The right amount to bulk

chocobananas

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If i start bulking whats the max i should put on in weight if i want to be able to cut down after the bulk and float around at ~165? This is my first big bulk and i wanna make sure i dont screw up my weight

1) Read the FAQ here;

2) Read the D&S FAQ;

3) Re-read both 5 more times

Why do I say this? You state that you don't want to "screw up your weight" and yet you want to "bulk." These two goals are not compatible. Either you want to gain weight or you want your weight to stay the same.

This is not a bodybuilding site. If you want to gain weight, eat a lot of clean food and lift heavy compound movements - likes squats, deadlifts, powercleans, press and the bench press. I don't see the point of stuffing your pie hole with shit so you can get fat and then try to lose the weight. Most likely - you will lose most of the muscle you gain eating pizza, fries and ice-cream. You will back where you started after wasting a bunch of time and energy.

If you are concerned with improving athletic performance or building strength, after some basic research, you will realize your question is misguided (i.e, fucking stupid).

If you are really concerned with looking "cut," go to BB.com and you will get better advice. My guess is that they will basically tell you to eat lots of clean food and lift hard.

Best of luck

I get the feeling that even if you try to "bulk up," you won't get far until you educate yourself some more.

Try hanging out on the forums and reading regular members's logs to get a better idea of what You're doing and what you want.

Oh, and:

cartmanbeefcake1-thumb.JPG

"Big bulk" and "I want to be 165" don't really fit in the same sentence together.

The scales and the mirror will be your barometers.

If i start bulking whats the max i should put on in weight if i want to be able to cut down after the bulk and float around at ~165? This is my first big bulk and i wanna make sure i dont screw up my weight

"Bulking up" is kinda a diet mistake that was really popular in the 1980s and early 1990s (when bodybuilding really started to take off.)

Taking in excess calories does allow your body to build more muscle tissue, but eating clean allows you to build more muscle without adding much in the way of bodyfat.

Bulking up usually results in the gaining of as much or more fat as muscle and that can slow you down, affect your conditioning and make you look out of shape.

Instead of bulking up, stick with the steamed veggies, whole grains, fresh fruits and just try slowly increasing your low fat protein intake.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the complete Bench Monster movie online at Hardcore Powerlifting

17.8456394 pounds unless you were born in a leap year in which case subtract 0.000038.

Talk to Anarkix. He has a training log here with lots of lifting and dieting strategies in there. He also likes jakt fibraz like you because it's almost summer, so you need that beach body. Work your biceps, abs, chest, and never work your legs, you'll look funny and it takes away from time getting more bicep peaks.

"Bulking up" is kinda a diet mistake that was really popular in the 1980s and early 1990s (when bodybuilding really started to take off.)

Taking in excess calories does allow your body to build more muscle tissue, but eating clean allows you to build more muscle without adding much in the way of bodyfat.

Bulking up usually results in the gaining of as much or more fat as muscle and that can slow you down, affect your conditioning and make you look out of shape.

Instead of bulking up, stick with the steamed veggies, whole grains, fresh fruits and just try slowly increasing your low fat protein intake.

Stay Strong,
Sean Katterle
Watch the complete Bench Monster movie online at Hardcore Powerlifting
Kind of an interesting thought. I figure though, that bulking up should be done in the off season or more than 8-12 weeks out from a fight when you have time to focus on things that would be detrimental to your recovery for more specific training anyways (namely strength). I mean, you certainly wouldn't think about bulking bulking in those last 8-12 weeks (unless your first name is gina) no more than you would think about a peak strength emphasis in that time period. However, I think outside that temporal window, a "traditional" bulking cycle isn't neccessarily a bad thing. It's by no means an excuse to let all your conditioning go to shit and become a fat slob, but putting on some bodyfat to gain some muscle mass before trimming back down may be beneficial in the long run.

I still think that's interesting regarding bulking and bodybuilding. Given the tremendous influence BBing has had on fitness I wouldn't say it's entirely unlikely. Regardless, I think eating healthy food for bulking should be prioritized for most athletes, but when bulking, the sheer quantity of healthy foods you have to eat can be intimidating. while I don't eat as clean as I would if I were trying to maintain or cut weight, I certainly don't pig out on twinkies, hohos and poptarts.

Whats with all the people coming on and asking about bulking lately? was there an article in "Mens Fitness"?

Contrary to what she told you, bigger is better.

Check out those physique clinics on t-nation.com Especially the ones geared towards ectomorphs. Thibaudeau knows what he's doing. Just don't get suckered into buying all of those Biotest supplements. You can do it with cheaper stuff.

"Big bulk" and "I want to be 165" don't really fit in the same sentence together.

See this is what im talking about. Either i did a poor job wording this or theres a lot more stupid people than i thought. I said i wanted to know how much i should bulk to and be able to CUT to 165. So big bulk is form 160 to lets say 180 and then cut around 15lbs so i can walk around at 165. I didnt say i wanted to to bulk up to 165. And in regards to BB.com yes i have checked there but i haven't gotten a very accurate repsonse cause not many of thoe guys do MMA so they don't have to cut to a certain weight. Thanks for all the log suggestions i will check all those out.

Back