Things you can go cheap on vs. things you should spend on

swimming trunks. my brother just bought an $85 dollar pair. Everyone's buying hip swimming trunks. I buy them at target for $10, wear them once or twice, and then use them as backup boxers in the winter. also, i go generic with peanut butter. shop rite chunky peanut butter is better than any name brand.

your tires

I buy cheap tires. My thought is gov't regulations have set a baseline on tire production that's high enough for me to feel comfortable with cheap ones...my car is not going to roll because I went cheap on tires. And do expensive ones last longer?...I'm skeptical about that as well. High end tires cost a shitload more than mid to low end tires...I'm not paying it.

Q-Tips, TP, Razors & Mattresses.

I made a thread back in the day with almost the exact same title.

Conventional wisdom is to never skimp on the three things that go between you and the ground- Your shoes, your tires, and your mattress.

I agree in general generic medications are fine, but for prescriptions with a time release component many generics have big issues. They can replicate the drug, but not the time release so lots of people have trouble with them. For OTC stuff though yeah go generic.

It's not just prescription drugs, Generics even for Otc can vary widely in quality. Admittedly, ibuprofen and aspirins are probably fine, but I've heard of wide variations in quality in proton pump inhibitors for heartburn, for instance.

I'd add luggage and clothes with a strongly functional purpose (rain/winter coats, belts).

Pop Tarts. I moved out because my mother refused to acknowledge there is a difference between actual Pop Tarts and Great Value Toaster Pastries.

i like to get higher quality clothes, especially if its higher dress type clothing. Also i get more expensive groceries. Im not buying meat for example thats full of chemicals, additives, etc. I don't mind spending the extra $$ on food to get organic, chemical and additive free types.

Shoes & bed(+pillow etc.) definetely. Watch is also a good one.

Don't go cheap on a mattress. Thing of the actual amount of time in your lifetime spent sleeping (ideally in bed), and then don't feel bad for paying a grip.

This is what I was about to say. I'll always be willing to pay more for a nice mattress.

Don't go cheap on a mattress. Thing of the actual amount of time in your lifetime spent sleeping (ideally in bed), and then don't feel bad for paying a grip.

Your user name reminded me of one.

Hard alcohol, especially vodka...go cheap!

Especially anything you're going to mix...go cheap.

The people that say you get a worse hangover from cheap liquor, I don't buy that for a second. You're getting a hangover because of the alcohol, not the "additives" or "impurities" that might show up in cheaper booze.

Gray Goose vs Popov...only about 5% of people could identify a difference in a blind taste test if tasting them straight and 0% if mixed with soda or whatever.

Even things like Scotch or Bourbon...I don't want to derail the thread because this is a very sensitive subject with some people, but I've given the blind taste tests to my hardcore Bourbon loving buddies and they are ALL OVER the place...zero correlation between price and taste when they don't know what it is they are tasting. And I'm talking about $1k bottles in the mix here, Papy Van Winkle and shit. I've never seen a guy as pissed as my friend when he chose Woodford over the Papy Van Winkle I think he blew a guy to get.

Freakonomics did a podcast about a high fallutin' wine lover's club that always drank $100+ bottles of wine...they failed miserably at blind taste tests between $15 bottles and $100 bottles....they ended up preferring the cheaper wine.

Your user name reminded me of one.

Hard alcohol, especially vodka...go cheap!

Especially anything you're going to mix...go cheap.

The people that say you get a worse hangover from cheap liquor, I don't buy that for a second. You're getting a hangover because of the alcohol, not the "additives" or "impurities" that might show up in cheaper booze.

Gray Goose vs Popov...only about 5% of people could identify a difference in a blind taste test if tasting them straight and 0% if mixed with soda or whatever.

Even things like Scotch or Bourbon...I don't want to derail the thread because this is a very sensitive subject with some people, but I've given the blind taste tests to my hardcore Bourbon loving buddies and they are ALL OVER the place...zero correlation between price and taste when they don't know what it is they are tasting. And I'm talking about $1k bottles in the mix here, Papy Van Winkle and shit. I've never seen a guy as pissed as my friend when he chose Woodford over the Papy Van Winkle I think he blew a guy to get.

Freakonomics did a podcast about a high fallutin' wine lover's club that always drank $100+ bottles of wine...they failed miserably at blind taste tests between $15 bottles and $100 bottles....they ended up preferring the cheaper wine.

my cheap wine > expensive wine. Seriously the more expensive wine ive tasted the more ive hated it. Although i do hate dry wine

Most people piss away money on comprehensive insurance plans thinking they are getting "value" that isn't there.

My mattress is one of the most expensive things I own and I've never slept better going on five years now. Every girl that's slept in it loves it. Will never get a cheap mattress again.

I don't buy a lot of stuff, but if I do I buy good stuff. I'd much rather have one good guitar or BJJ gi or kettlebell or whatever than 2 crappy ones. The main thing is to make sure you really want something before you buy it, and once you buy something keep it for a long time. I buy fairly good clothes and shoes, but I wear them forever. I typically buy good food and booze as well as it's not that much more expensive and it's a lot better than cheap shit.

I'd say if there are things you're going to skimp on, skimp on cars and housing. By that I don't mean get a shitty car or house, but don't lock yourself in to high monthly payments to have a Benz instead of a Toyota or a 4th bedroom you don't need. Be very wary of buying big stuff that you can't use often. For example, maybe think twice about getting that Jacuzzi.

I go back and forth on clothes.

Sometimes I'll pick up a few things at Target and be like, "this is fucking great, why would I pay more money, these things are fine...a polo shirt is a polo shirt..."

But then I'll look in my closet and realize all of the clothes I've had in there for many years that ended up being my favorites are the more expensive brand name ones...they just seem to last and wash way better.

Go cheap on chicks.

Can go cheap on tools too if there's no moving parts, i.e. hammers, etc. Yard sales are great for those.

Clothes can be tough. Nicer clothes should not be gone cheap on though. Cheap suits are not worth it. Unless you're a 14 year old going to homecoming then get the fuck out of Men's Warehouse or Jos. A Bank.

This is a good one, minus the razors. But cheap q-tips fucking suck. I made that mistake once and never again will I buy off brand q-tips.

My old mattress was my step mom's old one, so it was a good one, but now my girlfriend and I use hers which is top notch and so damn comfortable. Really makes a difference.

Nailed it.

Scott's TP should be a violation of the Geneva Convention.

Back