The UFC's Middleweight division just got even worse.

It's not just one divisions, it's across the board, virtually all divisions. I don't know if the UFC is dying but it's definitely a mess. It hasn't been this bad in 15 years. Few stars and few stars just left/leaving (Cormier almost gone, Aldo almost done, GSP doing virt. nothing, Mouse gone, Bisping retired, Hunt going/gone, Machida out, etc., etc).

125-Killed off
135-Zzzz
145-Few prospects
155-Log jam/interim belt b/s
170-Weakest div in many years, interim belt b/s
185-Whittaker injured, more interim belt b/s, guy with 0 top-5 wins fighting for belt; guy who says he's champ has fake belt
205-Ghost town (Cleaned out, No signs of competitive titlefights ahead)
HW-Geriatric ward (few popular/ big-name stars)
WMMA-still only half a dozen must-see fighters (the rest aren't ready for prime time)

So foolish for the UFC they create these interim titles. I know they do it because they believe it helps to sell these events and with their PPV mode , they need to market the main event in particular as a championship fight, but it completely waters down the value of the championship. They learned nothing from boxing apparently. And the champion is still announced as the "Undisiputed" champion even with an interim champ in the division. It's dumb marketing bs.

WMMA in a main event is fucking eye bleach. Stop bitching about real MMA.

Lol- Luke Rockhold will go down in the history books of " the ultimate dropping of the ball"- not just because of getting ko-ed by Bisping but the domino effect of Bisping ruining the once talent rich 185 division FOR YEARS.

And the funniest thing is that Rockhold knows this too. He himself admitted that he screwed up the division by losing to Bisping and apologized, which had the most legit contenders in the sport at the time.

Everyone knew BIsping was going to milk the title and avoid all the contenders because anyone in the top 10 would beat him. And he knew that more than anyone else. And ended up getting garrotted by an inactive WW after winning a bad decision over a 46-year old who was lucky to be ranked in the top 15.

Last edited:
And the funniest thing is that Rockhold knows this too. He himself admitted that he screwed up the division by losing to Bisping and apologized, which had the most legit contenders in the sport at the time.

Everyone knew BIsping was going to milk the title and avoid all the contenders because anyone in the top 10 would beat him. And he knew that more than anyone else. And ended up getting garrotted by an inactive WW after winning a bad decision to a 46-year old who was lucked to be ranked in the top 15.
Damn- that was like reading my mind and posting my thoughts. Lol- damn......

Weidman defended 3 times with no gimmies.
Weidman fought Vitor and Machida. During that time, Rockhold, Jacare, Moose and Romero were all in the division. I call it a shitshow, because Weidman was never the best fighter in the division. He got the title shot and two defenses without having to fight the best 4 guys in the division.

Bisping's only "title defense" was against a 45 year old Dan Henderson. He then proceeds to duck top contenders, specifically Romero for a whole year until getting a money fight against 4 year layoff Georges St-Pierre. At least Rockhold was gonna defend the belt against the top competition, Bisping was just looking for retirement fights and then completely fucked over the Middleweight division.
Dan Henderson does not have an age.

So much pointless whining...I am just happy that we have an exciting fight within a short time with gold on the line.

Weidman fought Vitor and Machida. During that time, Rockhold, Jacare, Moose and Romero were all in the division. I call it a shitshow, because Weidman was never the best fighter in the division. He got the title shot and two defenses without having to fight the best 4 guys in the division.

I think your memory is severely shot. First off weidman had 3 defenses.

Vitor beat rockhold. Machida beat mousasi. (Then jacare beat mousasi) When mousasi came into the ufc he was at lhw. Yoel was a relative unknown at the time and was sqeeking out come from behind wins against brunson.

Vitor was straight unstoppable at that time and this was durring the strike force merger where the 4 people you mentioned came into the ufc. They werent established enough to be in the top 5 at the time.

I think your memory is severely shot. First off weidman had 3 defenses.

Vitor beat rockhold. Machida beat mousasi. (Then jacare beat mousasi) When mousasi came into the ufc he was at lhw. Yoel was a relative unknown at the time and was sqeeking out come from behind wins against brunson.

Vitor was straight unstoppable at that time and this was durring the strike force merger where the 4 people you mentioned came into the ufc. They werent established enough to be in the top 5 at the time.
No lol Vitor was coming off of a year and a half layoff at that time, and looked like dog shit. Pretty sure it was his first fight off TRT.

No lol Vitor was coming off of a year and a half layoff at that time, and looked like dog shit. Pretty sure it was his first fight off TRT.
again.... your memory....

Weidman fought machida because vitor was forced into taking time off because of the ban on trt. Machida was a replacement for vitor.

again.... your memory....

Weidman fought machida because vitor was forced into taking time off because of the ban on trt. Machida was a replacement for vitor.
So you agree, Weidman fought a shitty version of Vitor. It was his first fight off the TRT.

So you agree, Weidman fought a shitty version of Vitor. It was his first fight off the TRT.
Yes he fought post usada deroided vitor but he was the rightful number 1 contender any way you slice it.

Yes he fought post usada deroided vitor but he was the rightful number 1 contender any way you slice it.
Ok. the truth is he got his 3 title defenses off of a freak leg break (although he was winning that fight), and wins over Machida and Vitor. When the 4 best fighters in the division were Rockhold, Yoel, Jacare and Mousasi. All fighters later went on to TKO him.

Bisping's only "title defense" was against a 45 year old Dan Henderson. He then proceeds to duck top contenders, specifically Romero for a whole year until getting a money fight against 4 year layoff Georges St-Pierre. At least Rockhold was gonna defend the belt against the top competition, Bisping was just looking for retirement fights and then completely fucked over the Middleweight division.
I dont blame Bisping. He has been through some wars and serious knockouts. Had his eye blinded by a roided out Vitor, and was still always stepping up to fight tough guys.

He finally got the title off a guy who previously choked him out with 1 arm. He wanted some fun fights. Lets be real, it was sick seeing bisping vs hendo 2 and gsp come back and win. GSP fucked it by lying about hanging around and decides to retire right after.

Romero cant make weight, Whittaker is getting hospitalized, Chris cant put together a solid streak. Doesnt help that Moose left to Bellator.

I learned to stop paying attention to all the current decisions the company is making and the direction the so-called sport is going. In the midst of it all I find there is still some pretty good matchmaking going in other areas and just enjoy whatever floats your boat.

The division is ripe for Woodley to try a jump soon. Not a fan but imagine that dude without having to cut 15lbs...

Back