I'll buy any of the major shampoo brands (pert, head and shoulders, loreal, garnier, etc for about a $1 with coupons so theres no need for me to get the .89 cent v05 shampoo.

Also, never skip on Nutella. the other hazelnut spreads pale in comparison.

I also typically just buy the cheapest (<$300) 4 GB computer because I end up dropping and breaking my computer before I actually need to upgrade it.

i like to get higher quality clothes, especially if its higher dress type clothing. Also i get more expensive groceries. Im not buying meat for example thats full of chemicals, additives, etc. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on food to get organic, chemical and additive free types.

spoiler alert for someone who works in the food and additives industry... your organic and natural stuff can be incredibly disgusting. Say what you will about lab made, but at least you know its clean and uncontaminated. Also, standards for "natural" flavors is laughable.

if you want to be serious about your meat, buy a cow or pig from a farmer that is known and trusted. anything store bought will most likely be processed regardless of organic labels.

Clothes can be tough. Nicer clothes should not be gone cheap on though. Cheap suits are not worth it. Unless you're a 14 year old going to homecoming then get the fuck out of Men's Warehouse or Jos. A Bank.

Jos A Bank-tier suits are fine for most first jobs, so long as you get them tailored.

You gotta go name brand for ketchup and oreos. Also, generic peanut butter is usually hit or miss.

I buy cheap tires. My thought is gov't regulations have set a baseline on tire production that's high enough for me to feel comfortable with cheap ones...my car is not going to roll because I went cheap on tires. And do expensive ones last longer?...I'm skeptical about that as well. High end tires cost a shitload more than mid to low end tires...I'm not paying it.

better tires have demonstrably better grip, which makes for quicker acceleration and shorter stopping distance. So yes, it can save your life.

As for lasting longer? The better the tire, the shorter its life. Its the cheap hard tires that last the longest.

Some clothes I won't go cheap on like dress clothes/sweaters..I'm pretty loyal to BB, but other stuff like swim trunks and flip flops, that I'm fine with spending a few bucks since I'll inevitably get something different the following year.

Outside of major investments like vehicles or some consumer electronics, a good office chair is another one. Shoes too if you're on your feet all day. And boxers that don't chafe

Your user name reminded me of one.

Hard alcohol, especially vodka...go cheap!

Especially anything you're going to mix...go cheap.

The people that say you get a worse hangover from cheap liquor, I don't buy that for a second. You're getting a hangover because of the alcohol, not the "additives" or "impurities" that might show up in cheaper booze.

Gray Goose vs Popov...only about 5% of people could identify a difference in a blind taste test if tasting them straight and 0% if mixed with soda or whatever.

Even things like Scotch or Bourbon...I don't want to derail the thread because this is a very sensitive subject with some people, but I've given the blind taste tests to my hardcore Bourbon loving buddies and they are ALL OVER the place...zero correlation between price and taste when they don't know what it is they are tasting. And I'm talking about $1k bottles in the mix here, Papy Van Winkle and shit. I've never seen a guy as pissed as my friend when he chose Woodford over the Papy Van Winkle I think he blew a guy to get.

Freakonomics did a podcast about a high fallutin' wine lover's club that always drank $100+ bottles of wine...they failed miserably at blind taste tests between $15 bottles and $100 bottles....they ended up preferring the cheaper wine.
the alcohol thing is legit about cheap kinds giving you worse hangovers. fusel oils are naturally found in alcohol, and it varies a lot. bottom shelf brands source the cheapest ingredients with more impurities. Your body doesn't process this properly. now if the cheap brand has a robust distillation process, then it should be fine (theoretically you can distill or filter away any impurities), but considering processing cost for distillations and manufacturing times, they probably aren't doing that.

i've heard multiple people be let down by papy. Its made by one of the big name brands (not sure if its makers or not). as for tasting, taste receptors for everyone is different, so while your buddy couldn't tell the difference, other people could. i did the bourbon trail recently and named more notes than my buddies that drink bourbon every weekend (whereas I hate it). but thats just from my experience in tasting.

you are correct about wine though (and also champaigne). Either go super cheap, or absolute top high end. everything in the middle is shit.

Jos A Bank-tier suits are fine for most first jobs, so long as you get them tailored.

I've actually been fooled by Express suits. That's as basic, made in China grade as it gets. The guy wearing one had it tailored and it had a perfect fit to make up for the cheap materials. I was impressed so if one was to go the cheap route then I think that might be the way to go.

Never skimp on appliances. I used to sell them/manage a department that sold them. Yes, Hotpoint is made by GE. Yes, other major appliance manufacturers have cheaper lines. But they are always made with cheaper materials a break much easier. You don't need to go commercial and get all SubZero or Wolf but don't be afraid to spend more on a Kenmore, Samsung, LG, etc.

I buy cheap tires. My thought is gov't regulations have set a baseline on tire production that's high enough for me to feel comfortable with cheap ones...my car is not going to roll because I went cheap on tires. And do expensive ones last longer?...I'm skeptical about that as well. High end tires cost a shitload more than mid to low end tires...I'm not paying it.

You're driving a several thousand pound machine at high speeds and you're only contact with the ground is a few square inches.

It's about reliability, predictability, and handling (especially in bad weather). If you don't think it's worth spending a few more bucks that's fine, but personally I've found good tires to be worth the investment every time.

You're driving a several thousand pound machine at high speeds and you're only contact with the ground is a few square inches.

It's about reliability, predictability, and handling (especially in bad weather). If you don't think it's worth spending a few more bucks that's fine, but personally I've found good tires to be worth the investment every time.

Generally better tires come with a good warranty too. I've done both routes - cheap used tires from some local mexican shop, or more expensive tires from somewhere like Sears. Obviously if you can afford it it's worth the extra $$ for nicer ones.

Never skimp on cocaine. Pay more to get the pure stuff.

You can skimp on the booze cause it all tastes the same once you're buzzing.

Never skimp on:

1. A good suit or two that is nicely tailored- every man needs at least one nice suit- dark blue and 1 more gray one if you can - Don't buy an H&M suit.

2. Tatoos

3. Organics Produce and Fruit- They have much less pesticide, so it's worth it.

You can go cheap on:

1. Generic meds

2. Beauty supplies- often the pharamacy stuff is just as good and often exactly teh same as expensive name brands

3. Computer - you can build your own for so much cheaper with the exact same components.

4. Chicken - no need for free range chickens as all chickens are not given hormones by LAW. So the nominal benefit of "organic" chickens is not worth the extra cost- beef is a different story.

I've actually been fooled by Express suits. That's as basic, made in China grade as it gets. The guy wearing one had it tailored and it had a perfect fit to make up for the cheap materials. I was impressed so if one was to go the cheap route then I think that might be the way to go.

You can buy cheap suits if you have a good tailor. In terms of appearance, fit is much more important than quality. Tailoring is definitely not something to skimp on.

You gotta go name brand for ketchup and oreos. Also, generic peanut butter is usually hit or miss.

If you go for all natural storebrand peanut butter, you'll acquire a taste for it and not want to go back to sugary Peter Pan etc later on. FWIW.

Might have missed it (not reading all this) but you can skimp on razors if they're good ones from a razor club or that Brett Favre endorsed one on TV.

(I have the Brett Favre one. No subscription. The blade lasts about a month so it's about $30 for a year. The best one I've used is the Mach 4 or Mach 5 (can't remember) but the Favre German razor is nearly as good and a lot less.)

This is a good one, minus the razors. But cheap q-tips fucking suck. I made that mistake once and never again will I buy off brand q-tips.

No one likes a bendy Q-tip, they suck.

I guess when I mentioned razors I was more talking about Dollar store razors or cheap ones at a grocery store. For those who have traveled, you know the damage a shitty razor can do. Dollar Shave Club has great razors IMO.

Never skimp on shoes.

Quality shoes:
- Last longer
- Look better
- Feel better

Back