The UFC needs to acquire Holly Holms and Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I think this would be two very good additions to the UFC.

The UFC has a shallow womens division and Holms has a winning record. Patricio Freire throws bombs and would be an exciting asset to the division.

I think Holms would have the best chance of winning a championship. I believe Patricio would fall to solid wrestlers. But they could both put on some exciting fights.

Holm will be in the UFC soon.

Pitbull is locked away in Bellator for a while.

All these new Holm fans who don't even know her name... all day I've been seeing "Hom" and "Holmes" and "Holms".

All these new Holm fans who don't even know her name... all day I've been seeing "Hom" and "Holmes" and "Holms".

Probably the same people who didnt know that Meisha's nickname all these years was Takedown. For the majority of her career. Because she has terrible striking, gets hit alot & goes for TD's. Many of these types are picking her to TKO Ronda naturally. Or beat her up in some other way.

As far as I understand, the UFC approached Holm, but she was still boxing at the time. Now that she's in MMA, she's taking her time, learning how to wrestle. It's not the sort of thing you can just learn how to do in a year and then compete at the top level.

I think she's definitely ready to win fights at the UFC level. I just think J/W is not pushing her to go to the UFC until she's ready to win all the fights at the UFC level.
She's trained at Jackson's her entire career as far as I'm aware.

Holm probably has the best striking in all of WMMA. However, her ground game is still suspect. But, training at Jackson's I'm sure they're working on it and for all we know it could be good. We haven't seen much of her ground work.

Don't rush Holm.

I would rather see Chandler in the UFC before Freire.

I would rather see Chandler in the UFC before Freire.
4797066+_5befb80ab11ee4c36ce90e6b92a44a5b.jpg

UFC should just get all the best fighters not in the UFC...right?

Probably the same people who didnt know that Meisha's nickname all these years was Takedown. For the majority of her career. Because she has terrible striking, gets hit alot & goes for TD's. Many of these types are picking her to TKO Ronda naturally. Or beat her up in some other way.

One does not need elite striking to beat up Rousey standing. One just needs better striking than Rousey. The best strikers in women's mma have nothing for Rousey if they can't handle her grappling.

Look at Ben Askren. Another one-trick pony. He completely owned Douglas Lima and any other striker he has faced. His toughest test to date has been another wrestler.

I would like to see Patricio Freire in the UFC but I'm not sold on Holm just yet. I know she has a solid boxing background however I would like to see her fight a higher caliber of competition in MMA before taking the leap.

Since you mentioned Patricio I will say that I would love to see Pat Curran in the UFC more than him.

One does not need elite striking to beat up Rousey standing. One just needs better striking than Rousey. The best strikers in women's mma have nothing for Rousey if they can't handle her grappling.

Look at Ben Askren. Another one-trick pony. He completely owned Douglas Lima and any other striker he has faced. His toughest test to date has been another wrestler.

Holly has solid kicking too.

I'd think Jackson's camp would help make Holly well rounded.

I preferred Takedown over Cupcake

Holly needs to fight Cyborg first, expose her comparatively amateurish striking, and then come into UFC talks with that momentum behind her. Holm may not have the experience in MMA, but she has plenty of experience with big fights in boxing. Holm's striking is in that "other level" that the majority of MMArtists, female OR male, have yet to break into. All you have to do is watch her fight. Her handspeed is insane, she doesn't over commit, she throws lead leg kicks faster than most people jab, she steps off center line when she engages, etc. She combines exceptional talent with intelligent decision making. Sure, there may be a lot of fighters who could wrestle her down and smother or submit her, but in terms of standup fighting, I have yet to see another woman in MMA who can hold a candle. And Cyborg is no exception. If they fought, and Cyborg decided to kickbox her rather than wrestle her, Holm would have a very impressive KO win on her record.

Holly has solid kicking too.

I'd think Jackson's camp would help make Holly well rounded.

You don't need solid kicking to beat Rousey. When it comes to a one-trick pony, all that matters is being able to stop that one trick. Styles make fights.

Don't rush Holm.

Yup.

A woman who has spent her entire career striking is ill equipped to deal with the judo chops and sub defense necessary to stop the Rondabar. Even forgetting about Ronda, the grappling heavy WMMA 135 division would eat her up long before she got the chance to get her arm taken off.

She needs more time to cook.

Back