the TUF cardio

B

Butcher101**

i was just watching my TUF 1 episodes that i recorded a while ago... and i came across their cardio work.

this is how it goes

5mph for 5 min
6mph for 5 min
7mph for 5 min
8mph for 5 min
9mph for 5 min
10mph for 5 min

what do you think about it... anyone ever tried it? sounds a bit though to me hehe

try the search function. It's been discussed a couple times. the short of it: it's ok for a test, not for any sort of cardio training for MMA. Stick to interval work, etc.

Interval work = good mma cardio.
Urban = King Shit poster

i troed it and it was difficult to finish at first. but i kept at it and after i was able to finish it completely

Shit I was doing it wrong

I thought it was this: lol

5mins at 5mph
6mins at 6mph
7mins at 7mph
8 mins at 8mph
9mins at 9mph

On that system I got up to 20 minutes which is few minutes into 8mph.

Rahul said:
Shit I was doing it wrong

I thought it was this: lol

5mins at 5mph
6mins at 6mph
7mins at 7mph
8 mins at 8mph
9mins at 9mph

On that system I got up to 20 minutes which is few minutes into 8mph.

And you were able to do this???

Hell no..

5mins at 5mph
6mins at 6mph
7mins at 7mph
3mins at 8mph

After the 3rd min at 8mph I couldn't do it anymore. I don't grab the sides of the treadmill either.. its cheating !

If I were to try to complete this, I would start at 3 minutes per interval and work my way up to 5....but 5 minutes at 8, 9, and 10 mph is tough. I think in the first TUF, they said only Chris Leben was able to finish.

Egg Nog said:
Interval work = good mma cardio.
Urban = King Shit poster

no offense but:

Urban : King Shit poster as Egg Nog : King Pole smoker

Overrated, like Urban said good for a test but for effective MMA/grappling cardio stick to H.I.I.T workouts.

Actually kind of pisses me off as I've known some badass fighters who want their guys to run this thinking it is good for fight conditioning. When really 1min at full incline 10mph for 5 or 6 sets saves time and is insanely better.

It's actually pretty easy, if you haven't had a whole killer workout first.

I tried it and went to training for 2 hours no problem, but I doubt my classes are anywhere near as hard as the TUF training sessions.

FiendishOne said:
Actually kind of pisses me off as I've known some badass fighters who want their guys to run this thinking it is good for fight conditioning. When really 1min at full incline 10mph for 5 or 6 sets saves time and is insanely better.

Now that sounds hard. I will have to give it a try. How much time do you rest between sets?

scorcho said:
Now that sounds hard. I will have to give it a try. How much time do you rest between sets?

When I'm in shape usually 30 seconds, never no more than a minute. But the 30 second rest between sets is a bodyweight exercise (Plyrometric jumps, forward lunges, bicycles, pushups, leg raises, ect..) whatever bodyweight exercises you perfer, however I recommend the plyro jumps and forward lunges. (If you can't do the bodyweight exercise walk around for the 30seconds, just whatever you do don't sit down.

I usually like to run uphill outdoors, but always try to do my treadmill workout in the morning before eating anything, or I'll do it in the morning then in the evening if I don't make it to training and if for some reason I can't run outside.

FiendishOne said:
When I'm in shape usually 30 seconds, never no more than a minute. But the 30 second rest between sets is a bodyweight exercise (Plyrometric jumps, forward lunges, bicycles, pushups, leg raises, ect..) whatever bodyweight exercises you perfer, however I recommend the plyro jumps and forward lunges. (If you can't do the bodyweight exercise walk around for the 30seconds, just whatever you do don't sit down.

I usually like to run uphill outdoors, but always try to do my treadmill workout in the morning before eating anything, or I'll do it in the morning then in the evening if I don't make it to training and if for some reason I can't run outside.

I think it would be hard to do the bodyweight exercises in between sets if you're doing it on a treadmill.

FiendishOne said:

There a million different plyometric jumps, you have to be more specific, and 30 seconds rest for most of them is not enough (depending on the volume of repetitions).

The basic rule for plyometric exercises is 1:5-1:10 work/rest ratio (the lower ratio for less intense exercises and if your aim is a combination of explosiveness and endurance, the higher ratio for more intense exercises and total explosiveness).

So if you do ten jumps (nonspecific), and it takes you 8 seconds, you should rest 40-80 seconds between sets.

Madmick said:
There a million different plyometric jumps, you have to be more specific, and 30 seconds rest for most of them is not enough (depending on the volume of repetitions).

The basic rule for plyometric exercises is 1:5-1:10 work/rest ratio (the lower ratio for less intense exercises and if your aim is a combination of explosiveness and endurance, the higher ratio for more intense exercises and total explosiveness).

So if you do ten jumps (nonspecific), and it takes you 8 seconds, you should rest 40-80 seconds between sets.
Yea right on dude.

I don't get why people are saying do Plyo with tabata and crap. Thats torture.

i breezed through 5-8 mph 9 is ok but 10 is just a killer but i managed it after about 4 tries

Back