These fan-bases you're ashamed of being part of...

I'm ashamed to tell people I'm conservative with our choice of candidates. Then I realize they will pick Hilary and have a hardy laugh/cry.

People at the gym were giving me shit for saying Conor would beat Mendes. I said he would knock him out and they said Mendes would wrestlefuck him.

well you were both correct lol.

Shogun fans used to be horrible but they aren't bad anymore.

Probably the most obnoxious fanbase on this forum the last few years is Anderson Silva's.

the below statements are not blanket statements. there are plenty of people that are great, balanced and informed fans.

however, i have seen this to be true in most cases.

Fanbases:

ronda's = hysterical,defensive, loud and delusional
conor - rude, arrogant, loud and clueless about the sport
fedor - price nostalgiacs, somewhat delusional, very very defensive, arrogant know-it-alls
jones - typical just bleed bro, rarely actual fans of the sport, most likely to drop ship out of any other fighter fanbase
silva - super defensive, a bit more educated than the average, truth avoiders
Cormier, weidman - don't have fan bases, just scattered fans.
nick diaz - lie about smoking pot, never actually been "in the hood", know little about the sport, bro.
Joanna - single men, knowledgeable about the sport, most likely not a ronda fan

i hope i offended everybody. have a nice weekend.

Shogun fans used to be horrible but they aren't bad anymore.

Probably the most obnoxious fanbase on this forum the last few years is Anderson Silva's.

Silva's are by far the worst. Shogun fans finally came back to reality after Chael sub'd him in the 1st round. lol

I was at an Irish friend's BBQ (old school MMA fan, we started following the sport together around the beginning of PRIDE) yesterday, who went to the UFC McGregor/Mendes event, and of course after a few beers we all started talking about MMA.

He is a big Conor fan, and some of his friends who were there as well (they are MMA fans in general and respect/like Mendes), they had a blast but he told me it was a bit awkward to cheer on him when all the fans presents were so... trashy.

Made me remember when Fedor (one of my 3 fav fighters ever with Shogun and Sakuraba... I'll come back to Shogun later) was undefeated, and some Sherdog posters really embarrassed me (yeah it's not exactly my first account :redface: ) with their not-ironic worshiping - I guess the "McGregor GOAT" stuff is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but there "Fedor is God" posters were dead serious.

"Fedor would beat Tyson in a boxing match"
"Fedor didn't finish Crocop on purpose, he wanted to prove his dominance/make a point by winning a decision"
"Fedor vs Arona wasn't even that close, most of these ignorant haters spreading that rumor don't know how to score a fight"
"Fedor didn't grab the rope against Matt Lindland, why would he need to do that to win that fight in the first place, that myth doesn't even make sense"
(I'm not saying Fedor did it on purpose, that was a reflex, but it did help him get in top position, and yes he most likely would have won the fight anyway but you get my point)

I guess I kind of understand all the Fedor bashing after he lost to Werdum; the bashers probably didn't even dislike him but wanted to shove it in his Sherdog fanatical nuthuggers's asses for all these years of snobbish behavior.

Now about Shogun, it's a different matter... I became a fan during the 2005 PRIDE GP, I was already impressed by his early PRIDE fights and the Rampage beating but the Lil'Nog war was incredible.
And smashing Arona in such a brutal fashion after he demolished poor old Saku, even gouging his cuts when it was totally unnecessary (he had already basically won the fight) + laid-and-prayed Wand in a very frustrating way, it was amazing.

But Mauricio's best weapons were his flying stomps/soccer kicks, so I wasn't that thrilled when he had to go to the UFC... yes he became the champion, beat Lyoto Machida 2 times in a row when he was considered untouchable, but the injuries kept pilling up;

And during his painful decline there was always this loud bunch of delusional sherdog dick-riders who just wouldn't face reality and kept making thread after thread after thread about how Shogun was going to become champ again, how he was still top 3 LHW and
"just wait and see, Shogun will be champ again in 2012... 2013... 2014..."
They finally shut up about it and stopped making tons of threads about how
"Shogun NEVER tapped against Jones, his hand just bumped of the mat!"

(yeah he tapped, how is that shameful? :icon_conf only fat nerds who've never trained a day in their life and live in "kung-fu movies land" think it's a sign of weakness or bullshit like that)

"Shogun got ROBBED against Hendo, he should have won that decision easily!"
(I'm in the "Shogun should have gotten a draw since I counted the last round 10-8, but he didn't win this one")

Before Jones fight:

"Who has Jon Jones beaten? His size advantage doesn't matter, Rua beat Overeem 2x and Cyrille Diabate who was a Muay Thai world champ and was as tall and lanky at Jones didn't pose any problem for Mauricio, he will keep the belt for a long time, mark my words"

After Jones fight:

"It's bullshit, Jones is basically a HW and Shogun is a small LHW who could easily compete at MW, and stop saying he tapped, Shogun-san would never disgrace himself with such shameful display"

Soooo yeah Fedor and Shogun are 2 of my top 3 favorite fighters in MMA, but co-existing with some of their fans was embarrassing at times.

On a positive note, it was awesome to watch Fedor live against Rogers and Arlovski with fellow fans, I've been to many MMA events but these 2 are still special to me, the Fedor crowd was great, especially at "Affliction II"

So in short, who is you favorite fighter that has many threads made about him by many fellow fans that make you shake your head and think "this is exactly because of this kind of shit that people are bashing him :icon_conf " , or embarrasses you when you watch an event live/watch it in a bar full of "UFC fans"?

RF
Where in ireland is your irish friend from..?

I love following/rooting for McGregor but the scale of the mcgregor fanbots is ridiculous.

Pffffff, ashamed of being on Sherdog, c'mon. We all know you'd totally rock a Sherdog t-shirt with your account name on the back and come to all the Sherdog meet-ups and bro-fist every single one of us and have a good time.

Lately being a Joe Lauzon fan has been a headache. The guy takes a stance that isn't "Fuck Reebok and the UFC" over the Stitch situation and all of a sudden being a 'company man' is an insult. That was kind of exacerbated when he did his Palhares video breakdown while wearing his Reebok gear.

I'm not ashamed of being a fan of the guy by any means but I don't ever remember having to justify it before the last few weeks.

Signing your name RF at the bottom of your posts is super gay

giphy.gif

Back