There is no controversy in the first Gustafsson/Jones fight

You know what they say, if you want to beat the champ, don't leave it in the hands of the judges.

That fight, and those scores are a very good example of why this saying exists.

Close fights tend to be leaned toward the champ, regardless if he's slightly winning, slightly losing, or in a draw.

You're correct in the fact that there is a championship bias when it comes to the judges, but MMA media get's it right most of the time. For example, when Shogun lost to Machida the first time, everyone on earth had Shogun winning except 3 judges.

In this case, the overwhelming majority is saying Jones won.

You know what they say, if you want to beat the champ, don't leave it in the hands of the judges.

That fight, and those scores are a very good example of why this saying exists.

Close fights tend to be leaned toward the champ, regardless if he's slightly winning, slightly losing, or in a draw.

I agree and honestly I'm kinda glad it's that way.

Oblivious to the fact that this forum almost universally blatantly hates Jones.

So then why is Jones winning the poll for the rematch? Come on man don't pretend your assumptions are facts.

it was close as mama mary's V. get over it, Bones won but it could have gone either way.

For me it's more about the rules and my own boxing background. I don't think rocking someone without a knockdown should be counted that highly and there's also other factors in the unified rules that would see Gustafsson as the winner. Excuse the copy pasting:

Simply put. If you feel Alex got the better of the striking and the wrestling (two trips and a td plus effective defense in the form of stuffed TDs) and showed cage control/ring generalship (ie; dictated where and how the fight would take place) during those first four rounds, then at least three of them are his irrespective of how close the striking was or how you measure leg kicks (almost 1/2 of Jon's output) vs head strikes (almost 2/3 of Alex's output) etc.

We're pretty much on the same page. TS lost credibility for me with the "Round ends with flying knee by Jones" anyway. But I dig your styles, fella.

And below is a sample of too much love for Jones clouding judgement.

The door swings both ways.

I don't like Jones as a person but he's a damn good fighter and Gus is mid-tier. Truth hurts, doesn't it? you pansy.

And below is a sample of too much love for Jones clouding judgement.

The door swings both ways.

The door swings both ways, but not evenly. That's an argument if the same number of Jones haters and fans existed. That's not true. Overwhelming majority of people on Sherdog hate Jon Jones. That's a cold hard fact.

C'mon man, that can't be your reason behind the poll results. There is controversy to the fight, why do you thing people are still saying, 10 months later, that Gus won and the fight was razor close.

Because people dislike Jon Jones. They will grasp anything that can possible be used against Jon Jones and use it as ammunition against him.

The door swings both ways, but not evenly. That's an argument if the same number of Jones haters and fans existed. That's not true. Overwhelming majority of people on Sherdog hate Jon Jones. That's a cold hard fact.

I dunno, the pro Jones apologist threads appear to outnumber the Jones hate threads, but that's just what's been floating on the front page last few days.

I see lots of Jones love in here. It's realistically about 50/50 to be objective about it. Which is to be expected with any fighter.

I dunno, the pro Jones apologist threads appear to outnumber the Jones hate threads, but that's just what's been floating on the front page last few days.

I see lots of Jones love in here. It's realistically about 50/50 to be objective about it. Which is to be expected with any fighter.

Laughable statement, plus your sig shows that you aren't exactly objective.

That mid tier fighter sent Jones to the hospital and beat him up pretty good.

True. That was the toughest fight of Jones's career for sure. He was EXHAUSTED and so was Gus. Gus is a very worthy challenger and I think this fight is a pick em.

Lol thanks for providing they poll, please refer to my previous post.

As for this post, you're an idiot. You're assuming that 1) everyone thought Gustafsson won solely because they wanted Jones to lose 2) and probably some other stuff that I'm too lazy to think of. But it's possible to think someone won a fight and think they would lose a rematch... Nothing to do with wanting someone to win or lose...

1) I'm not assuming. People dislike Jones, and thus, people do want Jones to lose.
2) Good argument

So then why is Jones winning the poll for the rematch? Come on man don't pretend your assumptions are facts.

Good question. You would think more people would pick Gustafsson to win the rematch considering the majority of people scored the first fight for Gustafsson.

There's a lot of people that think Gustafsson won, so there was controversy. Your personal opinion doesn't matter in that regard.
Majority of those people who think Gus won don't like JBJ and sh*t on him every chance they get. Watch ths fight again. JBJ won 3 rounds out of 5.

As for my personal opinion, so you're saying my opinion is invalid because it goes against the "popular" verdict of others who say Gus won. That's funny, when did you do your survey? Did you use an entire population or a sample of a population? May I see statistics to validate your point?

You know what kills me? It's people like you who say "your opinion doesn't matter" when in all reality none of our opinions matter. What really matters are facts. And the fact is, Jones won the fight and is still LHW champion. The should of, could of & would of scenarios you pull just shows how you cannot deal with facts. FACT, I can't stand JBJ. FACT, JBJ BEAT Gus. FACT, JBJ is still the UFC LHW champion. With the FACTS that I stated, you can't tell me nothing. FACT!

Laughable statement, plus your sig shows that you aren't exactly objective.

On the contrary my sig shows that I'm VERY objective concerning that fight and considering unified rules.

Your response above and your post history shows you're completely irrational and bias when it comes to anything Jon Jones.

Not if the knee barely grazes Gus. Personally I think rd 4 could be given to both fighters calling it a clear 10 - 9 (for anyone) is dumb.

I don't think you get how big that elbow was in rd4. It had Gustafsson on wobbly legs. He was acting on instinct.

Round 4 is pretty clear Jones. Watch it again.

1) I'm not assuming. People dislike Jones, and thus, people do want Jones to lose.
2) Good argument

Good question. You would think more people would pick Gustafsson to win the rematch considering the majority of people scored the first fight for Gustafsson.

Just because they want him to lose doesn't mean they thought he lost. So yes you are assuming. Trust me I wanted Cain to lose against JDS but I'm not disputing that decision.

You're making it sound like the only argument for Gustafsson winning is "I hate Jones".

So there's no controversy because you've decided there isn't? Way to go champ.

Back