1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

The REAL reason Khabib will never be in GOAT contention in the eyes of the critics..

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peli, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Peli Silver Belt

Is because he's never faced adversity or a loss. He dominates all his opponents and that's the reason why.

The reasons the other guys get the praise in addition other stuff(# of title defenses, sos etc) is they have faced adversity and shown they can won in multiple ways. Khabib hasn't shown that

It's kinda crazy to suggest but had khabib lost to barboza or something than go on to beat barboza in a rematch, Conor, gaethje, Dustin. The media would spin it at omg, look how much he's grown as a fighter. Etc there are still fighters and journalists that say khabibs striking isn't effective.

I think the fight world see khabib as a one trick pony(Kevin holland for sure has called him that) and believe eventually he won't be able to win his way. So they're banking on that.

Khabib could finish 35-0 at lw and the goalpost will move to he didn't go to ww in the era of double champs<Lmaoo>

Tl; Dr khabibs never been through adversity or lost his dominant style is held against him because he hasn't shown to win multiple ways.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  2. PulsingJones Purple Belt

Nah, man

They are just insecure GSP, Jones, Fedor fanboys threatened by the rise of a new GOAT.

That's all there is to it.

3. Peli Silver Belt

I remember reading comments from journalists and fighters who didn't even know khabib could triangle people. Never knew he had like 4 triangle wins.

Thanks I'll add the tl;dr

4. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

That’s literally never the reason I see anyone argue against him being a goat contender. It’s always a resume issue.

Apollo33, 1pedestrian, VAfan and 8 others like this.
  5. Peli Silver Belt

I've seen it argued by dan hardy and the like. This is just one clip but dan hardy's lives by the mantra you learn more from your losses than wins. A writer from the fight site always held the fact khabibs never lost or had to battle some adversity to win

I don't think these views are on the minority. I think only few will verbalize it. Every next fight is the toughest test for khabib until it isn't.

When khabib wins against the tough tests, it's because Conor partied and didn't have a focused camp. It's because Dustin and Justin were both afraid of the TD, etc etc. Lol

6. 2EZ Purple Belt

Not getting ko'd or tapping to strikes is weakness

kingmob6 likes this.
  7. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I’m sorry but Dan Hardy Is not someone who’s analysis I hold in high regard.

8. ExitLUPin K

I don't see Fedor fans being threatened. Many Fedor fans are Khabib fans and vice versa.

Bones and George's fans are def the most rustled

Goatbib, broke as hell and TR1 like this.
  9. greenhawk zzzz

The most common arguments against Khabib are
    1. Less title defences compared to GSP, Jones (Completely disregarding the fact that he and Tony struggled to get title shots due to UFCs favoritism of Conor .Both had to win like 9-10 in a row before they got one)
    2. Didn't face any elite wrestlers. (as if its Khabibs fault that no elite wrestler ever reached top 5)
    3. Didnt go up a division . (Why? Just like Usman, Colby will get severely outmatched in all physical attributes in MW similarly Khabib will face the same issues at WW so it makes zero sense)

The arguments against Khabib are frankly very weak .

10. Mondo Freaks Green Gucci Suit

LW GOAT for sure but not overall GOAT

11. sadowolf Some Belt Color

Nah. Overcoming adversity is definitely a sign of greatness, but you know what's arguably even better? Being so damn good that no one can force you to experience it. You can't say someone isn't the best because they're too good and should let people succeed against them more haha. Hardy can spout the "You learn more from wins and losses" mantra (and in that sense Hardy has learned a lot haha), but if you're good enough to just dominate everyone then how is that a bad thing? If Khabib kept fighting and went 50-0 without losing another round, would people be like "He's undefeated and was never in trouble; he can't be the best ever! Where's his ability to overcome adversity!" I don't think they would. Not to say Khabib is infallible, but if he's good enough to almost appear that way...shouldn't that hold some weight when considering how great he is? I mean it'd be one thing if he was fighting weak competition and never faced adversity, but that's obviously not the case.

To me the reason Khabib isn't the GOAT is simply because he hasn't put in the time on top. Guys like GSP, Jones, Fedor, and Silva spent years on top defending their spot, and Khabib retired before he could do that. If he kept fighting for a while longer and kept winning he'd have a much better claim, and maybe he'd even face some of that coveted adversity you think is most important. Is he the current best p4p (the title he asked for) though? That I totally believe he is.

12. Ch31ck Purple Belt

There are fighters that have accomplished more in the sport than Khabib. It's as simple as that. If he wants to be known as the GOAT, he's going to have to stick around and do more shit.

ElCasca likes this.
  13. Gambit MMA UNDEFEATED YAMMAWEIGHT CHAMPION

man you post too much. take a damn break

14. Sticko Brown Belt

For me the issue is injuries/inactivity and not enough ranked wins or title defenses. But beating Conor, Poitier and Gaethje back to back ranks up there with just about any 3-fight streak in the sport

15. Peli Silver Belt

Fair point! Lol.

But I'm sure there's others like him. Just look at joe rogan for example. Overselling michael johnson's left that khabib ate as well as saying khabib did terribly.

DJ himself in addition to the other ancillary things about Jon Jones mentions Jon is winning in multiple ways.

Kevin holland says khabib was a one trick pony until he faced gaethje. I think the criticism is there even if it's not always verbalized

16. Mike Retired

Nah it's because despite being undefeated he doesn't have that many top wins. Mostly due to inactivity. That's the only knock against him.

17. Peli Silver Belt

No thanks. Just place me on ignore.

18. Gambit MMA UNDEFEATED YAMMAWEIGHT CHAMPION

i dont need to put you on ignore, im just telling you should take a break. you getting paid to talk about khabib and chandler or what?

Peli likes this.
  19. TheChosenKing Banned Banned

Honestly thats not even a for sure thing imo. BJ Penn and Benson Henderson both have an argument.

20. Peli Silver Belt

Yes. Quite handsomely. Includes a 401k plan and the healthcare benefits are amazing.

Morning Star and valetudo school like this.