• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Things that are surprisingly worse with new technology

Advertising and commercials in EVERYTHING
The internet in general, scams and fakes sites everywhere now
And Goddamm spam Robo calling from India or China

Change for the sake of change. Most of us have probably experienced this in recent years with some browser, application, etc. Some of them operate very well, yet they still feel the need to constantly change things that more often than not make them shittier to use.

This x100. Most Gen Z people will not understand but Microsoft Windows used to be really good. Windows 95, 98 and XP were great operating systems. I still think Windows XP was peak Microsoft. It has been downhill since that time. Windows 7 was decent but everything after 7 has sucked especially 8.

Redo the driveway and carport, redo the whole pool area, put in a nice gazebo/BBQ area up top, other stuff like cameras around the place, some landscaping etc, the wine cellar needs work and I want to put a large, bolted in fireproof safe under the house...

By the end of it, I'll probably spend like a million dollars renovating this place but it'll be badass.
I need to get another gun safe
err storage safe, thanks for the reminder.

Was gonna say car dashes, but y'all had that covered right away.

Uhhh...people with phones having access to the internet.

I'm finding really basic things that I've been doing all my life to be difficult as of late.

Making accounts for example. There is always something missing or wrong, or they won't accept the password that I put in, so I have to adjust the passwords that I've been using for twenty years, put something funky in them and then forget them days after.

Being on a helpline isn't great, so I just look for someone to talk to as soon as I can. Shame it takes forty minutes or more.

I think that multiplayer gaming has been somewhat broken due to it's reliance on auto-matchmaking and gamers obsession with min-maxing. I shouldn't play a game like Ark and feel isolated.
"Min-maxing"? What's that?
You also get to drive around town , listen to your fave jams and interact with folks if you go out shopping instead of staying home.

I only shop on line for hard to get things I won't find in the store. And I'd kill for there Tobe an entire gi joe isle like when we were kids and to never fuck with ebay again. People are slick at hiding damage and it sucks. Like I wish I could drive to some ones house and smack them with a yellow wiffle ball bat for selling me a blue Sgt slather with a painted cracked thumb!
"Sergeant Slather"...

Reminds me of the scene from Super Troopers something like "would you please stop lathering your ass" haha!

Game consoles.

Used to be able to get a new console, connect it up, chuck in your game & boom.....you're playing.

Now you plug it in, sign into bullshit, put in a game & download crap for hours....then you can start playing.

<WhitmanDefeat>
This ........ /thread

I miss having a game throwing it in and playing. Xbox 360 was last consecutive of that era. Once X1 PS4. Came on scene graphics we better but it made everything so cumbersome to start.

Washing machines suck. I don't need a computer screen and motherboard to do a load of laundry. Just something else that will stop working and need repair or won't be repairable. And the high efficiency washers without agitators just suck. They don't get clothes clean like the old ones did and don't use enough water either.

They probably have WiFi calling on. That’s terrible and is usually enabled by default.

Honestly, I find most tech better these days. I recently purchased a new heat pump to replace a 20 year old one and it’s incredibly more quiet and efficient. Same with appliances.

I think what has slipped is excitement for new tech. It’s not radical leaps like it used to be. It’s just incremental. Also, stuff doesn’t seem built to last as long. Other than that, it’s better to me.

How have car batteries not improved to be 5 years or better?

In fact, their warranties now only go for 2 years instead of 3 because they want you to buy a new one

Talk about a big scam

You can use raw audio on zoom but you'll get the delay which landlines didn't have. However, landline phones were lofi it's just the lack of delay makes it feel more direct

Completely disagree... old-school analog landlines were much higher fidelity than what we have today. Sort of like comparing a vinyl record to a crappy mp3... there is some noise associate with analog that's non-existence with digital, but it's not "bad noise" and the overall richness and tone is more natural.

Of course landlines started going digital long before cel-phones came out--you got to be old like me to remember how great they sounded in the early 70's and how every year it seemed to get worse and worse--got really bad in the 90s.

Game consoles.

Used to be able to get a new console, connect it up, chuck in your game & boom.....you're playing.

Now you plug it in, sign into bullshit, put in a game & download crap for hours....then you can start playing.

<WhitmanDefeat>
Absolutely. I hate that shit. I’m looking at you XBox series X.

Back