The Unofficial Bodyweight Training Thread.

Modern Warrior1

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the Unofficial Bodyweight Training Thread!

This forum believes strongly in the lifting of free weights to build strength. While free weights are unquestionably effective at building both strength and muscle, they are not the only way to do so. Bodyweight training can be just as useful. My hope is that this thread can become a complete resource for bodyweight training on this forum.

Why would I choose bodyweight training over free weights?

There are many reasons why one may choose calisthenics over the barbell. Some of these are as follows:
1. Lack of equipment
2. Lack of space
3. Inability to find a decent gym
4. Injuries, such as those of the lower back, that can prevent the use of free weights.
5. Simple enjoyment.
......And many others.

What movements are we talking about? Pushups?

A complete list of all possible movements would be far too long. In general, most exercises will fit into one of these two categories:
1. Calisthenics and there progressions( chin ups, dips, pushups, squats, lunges, etc...)
2. Gymnastics exercises and there progressions( handstands, levers, L-sits, ring work, Planches, etc..)

What are progressions?

Progressions are movements that can be used to progress up to, and beyond, a specific movement. This would be a progression for chin ups from easiest to hardest:
Assisted chin ups
Negative chin ups
1/2 chin ups
Basic chin ups
Uneven chin ups
Assisted 1-arm chinups
Negative 1 arm chinups
1 Arm chinups

Of course, this is just an example. Each progression can be changed to fit the needs of the user.

So I become stronger by moving up the progression?

Correct. You can also work hypertrophy or conditioning by doing a lower progression for higher reps.

Where can I find these progressions?

Google! If I wanted to find a pushup progression, I would search " Pushup progression"

Okay, what equipment do I need?

The only required piece of equipment is a chin up bar. Of course, the more equipment you can find or purchase, the more options you have. Don't be afraid to use the nearest park or school playground, either. Some useful equipment would be as follows:
1. parallel bars or dip station
2. chin up bar that has enough clearance to allow for muscle ups, etc.
3. Gymnastic Rings.
These are the most important pieces, but they are not required. There are hundreds of possible pieces of "equipment" out there. Especially if you live in a large city.

I don't have anywhere to put a chin up bar! Help!

Do you have a doorway? If you do, then you can have a chin up bar. Just Google " doorway chin up bar"and pick one.

How do I work my legs?

Your legs can be worked through the bodyweight squat progression( all the way up to the pistol squat), sprinting,jumping, and glute ham raises(GHR). Eventually, you may have to weight yourself to work your legs any farther. You can weight the pistol squat and GHR by holding a weight plate in your hands, or holding a heavy bookbag. If you have the money, you could buy a weight vest for convenience.

I can do a bunch of ( insert hardest exercise in a progression here) now, what do I do?

You can continue to increase your reps, and work muscular endurance, or you can weight yourself. Some ways you can weight yourself are:
1. Resistance bands
2. free weights attached to a harness or belt.
3. heavy bookbag
4. weight vest.

I like lifting weights. How can I add bodyweight training into my program?

Bodyweight movements are great for assistance. Chins, dips, and handstand pushups are some examples. Experiment!

Cool, anything else I should know?

that's pretty much it! Here is some stuff for you to look into:

Beast Skills ( www.beastskills.com)
Great tutorials to a lot of different movements, including progressions.

Gymnastic Bodies (http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/)

This website's you tube channel and forum are very helpful.

Recon Ron spreadsheet (http://webpages.charter.net/bert/reconron.html)

Recon Ron is a volume program that has you do 5 sets of a movement 6 days a week. It is excellent for improving your rep max. This program can be done for almost any bodyweight movement.

Ross Training ( www.rosstraining.com)

Ross loves to improvise. The result is some great training material, that often includes some bodyweight training.

Official Barstarzz you tube channel (http://www.youtube.com/user/OfficialBarstarzz)

These guys pull of some seriously cool stuff. They also do the occasional tutorial.

Now, go! The world is your gym!

Last edited:
Please feel free to share any bodyweight training you do in your program, cool videos, resources, etc...

Here is a list of some of the hardest body weight exercises:

1 arm chin-up
1 arm push-up
Pistol squat
1 arm muscle up
1 arm handstand push-up
1 arm front lever

There are many more, but these will keep you motivated for a while.

Last edited:
Nice thread, I'm in the middle of writing a book on the subject, so have a ton of material to publish on the subject over the next few weeks.

This article should help a lot of people who don't know where to start with their pull ups, the original article was published over at elitefts last year.

If anyone has any questions regarding bodyweight training, hit me up with any questions you like in this thread, I'd be happy to help.

When I first began fighting professionally at 18 years old, I couldnt afford to pay for a gym membership or a barbell set, so had to learn as much as possible about bodyweight training as I could. I felt like it was a hassle at first, but quickly fell in love with bodyweight strength training.

Here's my article on basic pull up strength training. There is a short video to accompany the article as well.

http://boultertraining.com/pull-ups-101-from-zero-to-hero/

Please feel free to share any bodyweight training you do in your program, cool videos, resources, etc...

Please share how bodyweight strength training has a place in your own training as well modern warrior.
Personally I use bodyweight strength movements daily even now, as they have their own unique benefits and are a lot of fun.

Good thread. I appreciate you putting the time in.

Thank you. Hopefully we can just link this thread when we get a question like "how do I get stronger using bodyweight movements"

Sign me up!

Bodyweight work out can produce immense functional strength, while giving your body a ripped but natural look.

I have never been big on weights but i do them occasionally. I am planning to do a 30 minute body weight work out in the gym on the fist floor every day.

So far - 100 push ups, 40 pulls up, 40 burpees , running to 29th floor on stairs.
But yeah, it only takes 15 minutes.
Need to add something.

Last edited:
Sign me up!

Bodyweight work out can produce immense functional strength, while giving your body a ripped but natural look.

I have never been big on weights but i do them occasionally. I am planning to do a 30 minute body weight work out in the gym on the fist floor every day.
X
So far - 100 push ups, 40 pulls up, 40 burpees , running to 29th floor on stairs.
But yeah, it only takes 15 minutes.
Need to add something.

I would add some more difficult variations to build some strength. Or add some L sits or something for abs.

I would add some more difficult variations to build some strength. Or add some L sits or something for abs.

After some research :

Abs work out : I got it from a russian boxing coach several years ago. Basically, sit on the floor, body slightly inclined back - lift legs and rotate them in a full circle, as many as you can in both directions.

2nd: lay on the floor in a cross position. Lift your legs and touch to the right behind head, then to the left.

Repeat 3 times.

Legs - jumping squats, as many as possible.

Pull ups - regular to build strength, right after push up as many as possible.
4-5 sets, alternating grips and etc.

Then run as fast as possible to 29th floor.

Sign me up!

I know man. I hate that unfunctional, unnatural body I have from using weights. If only I had used bodyweight training I'd be ripped and natural looking, and so much more functional. I literally do not know how to move anything other than a heavy barbell now. I am so ashamed!

I know man. I hate that unfunctional, unnatural body I have from using weights. If only I had used bodyweight training I'd be ripped and natural looking, and so much more functional. I literally do not know how to move anything other than a heavy barbell now. I am so ashamed!

Well, at least you admit it! We have support groups located in most major cities where your rehabilitation can begin. We have all the new toys, such as shock and cold water therapy. It's great!:eek::cool:

I was going to point it out as well, but I thought as the thread starter it was my job to be nice.

My only question right now is, does anyone else have a problem with consistently doing the same number of reps with chins/pull ups? Im using a version of SS that incorporates them, but I feel like I cannot consistently get 3 sets of 5 reps.

Im not sure if this is because of increasing body mass (still getting noob gains) or there is something Im doing wrong so that my back isnt getting strong as quickly as it should. All my normal lifts are going up by 5lb per workout but my chins/pulls seem to go up and down. So I never feel comfortable trying them weighted. Currently do chins on mondays, pull ups on fridays and dls on wed as per practical programming for novices.

I've been doing a lot of bw squats lately and don't feel like I'm getting enough hamstring work, so when I'm at a playground I'll find something to wedge my feet under and do GHR's.

Back