The reason why GSP is the best

lol....happy new year gsp, didn't know you had a sherdog account. why don't you fight silva?

i wish i was back in hawaii right now

his fights are displays of technical brilliance, whether it be grappling, ground and pound or striking. Very methodical and technical in everything that he does. Jones and silva are more dynamic and flashy but no more effective than gsp. They have been getting more finishes, GSP does try to finish, just because his opponents are tough does not mean he isn't trying to finish

I don't think GSP is "predictable". Ask Koscheck if he thinks GSP is predictable. In their first fight he out-wrestled the guy who was hyped as the best WW wrestler (possibly best UFC wrestler), and in the second fight he out-struck the "new" Koscheck who had KO power. That's the most obvious example, but GSP is definitely not predictable. He can take the fight anywhere and be 100% confident and proficient in his abilities.

I believe GSP is the best fighter in the UFC because he is the most well rounded fighter -- he has zero holes in his game. There are better strikers, better wrestlers, better grapplers, better submission artists -- but nobody puts it all together like GSP does. I expect a lot of people to disagree - but thats nothing new anymore.

Anyone asking why GSP isn't fighting Silva should be asking why Silva isn't fighting JBJ, or why JBJ isn't fighting @ HW - or why anyone at 125, 135, 145, 155 isn't moving up a division to fight their "1-up" division champion. People just love to hate on GSP because he hasn't been able to finish a fight, and thus want to hopefully see him beat by a guy in a bigger weight class. How classy.

I think if put an elite finisher against an elite UDer. The finisher will win. It's kind of the same debate I had with Sherdog about Silva/Sonnen I and II. Sonnen may not be as elite but that is why finishing is important.

Ask some of St.Pierres opponents how "predictable" he is. GSP is one of the best at keeping guys on their toes because they don't know if he's going to strike or take them down. Guys like Anderson and Aldo are more unpredictable with their strikes but everyone knows they want to keep the fight standing.

This.

I've seen so many people claim GSP is predictable over the years yet it's totally the opposite.

It's basically like yeah, GSP is so predictable, you know that he's going to:

Hit you with a jab... or maybe a right cross...

or maybe a leading left hook (like he did all night long against Kos 2)... or maybe he's gonna go for a leg kick... a head kick maybe ?

or a spinning back kick... or a superman punch... hmmm a spinning back fist maybe ?

Oh wait, it's true, he's gonna shoot for a takedown and then he's gonna go for GnP... and maybe a few subs attempts...

oh crap, I better watch out for his guard passing !

I don't think there's anyone in mma who is as hard as GSP to gameplan against.

Last edited:
I think if put an elite finisher against an elite UDer. The finisher will win. It's kind of the same debate I had with Sherdog about Silva/Sonnen I and II. Sonnen may not be as elite but that is why finishing is important.

You mean like JDS vs Cain ?

Silva beat up Sonnen because Chael is not anywhere near the elite status Silva is.

Despite that he very nearly got the win in the first fight so I think your argument is crap.

It depends on the matchup and who is really better... it's not because two guys are "elite" that they are necessarily equal.

In the Silva vs GSP matchup, it might come down to size.

Having tremendous finishing abilities is an incredible asset but keep in mind Silva is dominating with that asset and GSP is dominating WITHOUT that asset so that's at least equally impressive.

People who call him "boring because he doesn't finish" are clueless.

I've never seen a boring GSP fight.

You didn't find the Hardy fight boring?

GSP isnt predictable. He mixes up takedowns and strikes better than anyone.

Anderson and Jones have both dominated and beaten more high level fighters. Those 2 are the best in the world.....followed by GSP

i disagree, ww is much stronger than mw and lhw. other than machida and evans, jones hasnt really beat anyone who's worth a damn at this point in their careers.

You didn't find the Hardy fight boring?

GSP isnt predictable. He mixes up takedowns and strikes better than anyone.

The Hardy and Shields fights were a bit boring. He's said prior the Condit fight that he had lost his motivation during that period and it showed.

He's got very few boring fights all things considered.

GSP has the most Top 5 wins and the most p4p wins.

According to ELO ranking (objective), he's faced the toughest competition of any fighter in MMA history.

They are still subjective. Using subjective ratings to create a number don't make it objective. Ratings/rankings are always subjective.

Here at mma-elo rating is determined in the following way:

- Each fighter starts with a 1500 rating
- Each fight a fighter's rating can increase/decrease by between 0 and 32 points
(note: The bigger the difference in rating between two fighters the more the higher rated fighter has to lose and the less they have to gain)

Edit: I misunderstood the system I think.

Last edited:
I've seen GSP's career and I can say that although he has all of the physical tools to beat most fighters, he was mentally and emotionally damaged by Serra and will never have the killer instinct to finish another fighter again.

I've seen GSP's career and I can say that although he has all of the physical tools to beat most fighters, he was mentally and emotionally damaged by Serra and will never have the killer instinct to finish another fighter again.

I wish someone would mentally and emotionally damage me so that I can go on a 10 fight, 5 1/2 year win streak and be known as one of the most dominate fighters in the world.

GSP is not the best, I don't care how you try to rationalize it.

No. I love GSP but no he is not the best in the world right now. Don't try and spin the ol' "his opponents are toughies so it's hard for him or anyone for that matter"

You mean like JDS vs Cain ?

Silva beat up Sonnen because Chael is not anywhere near the elite status Silva is.

Despite that he very nearly got the win in the first fight so I think your argument is crap.

It depends on the matchup and who is really better... it's not because two guys are "elite" that they are necessarily equal.

In the Silva vs GSP matchup, it might come down to size.

Having tremendous finishing abilities is an incredible asset but keep in mind Silva is dominating with that asset and GSP is dominating WITHOUT that asset so that's at least equally impressive.

No, not like Cain/JDS. I've argued countless times with Sherdog on how a one-dimensional fighter like JDS wouldn't last as Champion. So no lol not at all like that. Plus who's the elite UDer in this case...?

Last edited:
They are still subjective. Using subjective ratings to create a number don't make it objective. Ratings/rankings are always subjective.

Actually, no, it is objective in the truest definition of the word since anyone with basic mathematical skills and access to all the MMA fighters' win-loss stats can calculate very objectively what the fighters ELO score will improve to with a win or what it would decrease to with a loss before the fight even takes place.

Actually, no, it is objective in the truest definition of the word since anyone with basic mathematical skills and access to all the MMA fighters' win-loss stats can calculate very objectively what the fighters ELO score will improve to with a win or what it would decrease to with a loss before the fight even takes place.

The way the calculate the difference is based on rankings...which themselves are subjective.

(note: The bigger the difference in rating between two fighters the more the higher rated fighter has to lose and the less they have to gain)

Or do they mean higher or lower based on their ELO? I guess I misunderstood where they got higher and lower from originally.

Ha! Anderson... unpredictable?....

He's gonna stand up and try to finish you there. What is so unpredictable is how he'll finish you. That's all.

Please. GSP is more boring than Fitch

i disagree, ww is much stronger than mw and lhw. other than machida and evans, jones hasnt really beat anyone who's worth a damn at this point in their careers.

ww looks strong because gsp is there. it is filled with one dimensional fighters
mw and lhw look weak because silva and jones are there. do you think gsp could beat a top 10 mw.
gsp will gladly fight lw's though

Back