There are two DIFFERENT kinds of "great chins" in elite MMA

ShogunForever

White Belt
Reaction score
I've watched every UFC since since UFC 59: Reality Check, and it finally became clear to me tonight that there are two different types of "great chins" ("epic chins" to the youth of the internet) in elite MMA.

Type-B: Someone who can get hit multiple times with full force strikes and not loose consciousness--but will drop to the mat and/or look "rocked."

...Type-A: Someone who can take full force strikes multiple times, not lose consciousness, AND act like nothing ever happened.

When you rank fighters to see who has the best chin, it's not fair--One fighter may take an ungodly amount of punishment and stay awake, but that doesn't mean he has a better chin than someone who took a few serious bombs and didn't break stride. Guys that show the Type-A traits often go unlisted on best chin lists because they don't look like they are taking a lot of damage, but in reality, they are taking serious damage but they just handle it like beasts.

So, who are we talking about here?

Here are some examples of Type-B guys: Fabio Maldonado, Junior Dos Santos, and Frankie Edgar

...Here are some examples of Type-A type guys: Anderson Silva, Alexander Gustafsson, and Jose Aldo

Here are some guys for which a distinction is too close to call for me: Shogun Rua, Dan Henderson, Roy Nelson, Nate Diaz, and BJ Penn

Please post your thoughts, as well as your choices for the best Type-A and/or Type-B fighters, and please separate them as such.

Also, if you were wondering, Jonathan Goulet is a Type-Y guy.

Last edited:
Chin, heart and recovery are all three very different things. People should realize this.

Type-A - Hunto, Hendo and Shogun

JDS is probably in between

Nick Diaz should be a type - B

Rampage is up there, the amount of punishment he took from Shogun and Wandy was insane

Last edited:
Crappy threads have two different kinds of stupidity in sherdog forums. One stupid thread uses upper case letters for entire words. The other writes lame streams of consciousness in multicolored font. This thread here is therefore stupid X 2!

JDS has a solid chin, that shot would have put alot of people to sleep. Sylvia had a great chin

i cringe whenever chin discussion comes up and Gomi is not mentioned. for shame.

3:34

I'd throw BJ and Shogun into type A because they can take a ridiculous punch. Shogun's been dropped once in the UFC, and BJ's never been dropped.

I'd put Henderson in with the Edgar type. He gets knocked down a lot, really, but he somehow survives. It's amazing. He's like a machine that just has to reboot for like .3 seconds before sprouting back up.

Crappy threads have two different kinds of stupidity in sherdog forums. One stupid thread uses upper case letters for entire words. The other writes lame streams of consciousness in multicolored font. This thread here is therefore stupid X 2!

Why so angry man? Do you need a hug from your mother or something?

Chin, heart and recovery are all three very different things. People should realize this.

Agreed. Edgar is all heart and insane recovery imo. JDS showed great heart as well in his last fight, definitely better chin that I expected considering Cain landed some nice shots that might have took out other HWs. Reason why both are in my list below :p

Gain much more respect for JDS after his last fight. The fight lasted 5 rounds because JDS keep fighting back. I don't bother about reading the threads about his "Excuses/Reason" because I know they are sherdog haters work.

Haha so true.

TS, you seriously couldn't categorise Big Country?

Shame on you

He should have a 'type' of his own.

Type Inhuman Termainator Cement Head Side Show Freak.

Low profile guy but Dennis Bermudez is def type B. In every of his fight since I saw him on TUF, he's gotten dropped or/and rocked. Only fight he didn't get rocked/dropped was his fight against Stephen Bass.

Wrong TS there is only one type of chin, Well......one type that matters!!!

Actually, it is not true. He said "words," which which implies that I did what he said to more than one word. His mistake reflects his stupidity.

Feel free to log off to save yourselves from any further embarrassment.

Which which implies?

Log yourself off, smart arse.

Back