Television They should make 80s and 90s slasher sequels as TV shows

New TV shows are full of trash so I came up with an idea.

They should make horror slasher films from the 80s and 90s as TV series the same way they're doing with superhero movies. We never saw the full backstory of the killers and the movies always felt rushed so the directors can start from scratch and will have plenty of ideas to keep each one of them running for 2-4 seasons. They will be hyped for nostalgic reasons so Netflix and the likes can see the $$$ potential in this.

I want to see Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and the Hills of Eyes series etc where we can actually see their normal innocent life in season 1 before they turn evil in season 2. Most people tend to forget what led them to become one because they weren't properly introduced.

Thoughts?

Knowing how studios butcher classics these days, Freddy Krueger would probably be played by a transgender obese actor of color, and renamed to Frieda Krueger, and the reason for xer murderous rampage was because of systemic oppression

I love your idea but @Get To Da Choppa is spot on. They would just ruin all of the classic movies/shows with SJW BS that we don't need.

New TV shows are full of trash so I came up with an idea.

They should make horror slasher films from the 80s and 90s as TV series the same way they're doing with superhero movies. We never saw the full backstory of the killers and the movies always felt rushed so the directors can start from scratch and will have plenty of ideas to keep each one of them running for 2-4 seasons. They will be hyped for nostalgic reasons so Netflix and the likes can see the $$$ potential in this.

I want to see Freddy Krueger, Michael Myers, Jason Voorhees and the Hills of Eyes series etc where we can actually see their normal innocent life in season 1 before they turn evil in season 2. Most people tend to forget what led them to become one because they weren't properly introduced.

Thoughts?
I think they went into freddy's back story in the last noes movie where his daughter kills him ? I think they mentioned Freddie s mom in another noes. I mean
It could be a interesting idea

Knowing how studios butcher classics these days, Freddy Krueger would probably be played by a transgender obese actor of color, and renamed to Frieda Krueger, and the reason for xer murderous rampage was because of systemic oppression
No pun intended?

Would love to see a shared universe between the big 3 (Jason, Michael, and Freddy) as a series that ignores the film series and creates a new canon of sorts. I love the old movies but not a lot of great serializarion between the movies.

Im assuming if the Chucky TV series that’s supposed to come out this year does well that would open things up for the other guys.

This could work for some franchises if done properly.

Have you watched CastleRock? More specifically season 2

What did you think of the TV show, "Slasher"?
The first season was ok, the second one was great and the third one was just <{CMPALM}>
Didnt they try this already sort of. I forget the name but it was a few years ago on the networks n was on the order of scream. It failed miserably.
It was ok to me, shame it got stopped.
Have you watched CastleRock? More specifically season 2
I haven't, the plot sounds interesting so will check it out.

Last edited:
I just want to be clear on what I meant when I said TV shows are littered with trash. Didn't mean slasher but random cop and drama shows etc. Good shows being aired simultaneously are rare these days.
explaining the monster is the worst thing you can do
And those monsters have an interesting backstory. They can start with the mental health angle first like they did with some classics recently (Bates Motel, Joker etc) so we can have mixed opinions about them instead of straight up calling them monsters and such.

Examples like focusing on Crystal Lake and the abusive Voorhees family before Jason. Sawyer family and raising Leatherface who is a 4 years old autist in an adult body, Freddy seen as outcast to the town, falsely accused as a molester while detectives does investigations for the missing children, gets trialed multiple times then his house gets burned in the end when judge found him innocent etc and second season would be about vengeance.

You get the picture...I know it sounds almost unrealistic but hopefully Chucky TV opens the door for them to bring back the slasher classics of the 80s/90s.

Last edited:
plus the slashers of the time (and there are literally thousands of good ones) are still worth watching even now, especially in today's cancelling :eek::eek::eek:gatory culture that we're silently agreeing to (if you're into slasher movies obviously)
I tried searching Wolf Creek movies in here and surprisingly, it hasn't been mentioned yet (prolly cos it's Australian), it's one of the best slasher movie of all time for me. No nonsense, just pure realism and sadism.

They made it into a TV show (don't bother with season 1) and it was great. Shame they cancelled season 3 because the main character got metoo'ed.

Last edited:
I tried searching Wolf Creek movies in here and surprisingly, it hasn't been mentioned yet (prolly cos it's Australian), it's one of the best slasher movie of all time for me. No nonsense, just pure realism and sadism.

They made it into a TV show (don't bother with season 1) and it was great. Shame they cancelled season 3 because the main character got metoo'ed.

I forgot about that, I watched the first seasona and thought it was OK, is season 2 much better?

I forgot about that, I watched the first seasona and thought it was OK, is season 2 much better?
Absolutely because you get to see the killer more. It felt like a proper Wolf Creek movie.

I just want to be clear on what I meant when I said TV shows are littered with trash. Didn't mean slasher but random cop and drama shows etc. Good shows being aired simultaneously are rare these days.
And those monsters have an interesting backstory. They can start with the mental health angle first like they did with some classics recently (Bates Motel, Joker etc) so we can have mixed opinions about them instead of straight up calling them monsters and such.

Examples like focusing on Crystal Lake and the abusive Voorhees family before Jason. Sawyer family and raising Leatherface who is a 4 years old autist in an adult body, Freddy seen as outcast to the town, falsely accused as a molester while detectives does investigations for the missing children, gets trialed multiple times then his house gets burned in the end when judge found him innocent etc and second season would be about vengeance.

You get the picture...I know it sounds almost unrealistic but hopefully Chucky TV opens the door for them to bring back the slasher classics of the 80s/90s.

nope, sorry, that is all garbage. Ruins the movies.

I really enjoyed Ash vs. The Evil Dead. It's not exactly what TS suggests, but they really captured the vibe of Evil Dead and it was a fun show.

A Friday the 13th show that focused on the battle between Tommy Jarvis and Jason could be really interesting, detailing Tommy's traumatic childhood where Jason murdered his family, his ensuing struggles with his own sanity and his obsessive focus on destroying Jason once and for all. Jarvis's nature as a societal outcast whose suspected of committing many of his arch-enemy's murders, whose whole life has been shaped by his battle with Jason, could make for a pretty interesting show in my opinion. I always thought it was interesting how Tommy Jarvis was a guy who could barely keep it together mentally and was unable to live a normal functioning life, but at the same time, could do one thing that nobody else could do--stop Jason.

Along those lines, a Nightmare on Elm Street series that featured the Dream Warriors as major characters could be really interesting. Dream Warriors was my favorite entry in the series but I still thought there was a lot of untapped potential in the concept and the characters. I also think a series where you saw their growth, from haunted Elm Street children, to tormented teens and finally, as a united front of dream-powered enemies to take on Freddy could be pretty cool. Especially if characters got picked off en route to the series' finale.

explaining the monster is the worst thing you can do
If the monster is Michael Myers, then yes. I don't think explanations would hurt Jason all that much, depending on what the explanations were grounded in. We know a lot about Freddy and he is still works; the backstories we got in 1 and 3 only served to enhance his mystique. Likewise, we know Chucky's origin, but that doesn't hurt his viability as an evil antagonist.

If the monster is Michael Myers, then yes. I don't think explanations would hurt Jason all that much, t.

We already got the explanation in f13 pt 1. He was a fruitcake looking dork ass kid that drowned because the counselor's were fucking. That is all we need to know.

They totally ruined the Cenobites in Hellraiser 2 by 'splaning them

there is no need to explain Leatherface ffs

Freddy Kruegar is already explained in NOES, he was a child murderer that got burned to death by parents in the town.

Poltergeist - left a graveyard in the backyard that got dug up to make a pool (not a slasher)

Scream <-- dad fucked std's whore mother and his parents' got divorced

these are as deep as these explanations need to be, we don't need to see potato Jason get pantsed and fart blossom'd and all this...

We already got the explanation in f13 pt 1. He was a fruitcake looking dork ass kid that drowned because the counselor's were fucking. That is all we need to know.

They totally ruined the Cenobites in Hellraiser 2 by 'splaning them

there is no need to explain Leatherface ffs

Freddy Kruegar is already explained in NOES, he was a child murderer that got burned to death by parents in the town.

Poltergeist - left a graveyard in the backyard that got dug up to make a pool (not a slasher)

Scream <-- dad fucked std's whore mother and his parents' got divorced

these are as deep as these explanations need to be, we don't need to see potato Jason get pantsed and fart blossom'd and all this...
Dream Warriors expanded on Freddy's origin and it only served to make the character even scarier than he already was. The 'bastard son of a 100 maniacs' backstory with Amanda Krueger was a great addition to the lore.

Friday the 13th 2 and 3 contributed to Jason's backstory, explaining his survival or rebirth following the drowning, how he watched his mother get executed, etc. Jason Goes to Hell suggested that Elias Vorhees studied the Necronomicon. None of that damaged Jason's character.

Halloween left Michael shrouded in mystery, but the revelation that Laurie was his sister also added to the character and really, it only made him even more enigmatic than he already was. Other movies have diminished the character by humanizing him or, in the case of part 6, going too deep into his mystic roots, which are better hinted at, as they were in part 2, rather than explained.

Ultimately, it just depends on the character and the nature of the additions to the backstory. Sometimes it works, as in Dream Warriors or Halloween 2, which I'd call home runs that way, and sometimes it totally backfires, as in the Nightmare on Elm Street reboot or Rob Zombie's Halloween or Halloween part 6.

Friday the 13th 2 and 3 contributed to Jason's backstory

F13 pt 2 is different because they are talking about the time period between jason at the end of pt1 and the beginning of pt2.

pt 3 was just talking about him messing with the final girl years earlier from what I remember.

Back