The Rise and Fall Of Johny Hendricks, What Happened?

Nah, Hendricks is/was clean. His only mistake was relying on IV. Reason why he deflated is he had to lose muscle mass to make 170 without using IV. And Hendricks was strong as fuck, his strengh was winning him fights.

USADA happened. Everybody knows it.

Ducked testing against GSP and looked like a world beater - USADA came in and he started missing weight, got finished in the first round and lost to a top 15 guy.

Bingo.

20346_1_full.jpg

Too many steamed hams.

Robbie stuffed his takedowns so much in their fight that he lost all the confidence to take anyone down. He couldn't take Thompson nor Gastelum down and that's why he lost.

Really I don't think Hendricks has ever been a great offensive wrestler, he has excellent takedown defence(perhaps the best ever at WW) and can be effective in the clinch but doesn't really have the speedy double leg that Kos or GSP did.

You look at his rise to the top at really it was based on his standup, I think he was a level above guys like Kos, Fitch and Ellenberger there as he not only had power but also a stronger technical game including a decent jab. The problem for him has IMHO been that WW striking has carried on evolving which means he's lacked his previous advantage and has had his small reach exposed a lot more.

What the hell happened to this guy?

Is it a classic story of only relying on his big punch?

Is it just his weight issues?

How did he rise to the championship and now is pretty mediocre?

Is it the competition is just so good now?
U
S
A
D
A

The game passed him by. oh and USADA.

i think most all of you guys are right. perfect storm: usada, iv ban, lost motivation, poor eating habits catching up to him, bad camp, showing age/wear and tear...

i don't see johny ever being very good again, if he even fights at all

The only thing that his performance vs Gastelum raised is ....

... don't to TOO HYPED for Wonderboy's performance vs Hendricks.

It is clear this is no longer the WW champ Hendricks who "beat" GSP in my eyes.

I think 3 things happened other than it possibly being USADA testing, he stopped working with Dolce(I know everyone gives him shit but Hendricks clearly needs someone to watch him like a hawk and stop him from eating like shit), he changed what camp he works at(the camp that got him to the top of the division) and lastly he fought 10 rounds against Robbie Lawler and it's weakened his chin and maybe slowed his reaction time.

USADA and IV BAN. While he never made weight like let's say, Jon Jones makes weight ( meaning easy ), since IV BAN and USADA, he's looked AWFUL.

He fought a legend who was probably juicing (like everyone else) 90% of his career but was roids free for the fight while Johnny ducked the test. Styles and drugs made him look grwat for hanging with the GOAT.

Plus he let his body take too many bad weight cuts so he is ageing very fast.

Just my thoughts/guess. He beat Robbie both times though imo.

He fought a legend who was probably juicing (like everyone else) 90% of his career but was roids free for the fight while Johnny ducked the test. Styles and drugs made him look grwat for hanging with the GOAT.

Plus he let his body take too many bad weight cuts so he is ageing very fast.

Just my thoughts/guess. He beat Robbie both times though imo.

The only thing that his performance vs Gastelum raised is ....

... don't to TOO HYPED for Wonderboy's performance vs Hendricks.

It is clear this is no longer the WW champ Hendricks who "beat" GSP in my eyes.

Either that or those guys are better strikers than GSP was, pretty clear they have more power at least where as I think GSP like Lawler fought a slower match that allowed Hendricks to get around his lack of reach more.

What the hell happened to this guy?

Is it a classic story of only relying on his big punch?

Is it just his weight issues?

How did he rise to the championship and now is pretty mediocre?

Is it the competition is just so good now?

Robbie%2BLawler%2BStares%2BDown%2BJohny%2BHendricks%2BAfter%2Bthe%2BBell%2B-%2BUFC%2B181.gif

Well once you get your soul taken by Robbie Lawler, hard to recover. Just ask Rory. Hasn't been the same either.

Robbie%2BLawler%2BStares%2BDown%2BJohny%2BHendricks%2BAfter%2Bthe%2BBell%2B-%2BUFC%2B181.gif

Well once you get your soul taken by Robbie Lawler, hard to recover. Just ask Rory. Hasn't been the same either.

Again I think Lawler actually suited Hendricks style more, he fights at a fairly slow pace and lacks much in the way of a kicking game that allowed Hendricks to get around his lack of reach more, honestly I still think Hendricks won both fights.

He didn't actually do THAT badly vs Gastelum either, took some punishment earlier on but he was actually countering him quite effectively as the match went on. Thompson was just a terrible matchup for him though.

-potential robberies in 2/3 of his title fights
-kidney issues from 15-20 years of cutting weight
-metabolic issues from yoyo dieting
-failed business venture in his personal life
-IV ban
-five letter acronym

Do the math. I'm speculating here, but it makes sense. It's not too surprising that his mind and body are working against him at this point. He was a monster at his peak though.

I hate accusing people but he just looks so small and deflated post USADA. Maybe it's his diet and he lost muscle mass. I don't know.

At any rate I always laugh when people say he should move up to MW. You kidding me? The guy can EASILY make lightweight if he kept even a remotely healthy wieight between fights. There is no reason a 5'9" man should weigh 200 pounds ever unless maybe he's a hardcore professional roided up body builder
Im guessing you dont work out or play sports? Im 5'7" and weigh 180. I dont see why a pro athlete who is 2 inches taller than me wouldnt weigh the same if not more

He put himself in a place to fail. He doesn't have a real camp or coach, right? He can't stop eating poorly, and he doesn't look motivated. On top of that he looked like he even wanted to be in the cage during his last two fights.

Back