The Proganda thread: warning lots of UFC stuff

Fighters go have camps. It’s not a camp for Bernard, it’s a lifestyle.”

Bernard is also the type of fighter who is clearly rooted in the fundamentals of the sweet science. Hopkins has never had an overly exciting or flashy style. He is an old school fighter who does whatever he needs to do to win. He is not concerned about keyboard warriors who may not appreciate his style. Hopkins does not enter the ring to please everyone. He enters the ring to win, and his style has certainly contributed to his longevity (as discussed recently).

Putting 1988 Into Perspective
When considering Bernard’s career, many boxing fans fail to appreciate just how long he has been around. We all know that Hopkins has fought well in his 40s, but it is almost impossible to imagine that he first fought professionally in 1988.

1988 was a long time ago. When Hopkins first fought, a dozen eggs cost around 65 cents. A gallon of gas cost approximately 90 cents. The Cosby Show was the most popular US television show. Michael Jackson was putting out hits. Ronald Reagan was still the US President. A cell phone was so large that it could have been used as a dangerous weapon. Mike Tyson was the heavyweight champion of the world. Meanwhile, Bernard Hopkins was busy in the gym, just like he is today.

He’s Been “Old” For A While
The image below was taken after I ran in 5k road race with Hopkins many years ago. He had not even fought Felix Trinidad at the time, yet critics were already suggesting that he was getting old and his time was limited.

In 2001, Hopkins entered the ring against Trinidad as a huge underdog. I have fond memories of sitting ringside at that fight. I would estimate that 99% of the crowd at the Madison Square Garden was hoping to see Felix Trinidad score another knockout. The 36 year old Hopkins had something else in mind however. He put on a true boxing clinic as he systematically broke Trinidad down from start to finish.

Highlights from that classic fight can be seen below.

Whether or not Hopkins can do it again when he faces Sergey Kovalev will not tarnish his legacy. As stated above, regardless of the outcome, Hopkins will exit the ring as a boxing legend. We may never see another boxer last so long while fighting at such a high level.

I’m not sure what this weekend will bring, but I do know that I haven’t been this excited about a fight in a long time. I hope that boxing fans tune in, and more importantly, that more young fighters begin to heed the advice and follow the example that Hopkins has shared with us for so many years.

http://rossboxing.com/2014/11/03/long-lasting-bernard-hopkins/

Hope you guys enjoy these series

Haha.

See what happens when you let Marc start the thread, Bobby Jenks? And now you can't even say anything to him since, you know, this is his thread. Actually don't thread starters have the ability to block anyone of their choosing from posting in threads they started? Not sure. I thought that was a thing in the past, though.

Anthony Joshua is currently in Rio to watch the Olympics and is using his time productively it would seem to get in some extra training out there.
IBF champion Joshua has not yet had an opponent confirmed for his next fight although the likes of Hughie Fury, Kubrat Pulev, Joseph Parker and more have been mentioned recently.

Liverpool’s David Price has also emerged as a bit of a left field potential contender after he recently spilled the beans on a story where he claims to have knocked Joshua out in sparring.

Joshua doesn’t seem to be too bothered by the remarks so far and this week has been soaking up the Brazilian sun while getting a workout in with MMA heavyweight Junior Dos Santos:

Speaking on what he thought of Joshua, Dos Santos said on Instagram:

“I use to admire him a lot and now I’m admiring him even more. Such nice guy. I wish you all the best champ!”

(Image source and credit: junior_cigano Instagram)

https://www.boxingnewsandviews.com/2016/08/15/anthony-joshua-training/

ANTHONY JOSHUA TRAINING WITH FORMER UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION

anthony-joshua-training.jpg

Rumors of Khabib vs Edson Barboza in Manchester at UFC 204.

Dana just said along with Jones, Ronda is also coming back before the end of the year.

Just when I thought UFC hit a new low.

Dana says they have huge announcements in the next few months.

Prefight press conference in a couple of hours. Probably the last chance to generate some buzz that has been lacking so far.

Meh, Conor can only generate buzz against Brazilian fighters who can't speak English

Back