There are two DIFFERENT kinds of "great chins" in elite MMA

Henderson gets dropped all the time...he might have used to be Type-A but even long ago he still got dropped by Newton and Wand and several others.

I don't think he was dropped by Newton, he never fell down he just stumbled. Might me wrong though.

Crappy threads have two different kinds of stupidity in sherdog forums. One stupid thread uses upper case letters for entire words. The other writes lame streams of consciousness in multicolored font. This thread here is therefore stupid X 2!

+1 the colours make it unreadable on mobile.

I've watched every UFC since since UFC 59: Reality Check, and it finally became clear to me tonight that there are two different types of "great chins" ("epic chins" to the youth of the internet) in elite MMA.

Type-B: Someone who can get hit multiple times with full force strikes and not loose consciousness--but will drop to the mat and/or look "rocked."

...Type-A: Someone who can take full force strikes multiple times, not lose consciousness, AND act like nothing ever happened.

When you rank fighters to see who has the best chin, it's not fair--One fighter may take an ungodly amount of punishment and stay awake, but that doesn't mean he has a better chin than someone who took a few serious bombs and didn't break stride. Guys that show the Type-A traits often go unlisted on best chin lists because they don't look like they are taking a lot of damage, but in reality, they are taking serious damage but they just handle it like beasts.

So, who are we talking about here?

Here are some examples of Type-B guys: Fabio Maldonado, Junior Dos Santos, and Frankie Edgar

...Here are some examples of Type-A type guys: Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustafsson, and Jose Aldo

Here are some guys for which a distinction is too close to call for me: Shogun Rua, Dan Henderson, Roy Nelson, Nate Diaz, and BJ Penn

Please post your thoughts, as well as your choices for the best Type-A and/or Type-B fighters, and please separate them as such.

Also, if you were wondering, Jonathan Goulet is a Type-Y guy.

This is probably the dumbest thread of all-time.

Yeah, Alexander Gustafsson and Jose Aldo have better chins than Shogun, Hendo and BJ... That's because Gus and Aldo HAVE NEVER FOUGHT ANYONE. They are at the peak of their careers, are beating B/C-class fighters or past-prime names, and so aren't having to see how their chins coped under a beating from a younger, fresher, faster, busier opponent.

When Shogun and Hendo fought, Rua was 30+ yrs old, Dan was 40+, and they'd both been going toe-to-toe with the best fighters on the planet for a decade or more, and they both went for each other's jugular. When BJ Penn fought Diaz and MacDonald (same as when Shogun fought Jones), he was out of shape and was in the cage with a taller, longer, much heavier, much fresher, much stronger opponent, so of course he was going to be eating leather for most of the contest.

Between them, Shogun, Hendo and Penn have fought, over a 15 or so year period:

Fedor
Peak Big Nog
Peak Anderson Silva
Peak Wanderlei Silva x2
Rampage as UFC champ
Peak Rampage in Pride
Belfort
L'il Nog in Pride
Alistair Overeem
Kevin Randleman
Chuck Liddell
Undefeated Lyoto Machida
Peak Jon Jones
Peak Matt Hughes
Peak GSP
Jon Fitch
and so many many more peak and/or top fighters

Of course BJ, Shogun and Hendo are going to have been wobbled/hurt/dropped when you consider the insane number of elite opponents they've been fighting THROUGH THEN PAST their own primes.

Gus and Aldo have done NOTHING compared to this. They've both beaten some decent comp over the last 5 years. And? If Shogun, Hendo and BJ had only done that, they wouldn't have even blinked at absorbing a strike. You stick a 30+ yr old, physically worn down Gus in with a prime Bones or a prime Machida, and he gets his soul taken. You take a 34 year old overweight Aldo and stick him in with a superbly conditioned beatdown machine from the weight class above him, and you bet you'd see reactions to the strikes he takes.

This is just so stupid. It's like saying Ronda Rousey has already proven to have a better chin than Big Nog because she's never been stopped by strikes and he has. Fuck off with this feeble, disrespectful, small-minded shit.

Guys that show the Type-A traits often go unlisted on best chin lists because they don't look like they are taking a lot of damage, but in reality, they are taking serious damage but they just handle it like beasts.

I hate to say this, and I mean i REALLY hate to say this, but watching the gifs of Jones-Machida I saw that Jones took a left that would have sunk everyone in the LHW division apart from Shogun.

Which makes me wonder, did Rashad actually connect and it just didn't do shit?

Yeah, recovery is what f.e. Edgar has. He doesn't have a glass jaw, but not the best either. His conditioning and recovery keeps him going.

Hunt's chin is tough to crack, he rarely even gets stunned. He's a HW, has only been KO'd once. I think that speaks volumes, though he has less fights than Hendo, who does get dropped, but often doesn't look hurt from it.

Hendo doesn't have the best recovery though, as seen in the Shogun fight. He's resilient, keeps taking shots. Rampage's similar, but his point of no return has been found.

I hate to say this, and I mean i REALLY hate to say this, but watching the gifs of Jones-Machida I saw that Jones took a left that would have sunk everyone in the LHW division apart from Shogun.

Which makes me wonder, did Rashad actually connect and it just didn't do shit?

I've been saying the same thing about Jones for a while now.

6809951543_231a8b8195_o.gif

In the above gif, Jones is off balance and standing on one foot as he throws a low kick at Machida. Machida launches a blistering counter-left straight and Jones eats it, shuffles his left foot back under his weight, recovers his balance, and smoothly backpedals out of danger, all while Machida is throwing a flurry of punches at him. I seriously doubt that there is another LHW who wouldn't have been KO'd or at least dropped in a similar situation.

Jones has a beastly chin.

I've been saying the same thing about Jones for a while now.

6809951543_231a8b8195_o.gif

In the above gif, Jones is off balance and standing on one foot as he throws a low kick at Machida. Machida launches a blistering counter-left straight and Jones eats it, shuffles his left foot back under his weight, recovers his balance, and smoothly backpedals out of danger, all while Machida is throwing a flurry of punches at him. I seriously doubt that there is another LHW who wouldn't have been KO'd or at least dropped in a similar situation.

Jones has a beastly chin.

Not the exchange I am talking about but sadly that adds even more credence to the subject. There is a gif where Jones counter punches a left by Machida, quite a turning point in the fight actually, and that left would have put most on the ground.

Frankie Edgar is a good type B example.

TS, I understand what you mean, but I think the examples of Anderson and Aldo for "Type A chin" are not the best choices, since neither really gets hit a lot with big shots in their fights. I understand that Bonnar hit Anderson with some shots that look like they hurt, but that was one of the few times than anyone landed anything cleanly on Anderson.

TS, I understand what you mean, but I think the examples of Anderson and Aldo for "Type A chin" are not the best choices, since neither really gets hit a lot with big shots in their fights. I understand that Bonnar hit Anderson with some shots that look like they hurt, but that was one of the few times than anyone landed anything cleanly on Anderson.

+ the fact that Bonnar has pillow hands and you could clearley see that Anderson rolled with all the punches.

Anderson Silva & Aldo ruin the credibility of your type A category in your subjective nonsense thread.

TS, I understand what you mean, but I think the examples of Anderson and Aldo for "Type A chin" are not the best choices, since neither really gets hit a lot with big shots in their fights.
One of the main points of the OP was to point out that just because someone hasn't taken A LOT of big shots--doesn't mean that they didn't take the few big shots they did take better than anyone else could have.

Also, I can't believe that anyone would dispute the fact that Anderson has one of the Top 5 chins in MMA.

I've watched every UFC since since UFC 59: Reality Check, and it finally became clear to me tonight that there are two different types of "great chins" ("epic chins" to the youth of the internet) in elite MMA.

Type-B: Someone who can get hit multiple times with full force strikes and not loose consciousness--but will drop to the mat and/or look "rocked."

...Type-A: Someone who can take full force strikes multiple times, not lose consciousness, AND act like nothing ever happened.

When you rank fighters to see who has the best chin, it's not fair--One fighter may take an ungodly amount of punishment and stay awake, but that doesn't mean he has a better chin than someone who took a few serious bombs and didn't break stride. Guys that show the Type-A traits often go unlisted on best chin lists because they don't look like they are taking a lot of damage, but in reality, they are taking serious damage but they just handle it like beasts.

So, who are we talking about here?

Here are some examples of Type-B guys: Fabio Maldonado, Junior Dos Santos, and Frankie Edgar

...Here are some examples of Type-A type guys: Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustafsson, and Jose Aldo

Here are some guys for which a distinction is too close to call for me: Shogun Rua, Dan Henderson, Roy Nelson, Nate Diaz, and BJ Penn

Please post your thoughts, as well as your choices for the best Type-A and/or Type-B fighters, and please separate them as such.

Also, if you were wondering, Jonathan Goulet is a Type-Y guy.
Ever heard of Fujita?

Eddie Alvarez is the perfect example of type B. He gets dropped in every fight but survives.

Anderson Silva is not a guy who takes full force shots and does nothing. He doesn't take full force shots. Anderson has some of the best body and head movement, just movement of any type really, in MMA. He always rolls with punches or blocks part of them with his shoulders even if it doesn't look like it.

Chin, heart and recovery are all three very different things. People should realize this.

Only if you take the term literally, which it isn't meant to be.

"Chin" is an abstract term used in fighting sports to indicate how prone someone is to being ko/tko'd. It doesn't matter which of the dozen or more factors are responsible, if a fighter is relatively easier to stop than other fighters than they have a bad "chin."

Back