There is no controversy in the first Gustafsson/Jones fight

I dislike JBJ, but there was no controversy.

There's a lot of people that think Gustafsson won, so there was controversy. Your personal opinion doesn't matter in that regard.

The only controversy tends to be from people who want to see Jones lose.

I agree. It's funny. Now that the rematch has been booked, I see those exact people picking Jones to win the rematch.

Naw, I've already read countless Jones won arguments very similar to yours. I still have Gus winning 48-47 but, have no issues with 48-47 Jones. The people who say Jones won 49-46 or 50-45 seriously need to get their eyes examined.

This. In a perfect world it would have been 48-48 and an argument can be made either way.

Stupidity only enters the argument when some dork claims it wasn't close or controversial.

I agree. It's funny. Now that the rematch has been booked, I see those exact people picking Jones to win the rematch.

Can you point out those people and show us where they said they wanted Jones to lose and where they said there are picking him in the rematch?

Naw, I've already read countless Jones won arguments very similar to yours. I still have Gus winning 48-47 but, have no issues with 48-47 Jones. The people who say Jones won 49-46 or 50-45 seriously need to get their eyes examined.

This is correct. I had Gus (and I wasn't listening to sound so let's squash that now). I felt Jones did well, but I didn't see him winning. When a fight is that close I look at "who would I rather be at the end of the fight but before the decision is announced."....... I'd have rather been Gus.

Yes. That is indeed Jones's knee flying up in the air to make contact with the upper portion of Gus's body.

By this logic all punches that hit shoulders are significant strikes.

There's a lot of people that think Gustafsson won, so there was controversy. Your personal opinion doesn't matter in that regard.

Said "controversy" only occurred because of the fact that there is so much hate for Jones. Clouds judgement quite easily.

Pretty much every media member scored the fight for Jones:

pX8hs78.png

Can you point out those people and show us where they said they wanted Jones to lose and where they said there are picking him in the rematch?

No. But I will provide you reading material:

Majority of people saying Gus won: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-do-you-think-won-jon-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-2564389/

Majority of people picking Jones to win in the rematch: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...-gustafsson-ii-set-ufc-178-sept-27-a-2756227/

I'll leave the cross matching to you. I'm sure you know how to read.

Said "controversy" only occurred because of the fact that there is so much hate for Jones. Clouds judgement quite easily.

There's really no logic here. By that assessment, those who voted against Gus or for Jones did so based on their clouded judgement as well, so nobody knew what actually happened.

pX8hs78.png

You know what they say, if you want to beat the champ, don't leave it in the hands of the judges.

That fight, and those scores are a very good example of why this saying exists.

Close fights tend to be leaned toward the champ, regardless if he's slightly winning, slightly losing, or in a draw.

I scored it 4-1 Jones and was kinda surprised some people thought Gus won and still think he did.

pX8hs78.png

You know the only difference between us and them is that they have a website? If I remember correctly, the polls on this forum were skewed towards Gustafsson. But that doesn't support your argument so let's ignore it.

This is correct. I had Gus (and I wasn't listening to sound so let's squash that now). I felt Jones did well, but I didn't see him winning. When a fight is that close I look at "who would I rather be at the end of the fight but before the decision is announced."....... I'd have rather been Gus.

For me it's more about the rules and my own boxing background. I don't think rocking someone without a knockdown should be counted that highly and there's also other factors in the unified rules that would see Gustafsson as the winner. Excuse the copy pasting:

The unified rules specify cage control (aka ring generalship), effective defense, effective grappling and effective aggression under 14 C, D, F, G, H and I.

-----------

C. Judges shall evaluate mixed martial arts techniques, such as effective striking, effective grappling, control of the ring/fighting area, effective aggressiveness and defense.

D. Evaluations shall be made in the order in which the techniques appear in (c) above, giving the most weight in scoring to effective striking, effective grappling, control of the fighting area and effective aggressiveness and defense.

F. Effective grappling is judged by considering the amount of successful executions of a legal takedown and reversals. Examples of factors to consider are take downs from standing position to mount position, passing the guard to mount position, and bottom position fighters using an active threatening guard.

G. Fighting area control is judged by determining who is dictating the pace, location and position of the bout. Examples of factors to consider are countering a grappler's attempt at takedown by remaining standing and legally striking, taking down an opponent to force a ground fight, creating threatening submission attempts, passing the guard to achieve mount, and creating striking opportunities.

H. Effective aggressiveness means moving forward and landing a legal strike.

I. Effective defense means avoiding being struck, taken down or reversed while countering with offensive attacks

http://www.ufc.com/discover/sport/rules-and-regulations

Simply put. If you feel Alex got the better of the striking and the wrestling (two trips and a td plus effective defense in the form of stuffed TDs) and showed cage control/ring generalship (ie; dictated where and how the fight would take place) during those first four rounds, then at least three of them are his irrespective of how close the striking was or how you measure leg kicks (almost 1/2 of Jon's output) vs head strikes (almost 2/3 of Alex's output) etc.

By this logic all punches that hit shoulders are significant strikes.

Well, depends on the severity of said punch. I would imagine if you hit the shoulder and it got dislocated (somehow), then that's pretty significant.

You know the only difference between us and them is that they have a website? If I remember correctly, the polls on this forum were skewed towards Gustafsson. But that doesn't support your argument so let's ignore it.

Oblivious to the fact that this forum almost universally blatantly hates Jones.

Gustafsson admitted that he knew the fight was too close for him to take the belt from Jones. If Gus was the champ he would have possibly taken the decision but since he was the challenger and left it up to the judges there is no need to whine about a robbery.

And below is a sample of too much love for Jones clouding judgement.

I scored it 4-1 Jones and was kinda surprised some people thought Gus won and still think he did.

The door swings both ways.

C'mon man, that can't be your reason behind the poll results. There is controversy to the fight, why do you thing people are still saying, 10 months later, that Gus won and the fight was razor close.

No. But I will provide you reading material:

Majority of people saying Gus won: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2/who-do-you-think-won-jon-jones-vs-alexander-gustafsson-2564389/

Majority of people picking Jones to win in the rematch: http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/f2...-gustafsson-ii-set-ufc-178-sept-27-a-2756227/

I'll leave the cross matching to you. I'm sure you know how to read.

Lol thanks for providing they poll, please refer to my previous post.

As for this post, you're an idiot. You're assuming that 1) everyone thought Gustafsson won solely because they wanted Jones to lose 2) and probably some other stuff that I'm too lazy to think of. But it's possible to think someone won a fight and think they would lose a rematch... Nothing to do with wanting someone to win or lose...

I think a flying knee landing is much more significant then a trip (which by the way, Jones looked to have blocked).

Not if the knee barely grazes Gus. Personally I think rd 4 could be given to both fighters calling it a clear 10 - 9 (for anyone) is dumb.

The truest statement made about these forums. Never have I seen such vitriol directed towards a single fighter on a daily basis. Just the other day a poster went well beyond fighter bashing and was actually wishing death upon him, which the moderators of course ignored.

Back