There is no controversy in the first Gustafsson/Jones fight

PSX

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've watched the fight many times now (not that hard to do considering how great it is). I've always scored it 48-47 Jones. It's very straight forward scoring imo. Similar to Lawler/Hendricks.

Rd 1: Gus grazed him and opened up Jones's eyebrow. Plus taking him down was huge. Clear 10-9 for Gustafsson.

Rd 2: Jones is in control of the entire round landing a couple nice head kicks and elbows. Gus defends all takedown attempts, but doesn't do enough to win the round. 10-9 Jones.

Rd 3: Close round. Both landed some solid shots. I'm not going fault you for scoring this for Gus or Jones. Personally, I had it 10-9 Gus, but 10-9 Jones is acceptable. It won't change the outcome of the fight anyways.

Rd 4: This was strangely enough, Gus's strongest round in terms of volume and clean shots. He was in complete control until Jones lands a devastating elbow which was probably the most significant strike of the entire fight. Hurt Gustafsson bad. Had the round gone on a couple more minutes, might've been a finish. Ends with a flying knee by Jon. Easy 10-9 Jones.

Rd 5: The round where Jones got a takedown, and started spamming head kick. Pretty clear round for Jones.

It is a close fight in the sense that it is a 1 round fight, and had Jones not landed that elbow in rd4, we'd be looking at a new champ right now. The people who say that the fight was a "robbery" are just plain wrong and need to stop sipping' the Jones haterade.

That being said, I definitely think Gus deserves a rematch. It was Jones's toughest challenge by far, and if he makes a couple adjustments, he can definitely take the belt. Just the fact that he landed the amount he did should've garnered him a rematch.

There's just no "controversy" in the first fight. Very much like Lawler/Hendricks. Pretty clean and cut.

Also, if you don't believe me, almost all the media scored this fight 48-47.

3-2 jones and that's it....close fight but clear finish. Gus gets the feel good prize of beating the shit out of jones but the W is with the Champ.

Till sept 27 th we wait

Jones is so smart in the cage, he adjusts when he's in danger and goes in for the kill. He noticed Gus' routine head duck whenever he threw a jab, that's how Jon knew when to spin the elbow and knock his head out precisely. There is no lucky hit. Jones won that round because he figured out a hole in Gus' fighting style and capitalized on it with the game changing spinning elbow. Jones deserved that win.

Rd 4: This was strangely enough, Gus's strongest round in terms of volume and clean shots. He was in complete control until Jones lands a devastating elbow which was probably the most significant strike of the entire fight. Hurt Gustafsson bad. Had the round gone on a couple more minutes, might've been a finish. Ends with a flying knee by Jon. Easy 10-9 Jones.

ImperturbableIdealisticBlackrhino.gif

Oh okay.

Did you hear that guys! This guy says there's no controversy. So we're good now.

Oh okay.

Did you hear that guys! This guy says there's no controversy. So we're good now.

Thank f**k. I was beginning to believe this would never get resolved. And then "Jon Jones won the fight!!!" thread #287149612873658761245812746 comes along and holy shit... I'm totally convinced.

Yes. That is indeed Jones's knee flying up in the air to make contact with the upper portion of Gus's body.

And that's Alex tripping him to the ground.

No controversy yay, I've been scratching my head about the decision for the past 10 months now.

Yes. That is indeed Jones's knee flying up in the air to make contact with the upper portion of Gus's body.

I think he was trying to point out you had an obvious agnenda missed the detail about gus throwing jones on his ass to end the round

And that's Alex tripping him to the ground.

I think a flying knee landing is much more significant then a trip (which by the way, Jones looked to have blocked).

I dislike JBJ, but there was no controversy. Gus started off strong, but couldn't finish strong. I'm excited for the rematch. I'm pulling for Gus, but I think JBJ will work to take Gus down and go for a finish.

Jon Jones via TKO.

I think he was trying to point out you had an obvious agnenda missed the detail about gus throwing jones on his ass to end the round

Yes, I forgot this is Sherdog. Posters here focus on every little detail and technicality.

I think a flying knee landing is much more significant then a trip (which by the way, Jones looked to have blocked).

I think catching a flying knee to get a single and trip him is more significant than throwing a flying knee, have it caught and get tripped.

Besides my point was you said the knee ended the round, which is untrue.

Dear God, save me from these JJ vs Gus threads. This shit is worse than dental
surgery. A week of this shit.

The only controversy tends to be from people who want to see Jones lose.

I think catching a flying knee to get a single and trip him is more significant than throwing a flying knee, have it caught and get tripped.

In which case, your thinking is wrong.

Besides my point was you said the knee ended the round, which is untrue.

I'm devastated by that.

I'm glad I was able to enlighten you.

Naw, I've already read countless Jones won arguments very similar to yours. I still have Gus winning 48-47 but, have no issues with 48-47 Jones. The people who say Jones won 49-46 or 50-45 seriously need to get their eyes examined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back