• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Unofficial Bodyweight Training Thread.

I have a question concerning bodyweight exercises. Currently, I'm trying to do the Armstrong pull up program to increase my pull up rep, which is only 3. At the same time I'm trying to increase my push up rep which is about 40. Can I do the one hundred push up program in the morning and then use the armstrong pull up program in the afternoon, or will that be too much stress on the body?

I have a question concerning bodyweight exercises. Currently, I'm trying to do the Armstrong pull up program to increase my pull up rep, which is only 3. At the same time I'm trying to increase my push up rep which is about 40. Can I do the one hundred push up program in the morning and then use the armstrong pull up program in the afternoon, or will that be too much stress on the body?

I'm wondering why you are trying to increse you push ups more. Is your ultimate goal to do more push ups or to actually get stronger?

Other than that yes you can do those even at the same workout.

I'm wondering why you are trying to increse you push ups more. Is your ultimate goal to do more push ups or to actually get stronger?

Other than that yes you can do those even at the same workout.

I'm trying to increase my push up reps because I want to join the naval academy, and I think their push up minimum was a little higher than 50, and their pull up minimum was about 11. So my goal is to score higher than those two minimums. Thanks for the reply!

Would you guys recommend the 100 push up program? I'm satisfied with the armstrong pull up program, but I'm unsure of the 100 push up program.

I'm trying to increase my push up reps because I want to join the naval academy, and I think their push up minimum was a little higher than 50, and their pull up minimum was about 11. So my goal is to score higher than those two minimums. Thanks for the reply!
Would you guys recommend the 100 push up program? I'm satisfied with the armstrong pull up program, but I'm unsure of the 100 push up program.

What makes you unsure of it?

To get more push ups you just have to do more push ups. And the 100 push up program does that and I believe there are a couple of AMRAP (as many reps as possible) days in that program too, right?

There are many ways to increase push ups such as ladders for example. Do 1, rest for a moment, do 2, rest again, do 3, rest, 4 etc. until you can't do more with proper form. Then come back down the ladder again.

Try google and find your self a program that works best for you. Also maybe adding weighted push ups to increase strength might be a good idea. More reps you get weighted the more you get unweighted. Or try a harder variation from time to time, same thing.

To get more push ups you just have to do more push ups. And the 100 push up program does that and I believe there are a couple of AMRAP (as many reps as possible) days in that program too, right?

There are many ways to increase push ups such as ladders for example. Do 1, rest for a moment, do 2, rest again, do 3, rest, 4 etc. until you can't do more with proper form. Then come back down the ladder again.

Try google and find your self a program that works best for you. Also maybe adding weighted push ups to increase strength might be a good idea. More reps you get weighted the more you get unweighted. Or try a harder variation from time to time, same thing.

I really appreciate the help you're giving me. To tell you the truth, the only reason why I'm so skeptical about this program is because it isn't from the military, while the Armstrong one is. Who else can tell you how to improve push ups other than the people testing you? I have a long way to go!

I really appreciate the help you're giving me. To tell you the truth, the only reason why I'm so skeptical about this program is because it isn't from the military, while the Armstrong one is. Who else can tell you how to improve push ups other than the people testing you? I have a long way to go!

No problem, man! I just hope that it really helpful :icon_lol:

But for military workouts I found this pretty cool site years ago:
http://www.military.com/fitness-center/military-fitness/workouts/archive

Just looking at one of the pages on that site for doing more pushups:
Start off with ten minutes of push-ups non-stop - meaning - you cannot place your knee on the floor for 10 minutes. But you can rest in the UP position after a set number of push-ups.

:eek:

Just looking at one of the pages on that site for doing more pushups:

:eek:

There was one where you do 200 everyday is you can get >50. Odd days you did 200 reps in as few sets as possible and on even days you'd just have to get 200 throughout the day.

Hi - my back arches a lot when I do push ups. I try to keep my legs straight, but as soon as I go down it seems to sag. I just can't keep my body parralel to the ground. Help?

Hi - my back arches a lot when I do push ups. I try to keep my legs straight, but as soon as I go down it seems to sag. I just can't keep my body parralel to the ground. Help?

Well, if it isn't postural imbalance then it just be that you have a weak core.

is it alright if I always do wide-gripped pull ups? For me, the doorway pull up bar has multiple grips, but the semi-wide ones are a bit too close together, just enough that my elbows are bent, and I almost feel nothing on my lats. The other one is super wide gripped and I feel everything on my lats. It wouldn't hurt to do the wide gripped ones exclusively right?

is it alright if I always do wide-gripped pull ups? For me, the doorway pull up bar has multiple grips, but the semi-wide ones are a bit too close together, just enough that my elbows are bent, and I almost feel nothing on my lats. The other one is super wide gripped and I feel everything on my lats. It wouldn't hurt to do the wide gripped ones exclusively right?

I doubt it'll hurt you that bad but some times it might a good idea to mix it up. But are the're any regulations with your pullup test about grip width?

There was one where you do 200 everyday is you can get >50. Odd days you did 200 reps in as few sets as possible and on even days you'd just have to get 200 throughout the day.

200 pushups is no problem, but in one go? Or holding a plank for 10 mins? Dat's not easy.

I doubt it'll hurt you that bad but some times it might a good idea to mix it up. But are the're any regulations with your pullup test about grip width?

doubt it, it probably has to be roughly shoulder width apart. would be pointless to do it close anyways, it would put too much tension on the forearms.

hey everyone.
Anyone got a recommendation on how to build up rep number somewhat in the basic bodyweight exercises? I'm talking building up to 50 push ups, 15 pull ups and lets say 50 squats. The purpose being both to have a solid foundation of endurance and also do well in Physical tests.

hey everyone.
Anyone got a recommendation on how to build up rep number somewhat in the basic bodyweight exercises? I'm talking building up to 50 push ups, 15 pull ups and lets say 50 squats. The purpose being both to have a solid foundation of endurance and also do well in Physical tests.

Do them more.

If you just search google for something like 100 pushups program or 20 pullups program those are just fine. 50 squats should be pretty easy though.

Back