Media The violence of Mauricio Shogun Rua in the UFC

He has some great ufc ko’s but it’s hard to match the soccer kicks and stomps from pride. Those were kinda his trademark

FlawlessAcrobaticArchaeocete-size_restricted.gif
Super mega tryhard McGregor right there. I just have to wonder if he took himself seriously or not.

Shogun was a lot like Velasquez as he was a killer when healthy but both had blown out knees (perhaps from their brutal training). Velasquez didn't fight nearly as much or as many varied opponent's at least Shogun had that amazing GP tournament win where he ran through the best guys at the time. An alternate reality where Shogun didn't injure his arm against Coleman and follow that up with something like 3 or 4 ACL injuries would have been amazing. Not having to fight TRT infused Henderson twice would have helped as well as Henderson immediately looked way worse after TRT was banned.
That's all part of Shogun's charm though. That somehow, after all those injuries and obstacles in his post-PRIDE career, he still went on to become UFC champion in vintage "Shogun" fashion — by leaving his seemingly invincible opponent in a bloody mess on the floor. And he still went on to have a damn good career after that, even after taking that gruesome beating vs. Jones.

The injuries, the upset loss to Forrest, the controversial decision to Machida, the legendary battles vs. Hendo, and all the sheer violence he dished out before and since — it all adds up to one of the most memorable careers in MMA history.

I was 13 rows from the ring at Pride 32 and i still have the program. 8 matches and one went to decision (Henderson UD over Belfort) It was a fantastic card and i paid 700 bucks for these seats which were filled by some of past and present MMA stars such as Andre Arlovski, Pat Militech and even the late lightweight boxer Diego Corrales. Rua was matched against Kevin Randleman and pulled off a unique win over the wrestler with a fantastic kneebar. I even went to their next event Pride 33 at the Thomas and Mack Center, which was also another awesome card.

Cmon man give him a break he’s 40. Even shogun grows old. Imagine a make believe mma land where fighters never age and remain in their primes.

Just bleed shogun.. just scrap penn... in shape rampage.. Ice man chuck.

One can dream

Espeically Shogun grows old given the fighting style and injuries, he was out of his prime by the time he was 30.

That he's stayed a relevant fighter for so many years afterwards is impressive.

Hasn’t been the same fighter for about 10 years, It’s pretty amazing that he’s still active

Probably not a popular opinion but I think he made a mistake fighting at LHW when he came to the UFC. I know why he didn't but I think he would've been better off dropping to MW and tightening up his physique.

Who's ready for this weekend? War Shogun!

My fav LHW since forever

Shogun is one of the best finishers in history... alongside mostly everyone else that came from Chute Boxe
once they smell blood...

He has some great ufc ko’s but it’s hard to match the soccer kicks and stomps from pride. Those were kinda his trademark

Although to be fair he didnt really win many matches solely due to them, Diabate was maybe the closest but honestly I think Shogun would have smashed him with GnP instead if he couldnt stomp him.

Moreso than the soccer kicks I'd say the reality is Shogun didnt have the pace/agility after those ACL injuries, even in the title winning comeback he shifted more to technical striking rather than his aggressive striking/grappling assault that won the MWGP.

That style of fighting is probably the hardest to sustain, Cain also burnt out quickly but wasnt able to shift to a slower more technical game.

I don't understand those kinds of posters. Do they think they're smart or funny? Maybe they think they are rebellious/against the grain?

Do they not realize that they just look retarded? Or is retarded the look they are going for?

Back