The Ultimate Turtle / 4 Points Thread

darkgojira

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Since these threads keep popping up and the "Ultimate" threads seem to be working I decided to start a Turtle one as well.

Is it a Guard or a Transitional position? Should you get points when passing to side control/Scarf hold? WHO CARES!!! What can you do from here is what this thread is about. I'll get things started with a few things we already know about and we can get the sweeps, reversals, rolls, sit-outs, single legs, and submissions underway!

***Attacking the Turtle is also welcome: Clock Chokes, Sankaku, Chicken Wings, Spiral Rides, Turks, Sprawls, Headlocks, whatever, they're all welcome here!

Highlights of the Turtle being used:

SUBMISSIONS:

Kimura

Sit out to Kimura

Telles' Kimura and Knee Bar

Sambo Knee Bar

and Knee Lock

GUARD RECOVERY AND DEFENSE

Turtle Hook + Triangle

Recovering Guard

Half Guard

Telles Basics

Bottom Side Control to Turtle

SWEEPS

Telles Sweeps

SIT OUTS, STAND UPS, AND ROLLS

Basic

Sit Under + Crab

Granby

Power Sit / Shrug

Power Stand Up

Leg Defense/One Hook Roll

Cut Back Roll

CACC Arm Roll

Peak Out

Serious knowledge from Gene Mills:

http://www.genemills.com/video/flashvideo.php?v=09clinic&w=512&h=288

Thank you for at least getting the this far, I went through a lot of threads and would like to thank:

tapskillz - visit tapskillz.com under the forum for Turtle Top and Bottom techniques.
peidro223 - for the granby school videos
Jagcorps_esq - Gene mills video knowledge

Hopefully Calibur can drop some knowledge and snoop dogg can post some gifs

Isnt 'Guard' When the legs are engaged in the position?

So turtle shouldnt be guard, thats why no points for achieving the position isnt it?

Or are you saying it should be?

I tend to refer to it as Defensive Position. Given the choice, I still want to be the guy attacking the turtle, than be in turtle.

Awesome! I've been meaning to start a thread like this to consolidate all turtle position and transitions. Thanks for doing this!

Awesome! I've been meaning to start a thread like this to consolidate all turtle position and transitions. Thanks for doing this!

Me too, I was bored at work so I just compiled it together. Glad somebody appreciates it. Waiting on more people to post techniques and dicuss strategy

highlight i made of some random turtle offenses at high level competitions

ATTACKING THE TURTLE

Sambo Achilles Lock

Sambo Rolling Arm Bar/Knee Bar

Arm Bar w/ Legs

ATTACKING THE TURTLE

Sankaku to Kimura grip

Huizinga Roll

Ushiro Kesa Gatame to Roll

This is one of the clearest most direct tutorials I have seen on this position. It cleared up a few issues that I currently have with the move and I can't wait to use it.

Glad I could help

I'm still not a fan of the Turtle Hook. It's one of those "solve one problem, create another" moves.

What problem are you talking about?

While it stops / restricts movement to get to the over-under lasso position, it's giving the top grappler an ankle pick breakdown opportunity, which can lead to toeholds as well as a broken, flat base to attack.

Can any one answer why Robson suggests you never turn inwards to re-guard from turtle? Lots of people suggest re-guarding to half from turtle, and Robson is the only person I've ever heard to say never turn inwards to get half from turtle.

While it stops / restricts movement to get to the over-under lasso position, it's giving the top grappler an ankle pick breakdown opportunity, which can lead to toeholds as well as a broken, flat base to attack.

I see. I haven't played around with it, I usually try to single/double and peak out or set up a roll if I can.

Awesome man. As a Judoka who just moved to BJJ. I end up giving my back too often, but am also able to use the Turtle better than my average rolling partners. Love this stuff!

Back