The rise of Boxing in MMA and the demise of Jon Jones

How long do you think Stipe will be champ? I like Stipe, but he doesn't have much to offer Cain imo. He's a less polished Dos Santos.

Striking is a fundamental part of MMA, true, but there has been no rise of boxing. There are too many ways to get past TDD.

You can cage grind, clinch, throw, shoot, knee, elbow, etc. That's how Nate beat McGregor, that's how Jon beat people, how DC beat people who have better striking and more power, how Silva beat people, etc.

The time of striking dominating has been long gone. Incorporating TDD ain't gonna save you from knees, elbows, and clinches.

Good response.

These guys are training UFC, not boxing. Boxing doesn't work in a real fight. All the bobbing and weaving - what use is that against a flying inverted omoplata?
Boxing is the most effective in real life. Boxing against a guy trained in MMA not so much as the guy will take him down and pound him into the ground

Dont be fooled.
If chad mendes haddnt have gased.
But all jones needs is a good double/single leg which i dont think he has. Its hilarious that youre painting doom and gloom.
Hes not dumb like rousey. Shes got you confused.

Its funny how you assumed this whole post was about Rousey. I didnt mention her once. However she is just one of many victims in the past year, year and a half

So you're saying Anthony Johnson is going to KO Jones?

I don't know. He has fast, powerful hands but I'm not sure how proficient he is with angles and overall adapting it to MMA. He started kickboxing in his 20s, so i'm not sure to what degree that would influence the standup against a very slick jones.

Wait till we get a Karate Boxer who can move like Thompson but throw hands like Garbrandt.
Eh, we already have that, check him out buddy, it's something to behold...

okhePpJW_400x400.jpg

I'm glad you brought this up again. Yea, I agree Jones is susceptible to getting his boxing exposed sooner than later.

These guys are training UFC, not boxing. Boxing doesn't work in a real fight. All the bobbing and weaving - what use is that against a flying inverted omoplata?

95% of the real fights you will ever see are sloppy boxing matches

Stop making this about Ronda specifically.

The point is Jon has been tagged before by some mediocre strikers, St Preux for example...
There will come a guy that can make him pay for slipups in distance and sloppy probes.

There could be, except Jon would make them pay in a variety of others ways.

You can't be a master of everything. That's what makes MMA so exciting, and boxing so boring. The vulnerability of real fighting versus what is essentially a tailor-made sport to who can out footwork.

There could be, except Jon would make them pay in a variety of others ways.

You can't be a master of everything. That's what makes MMA so exciting, and boxing so boring. The vulnerability of real fighting versus what is essentially a tailor-made sport to who can out footwork.

Maybe you misunderstood but by boxing I mean the hands part. Ofc the footwork cannot be adapted to MMA confidently.

Maybe you misunderstood but by boxing I mean the hands part. Ofc the footwork cannot be adapted to MMA confidently.

Yes it can, it's just the stances have to be different, but I wasn't talking about that. I was talking about how footwork is essentially what makes a boxer great. Cody didn't win last night cause of his hands, he won because of his footwork.

Takedown defense is what made boxing relevant

When everyone at the top is evolved to nullify so much, elite skills become the difference. Cody had the grappling to cancel the take downs of Cruz and it became technical boxing vs neo dancing pitter patter.

We saw the results.

jones boxing is excelled by his threat of take downs and leg strikes

jones is the complete package as a fighter right now, if he had power it would simply be unfair

I know, ese!

That's why I said "it's really not that easy" in reply to TS, I just didn't get into all the details about it because then my post would've been ridiculously long (as usual).

There's tons of factors as to why being the superior boxer in comparison to Jones doesn't automatically mean they will beat him, even if they have a good reach, height, are quick and powerful, etc. He's already fought quite a few superior boxers and clearly beat them.

Jones has outboxed the better boxer in practically every single one of his fights besides the Gus fight. It's because of all the other weapons Jones possesses (specifically his rangy kicks, obviously), the threat of the TD, his ability to utilize his reach advantage so well and the fact he's an extremely intelligent fighter.

I'm not going to get into all the details still because then the post ends up way too long and completely unreadable - you and I already know why Jones' boxing is as effective as it is against opponents who are definitely better boxers than him.

I agree 100% - if Jones actually had power in his hands, then fighting him definitely would feel unfair, lol. He's one of the most complete fighters we've ever seen but his physical attributes (height, insane reach) and ability to utilize those advantages so well has helped him really stand out from the rest.

I was going to say something else but I somehow forgot what it was, dammit, so I guess this is it then.

<mma1>

oh wow look, someone who took some boxing won his last fight, boxing must be the only thing that matters now

Jon Jones is done but it's because of his out-of-the-cage antics, not his boxing.

Meh. Jones is a roided cheater. Off the juice he gets smoked by cormier and gus. maybe others.

Jeremy Williams, the greatest boxer to ever transition to MMA. Retired undefeated in MMA due to boredom from lack of challenge. He could have easily defeated anyone on the Pride or UFC roster at the time, he made Auggie Padeken look like he didn't even belong in the cage with him in his last fight.

57634.jpg

Back