Things you can go cheap on vs. things you should spend on

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by jackietreehorn8, Aug 11, 2015.

1. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

When it comes to purchasing a given product/service, there are generally different price levels you can choose from. Wal-Mart clothes vs Ralph Lauren...salon haircut vs Great Clips...Advil vs generic Ibuprofen....etc.

What things out there are you just as well off with if you buy the cheaper product vs dropping dat Anderson Silva $$ on the name brand product?

Conversely, what products/services should you NEVER skimp on?

2. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Don't skimp on Coffee. Never that freeze dried tasters choice. Always spring for the serious gourmet shit.

3. RollSonnenRoll

RollSonnenRoll On the square. On the level.

I never go cheap on experiences. If I'm going to a concert/event then I'm getting good seats. I want to enjoy it, not just say that I was there with a $15 lawn ticket.

No problem going cheap on clothes but never on shoes. Expensive shoes pay for themselves.

4. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

Interesting.

If you're talking about instant coffee vs brewed, that's not even fair.

But a $9.99 bag of cheap coffee vs a $19.99 bag of high end stuff....I bet you do a blind taste test and there is no correlation between the one people like better and the price. Meaning, just as many people would say they like the cheap brand vs. the expensive brand. Which would put this in the "things you can go cheap on" category.

5. Dizzy

Dizzy \[T]/ Platinum Member

Gotta splurge on TP.

6. MeatheadMike

MeatheadMike Brown Belt

Generic medications are the same as the name brands who's patents expired. Check the back to see the active ingredients. If same, no point spending extra. I buy store brand for lots of packaged food like cereal too, usually not much difference aside from price.

For clothing, you don't really want too go too cheap because it will wear out quickly, but you don't want to go too expensive either because then you are just paying for designer names. Middle of the road stuff here

Stuff that you usually want to spend more on are things that you use heavily every day like cell phone, car, mattress etc.

7. weich

weich Silver Belt

I think it's good to spend money on things that can last for a while. Things like shoes, sweaters, suits, cookware, knives, etc.

I buy generic brands for things like sandwich bags, aluminum foil, dental floss, and other crap like that.

I don't buy them much anymore, but never skimp on pizza rolls. The generics are the fucking worst, and it's not like the name brand are gourmet.

8. Prime Yossarian

Prime Yossarian Brown Belt

Helmets, condoms and tools.

9. scrubido

scrubido Brown Belt

Tooty fruities > fruit loops

10. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

-Medication
    -Shoes
    -Watches (Used to wear those cheap 'bling' ones that kiosks sold, pos always died out within a few months, be the battery, hands, strap, etc.)

-Sparring equipment (Used to go cheap here before as well, but recently used a good pair of shinguards, not going cheap anymore here)

I hear car insurance shouldn't be dirt cheap either

11. BearGrounds

BearGrounds A great many scalps.

On the frontier, west of the Hudson river.
    Yea, well...

[​IMG]

:icon_chee

12. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

This might be the most obvious one.

And it's not a small price difference either. The name brand otc meds can easily be double the store brand. Just last night I was looking for infant Tylenol and the Tylenol brand was $7.99 vs store brand $2.99. I was reading everything on both boxes trying to figure out the difference, but there is literally no difference. Crazy.

13. greygoose

greygoose Brown Belt

Don't go cheap on a mattress. Think of the actual amount of time in your lifetime spent sleeping (ideally in bed), and then don't feel bad for paying a grip.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015
  14. panamaican

panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Don't go cheap on shoes, medicine or good women.

Edit: Post above is right about the mattress. Basically, anything that you're going to be using for a long time - spend the money to get it done right. Even if it means sacrificing some other stuff in the short run.

15. KhabibTheBeagle

KhabibTheBeagle Papi de la Sherdog

I don't mind spending extra for a nice shirt every once in a while. I prefer name-brand food items, but I'm not fussy enough to refuse a bargain. You should never skrimp on hookers. You gotta drop that heavy skrilla on a clean dame, or risk getting the clap or some shit.

16. DaDamn

DaDamn Purple Belt

a good can opener is worth the price.

17. Jack Reacheround

Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

It just depends on your preferences. I buy generic medicine, like ibuprofen. I buy expensive toilet paper because I don't want everything sticking to my ass.

One thing to never skimp on is contractors. When remodeling your house, pay the extra money to get good contractors. We recently remodeled and had one company do the counter tops and cabinets. We had another company do the floors. The first company was considerably more expensive. But they did a great job. The flooring company was fairly cheap. They fucked up almost everywhere and stole my lockblade knife. We had to keep calling their manager and having them sent back to correct the problems.

18. DrDune

DrDune Purple Belt

Came here to say this. Things that I will use for a long period of time or frequently are things I do not skimp on.

Example: I also make sure my office chair is high quality. It amazes me how many people spend 8+ hours per day in a $30 Office Depot POS. Aside from looking like garbage and typically being uncomfortable, a better chair offers far more body support. Anyhow, it's worth it tenfold and this is an example of something that I use daily and won't go cheap on.

19. anaconda

anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Conventional wisdom is to never skimp on the three things that go between you and the ground- Your shoes, your tires, and your mattress.

I agree in general generic medications are fine, but for prescriptions with a time release component many generics have big issues. They can replicate the drug, but not the time release so lots of people have trouble with them. For OTC stuff though yeah go generic.

20. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

Personally I think you can skimp on cars these days. They basically don't make a bad car anymore. If your goal is transportation and not flossing for the womenz or racing around like a maniac, $25k can get you everything you need and more. It's reliable, comfortable, cheaper to maintain, etc.