The Surface Phone concept – the start of a spectrum shift for smartphones?

I didn't read all that but the answer is no. It's a phone. Apps are cool and all but I don't need that level of functionality. I have a lap top and a tablet. I do like a boss camera in my phone though.

I'm not really a hardware guy so I'm not sure that I care specifically about x86 vs ARM or whatever but when I saw a demo video of Continuum I thought it was a brilliant idea. I would totally buy a phone that could be docked and used like a laptop or connected to a TV to stream videos.

I can stream video to my tv from my Moxee through my Roku.

Moxee was $79
TV was about $300
Roku was $99

still less than purchasing a top of the line 4G cell phone or paying the life of a contract.

I'll wait and see the reviews and general reception, I am a big fan of the surface pro line (minus the pricepoints), I have a SP3 myself that I love and use daily, not sure how it would translate to a phone, still I am interested and will keep an eye on this.

Haven’t been paying attention to the thread, eh? Well, for starters, aside from having access to all of the Windows legacy and desktop programs, there are emulation programs like Bluestacks that literally let you access the entire Google Play and Apple stores when you’re running a machine with a x86 chip. So, yeah, that whole “who has the best apps?” thing that people act like is such a big deal? Emulation on a x86 device pretty much means you get all of them.

Even a Samsung phone with all that Touchwhiz Sampack crap still runs better than any original version of Windows. Can you imagine Windows 10 or Vista on your phone? You get in a life threatening situation, have to make an emergency call and your phone crashes on you as youre trying to call for help. Lulz no thanks.

Windows.. Vista? Why not go back to 95 while you’re at it?

Anyways, yeah, I can imagine that. Actually, a lot of people can. Go figure, a lot of people with iPhones and Android devices experience it all the bloody time. Phones bricking, crashing, freezing, and black screening – guess what, it’s not just for Windows any more! If you take five bloody seconds to google some of these issues you’ll find that people don’t need a Windows device to experience massive crashes any more – you can have that fun on your smartphone regardless of brand. Hell, I know my own Android tablet and my husband’s multiple iPhones have both had notable issues. But yeah, let’s pretend that’s a Windows only issue.

As for bloatware, I’m a big fan of stock Android, but that abomination that Samsung is slapping on their phones? It’s like they thought that the best part of Windows was the bloat so they’re trying to get it into the smartphone arena. These phones have been having to pack more powerful hardware and as much as twice the RAM into their spec behemoth phones to just get them to come close to the iPhone in the benchmarks.

Sorry buddy, but if you’re a Samsung fan with buyer’s remorse, they’re bloated phones that are inefficient as hell for what’s in them and about five seconds on Google will let you know that that doomsday “but what if I have to make an emergency call scenario with the blue screen!?!?!?” isn’t something you’re safe from on a Samsung/general Android/Apple device.

Haven’t been paying attention to the thread, eh? Well, for starters, aside from having access to all of the Windows legacy and desktop programs, there are emulation programs like Bluestacks that literally let you access the entire Google Play and Apple stores when you’re running a machine with a x86 chip. So, yeah, that whole “who has the best apps?” thing that people act like is such a big deal? Emulation on a x86 device pretty much means you get all of them.

Windows.. Vista? Why not go back to 95 while you’re at it?

Anyways, yeah, I can imagine that. Actually, a lot of people can. Go figure, a lot of people with iPhones and Android devices experience it all the bloody time. Phones bricking, crashing, freezing, and black screening – guess what, it’s not just for Windows any more! If you take five bloody seconds to google some of these issues you’ll find that people don’t need a Windows device to experience massive crashes any more – you can have that fun on your smartphone regardless of brand. Hell, I know my own Android tablet and my husband’s multiple iPhones have both had notable issues. But yeah, let’s pretend that’s a Windows only issue.

As for bloatware, I’m a big fan of stock Android, but that abomination that Samsung is slapping on their phones? It’s like they thought that the best part of Windows was the bloat so they’re trying to get it into the smartphone arena. These phones have been having to pack more powerful hardware and as much as twice the RAM into their spec behemoth phones to just get them to come close to the iPhone in the benchmarks.

Sorry buddy, but if you’re a Samsung fan with buyer’s remorse, they’re bloated phones that are inefficient as hell for what’s in them and about five seconds on Google will let you know that that doomsday “but what if I have to make an emergency call scenario with the blue screen!?!?!?” isn’t something you’re safe from on a Samsung/general Android/Apple device.

so you work for Microsoft eh? ;)

which one?

Take your pick.

I didn't notice you saying "Do you work for Apple?" When I was acknowledging that the first few generations of these devices would likely seriously lag in battery life, size, thermals, etc while being very expensive and having software kinks to work out. There was no "do you work for Google?" When I was rightly pointing out the difficulty in the very concept of using a device you make calls from as a stationary computer - seriously, making calls from a device hooked into a docking bay? Nope, no "do you work for -----?" Then.

So do you have an actual criticism?

The reality is, these devices aren't even ones that suit my needs - I need cheap, expendable phones. The idea intrigues me though. Is it fair to accept that I don't work for any of these companies, but I can still be enthusiastic about an idea that might be a major development in smart phones?

Take your pick.

I didn't notice you saying "Do you work for Apple?" When I was acknowledging that the first few generations of these devices would likely seriously lag in battery life, size, thermals, etc while being very expensive and having software kinks to work out. There was no "do you work for Google?" When I was rightly pointing out the difficulty in the very concept of using a device you make calls from as a stationary computer - seriously, making calls from a device hooked into a docking bay? Nope, no "do you work for -----?" Then.

So do you have an actual criticism?

The reality is, these devices aren't even ones that suit my needs - I need cheap, expendable phones. The idea intrigues me though. Is it fair to accept that I don't work for any of these companies, but I can still be enthusiastic about an idea that might be a major development in smart phones?

;) <===== that little fella is supposed to let you know I'm joking around. It's cool though. I'll just go fuck myself. Maybe you should change your tampon though. Friendly advice from me to you. Freesies.

;) <===== that little fella is supposed to let you know I'm joking around. It's cool though. I'll just go fuck myself. Maybe you should change your tampon though. Friendly advice from me to you. Freesies.

I use a diva cup. Saves loads of hassle with tampons and pads.

But yes, fuck yourself as appropriate.

I have desktop and laptop computers to desktop and laptop shit. And a phone to do phone shit.

The idea of my phone being able to run desktop programs really doesn't do much for me.

lol, you know you want to run adobe premiere on a 5 inch cell phone screen. i hear Scorsese is doing it for his next movie

:p

Yeah, I like this. Already, my phone is my primary computer. When I want to use it as a regular computer, I just plug it into my tv and use a blue tooth keyboard. But I am somewhat limited as to what I can do right now due to the mobile OS. I have kind of been waiting for this.

Yeah, I like this. Already, my phone is my primary computer. When I want to use it as a regular computer, I just plug it into my tv and use a blue tooth keyboard. But I am somewhat limited as to what I can do right now due to the mobile OS. I have kind of been waiting for this.
you sound...

mobile.

Back