Media The violence of Mauricio Shogun Rua in the UFC

His UFC finishes are good, but you gotta post his Pride highlights when he was much more brutal and in the prime of his career. This is the epitome of violence:

TKS! Shogun kicking Rampage like garbage is such a beautiful thing

Incredible!! Absolutely incredible!! I'll be very happy if he beats Craig coming up.

Shogun or Wand? Who was the best LHW in Pride? I feel like Pride pushed Wand a bit more b/c he held the belt.

Also, was Shogun a smallish LHW? I know he was thick but he always seem a bit small compared to some of the other dudes.

Shogun or Wand? Who was the best LHW in Pride? I feel like Pride pushed Wand a bit more b/c he held the belt.

Also, was Shogun a smallish LHW? I know he was thick but he always seem a bit small compared to some of the other dudes.

Excellent question! My two favorite fighters or all time.

Right of the bat the question favors Wanderlei because he was in Pride longer, earlier and had the ability to establish himself as a dominant champion.

Wanderlei was in Pride from 99 to 2007, spanning 8 years. LHW record of 21-2. Was MW champ from 2001 to 2007 and defended his title 3 times. Won the 2003 MW GP. Notable wins over Hendo, Arona, Rampage 2x, Sakuraba 3x, Mezger, and Kaz Nakamura.

Shogun spent 3.5 years in Pride and had a record of 12-0, only two decisions. Won the 2005 MW GP and had notable wins over Rampage, Arona, Rogerio, Overeem 2x, Randleman and Kaz Nakamura.

Now, based on accomplishments I gotta go with Wanderlei. He just accomplished more because of the timing, he spent twice as many years in Pride and had twice as many fights. He had the opportunity to establish himself as champion.

But the question was who was the best LHW. And in my opinion I have to say Shogun. If we look at common opponents in Rampage and Arona, Shogun pretty clearly dominated those guys more than Wand. While Wand did TKO Rampage twice, he did have some problems with Rampage while Shogun blasted him early. And Wand went 1-1 with Arona, while Shogun destroyed him. Wand TKO'd Nak while Shogun won by decision. Shogun showed a better overall MMA game IMO, not only a striking threat but also a grappling threat.

As mentioned Wand did have more wins and title defenses. But I think its pretty safe to assume if it was Shogun in that time fighting the same opponents, Shogun would do just as well. I think just based on how dominant Shogun was at 205 in those 12 fights makes him the best LHW.

About size, Shogun was a good size LHW. He wasn't big or small for the class but just right.

Also, there is the historic fight over the pitbull that has been a legendary story on here. I got the scoop of what actually happened from Wand himself.

Then he met Pico Jones...

htUI5.gif

3240c-jonjonesflyingkneeagainstshogunrua1.gif

HeartfeltCriminalIvorybackedwoodswallow-small.gif

image-35.gif

<JonesDXSuckIt><DCWhoa>

Shogun is awesome, but I loved it when forest choked him out in their first fight. His die hard fans used to suck really bad, so it was kind of fun around here when he would lose. He was one of those fighters that according to his nut huggers would jump in and out of his prime based on his wins and losses.

Excellent question! My two favorite fighters or all time.

Right of the bat the question favors Wanderlei because he was in Pride longer, earlier and had the ability to establish himself as a dominant champion.

Wanderlei was in Pride from 99 to 2007, spanning 8 years. LHW record of 21-2. Was MW champ from 2001 to 2007 and defended his title 3 times. Won the 2003 MW GP. Notable wins over Hendo, Arona, Rampage 2x, Sakuraba 3x, Mezger, and Kaz Nakamura.

Shogun spent 3.5 years in Pride and had a record of 12-0, only two decisions. Won the 2005 MW GP and had notable wins over Rampage, Arona, Rogerio, Overeem 2x, Randleman and Kaz Nakamura.

Now, based on accomplishments I gotta go with Wanderlei. He just accomplished more because of the timing, he spent twice as many years in Pride and had twice as many fights. He had the opportunity to establish himself as champion.

But the question was who was the best LHW. And in my opinion I have to say Shogun. If we look at common opponents in Rampage and Arona, Shogun pretty clearly dominated those guys more than Wand. While Wand did TKO Rampage twice, he did have some problems with Rampage while Shogun blasted him early. And Wand went 1-1 with Arona, while Shogun destroyed him. Wand TKO'd Nak while Shogun won by decision. Shogun showed a better overall MMA game IMO, not only a striking threat but also a grappling threat.

As mentioned Wand did have more wins and title defenses. But I think its pretty safe to assume if it was Shogun in that time fighting the same opponents, Shogun would do just as well. I think just based on how dominant Shogun was at 205 in those 12 fights makes him the best LHW.

About size, Shogun was a good size LHW. He wasn't big or small for the class but just right.

Also, there is the historic fight over the pitbull that has been a legendary story on here. I got the scoop of what actually happened from Wand himself.

Nice assessment. I tend to agree. Wanderlei obviously accomplished more b/c he was there longer and held the belt. But I think, just based on my eye test I would say Shogun was the better fighter and if they fought (not over a pit bull ;) ) that Shogun would probably win. Both amazing fighters who tend to sometimes get forgotten when talking Jones and DC.

Shogun was a lot like Velasquez as he was a killer when healthy but both had blown out knees (perhaps from their brutal training). Velasquez didn't fight nearly as much or as many varied opponent's at least Shogun had that amazing GP tournament win where he ran through the best guys at the time. An alternate reality where Shogun didn't injure his arm against Coleman and follow that up with something like 3 or 4 ACL injuries would have been amazing. Not having to fight TRT infused Henderson twice would have helped as well as Henderson immediately looked way worse after TRT was banned.
I think Velasquez just has bad genetics or messed his knees up before he even got into MMA. He's wearing a leg brace in his year book photo lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back