The problem with teaching your son Jiu-Jitsu at a young age.

Honestly, I don't see why NOT teach the other kid how to counter what your son is murdering him with, then it will give your son more of a challenge and both can actually enjoy it.

The mental image I got from the OP made me chuckle.

But yeah, wait until he is a few years older.

Why are you letting a toddler (with still developing motor skills) wrestle anyone?

Put him in a jiu jits class where he has other kids to train with that know how to defend themselves, and adults to supervise.

i teach my 3 and 4 yr old sons bjj

when kids wrestle someone cries and someone wins... which kid do you want ur son to be...

but my sons and i talk alot about fighting... theyve seen more mma matches on tape, tv, dvd than most people that buy ppvs.. my 3 yr old his first phrase was ground and pound... they get punished if the facts show they started a conflict... or if they took an improper use of force we talk about situations all the time to instill in them that they should never be a bully but if conflict is unavoidable its ok to win... and if they must fight daddy is always available

I for one support what the OP has began doing. Just don't teach any submissions because children don't need to know those sorts of things for a long time, obviously. Positional and transitional techniques are totally legit, and it will give your kid a really good foundation for if/when he does later get into BJJ. The other kid is just crying because hes scared or frustrated, not because hes hurt.

However, I don't think it'd be a bad idea to see if you can teach both kids that way they can grow up together learning, plus it can even be a catalyst for friendship to train together. Plus it'll probably help remedy that whole crying problem.

At least that is what came to me when I read this.

I have this same problem, if you wanna call it that. My daughter is 4 and trains with us at Dracs and when she has friends come over..I sometimes hear crying and we come in the room and lol my daughter has her girlfriend or little boyfriend mounted and is giggling saying "Tap, Tap"...and the little kids don't know what the fuck shes talking about lol.

I always have to look at there parents and go "Errr sorry" lol.

I have this same problem, if you wanna call it that. My daughter is 4 and trains with us at Dracs and when she has friends come over..I sometimes hear crying and we come in the room and lol my daughter has her girlfriend or little boyfriend mounted and is giggling saying "Tap, Tap"...and the little kids don't know what the fuck shes talking about lol.

I always have to look at there parents and go "Errr sorry" lol.

i lol'd

My son is about to be 2 next weekend, and I grapple with him all the time. Not necessarily "teaching" him positional stuff, but I put him in certain positions and we just play.

For those who think there is something wrong with letting a 2 year old wrestle, or play like this. Get a grip. I bet you have no kids, and no idea what you are talking about.

Its a great thing for kids to learn any type of sport, and be active. I also don't think submissions should be taught, but man, my son's RNC will be epic. For some reason he just goes for it (altough he can barely fit his arms around my neck).

My son is about to be 2 next weekend, and I grapple with him all the time. Not necessarily "teaching" him positional stuff, but I put him in certain positions and we just play.

For those who think there is something wrong with letting a 2 year old wrestle, or play like this. Get a grip. I bet you have no kids, and no idea what you are talking about.

Its a great thing for kids to learn any type of sport, and be active. I also don't think submissions should be taught, but man, my son's RNC will be epic. For some reason he just goes for it (altough he can barely fit his arms around my neck).

seriously he's going to be a beast by the time he's 5. when you know that much about the submissions and you have enough skill to sink one in but you simply aren't old enough yet...that's awesome

when the body morphs around the bjj training amazing thinks can happen

My daughter too..her RNC is ridiculously tight and she does it text book.

Damn this thread blew up. When I last checked it I had like 2 replies and thought it was going to die. I guess I'll respond to some questions/comments that came up a few times:

invite his friend over and teach both of them

I wouldn't mind doing this, but I don't think his mom would go for it. Also his friend lives close enough for them to play one or two times a week but, not for me teach both of them everyday.

Just tell him not to wrestle the kid, do something else. Is the only thing those kids can do together is tussle?

Yea... my son loves to 'wrestle'. I didn't push him into it. He's always coming up to me, his little friends, and his relatives asking if they 'wanna wrestle'. I figured if he's going to grapple, he might as well do it correctly. So I started going though the games in the junior combatives program, and he naturally started intergating those techniques when we play wrestled without me instructing him to.

Whats the point of teaching a 2 year old? Its not like he is going to retain that information if for some reason you stop teaching him for a month

I don't know. He wanted to 'wrestle' so I thought I'd show him the correct way to do it. I'm also teaching my son to swim, like my mother taught me at two years old. For me swimming is as natural as walking. I figured that if I taught him how to grapple correctly it would get imprinted in his muscle memory helping him out later on. I view both basic swimming and basic self defense as vital life skills that should be taught to your children.

You need to talk to him and explain to him that you should only use the techniques when you're with him.

Yea I think he's too young to understand that concept. He doesn't really get that there are times and places for certain behaviors. At that age he kind of thinks in terms of things either being ok to do, or; not being ok to do. My brother who is into boxing taught him how to properly punch. We had to put a stop to that because he would go around hitting people, thinking that we was only playing a game with them.

a two year old shooting doubles?! i want to see a video of this!!!

Meh look for 'gracie games tackle the giant' on youtube. It's not a perfectly technical double; they dumbed down the technique for kids.

Kids wrestle... other kid needs to toughen up.

I kinda agree, but; it's not like I can say that to his mother.

At this time, your kid shouldn't know any submissions.

Yea dude, submissions are waaaayyy off. Until he can judge for himself when it's ok to inflict that level of damage.

Why are you letting a toddler (with still developing motor skills) wrestle anyone?

From what I've seen little boys that age want to wrestle all of the time. It's not that unusual.

Put him in a jiu jits class where he has other kids to train with that know how to defend themselves, and adults to supervise.

He's too young for that. Maybe when he's a little bit older I'll sign him up for classes at a gym that has a childrens program.

So I guess I'll just have to wait until next year to see if teaching him won't cause problems. Or maybe I'll just teach him positional escapes. That way he'll only be getting out from under people and not holding them down.

No doubt, you have a bunch of young guys in here telling us dads how to raise kids. I have a 4 year old girl and 2 year old boy and we play wrestle all the time, they think it's fun and I get to "practice" at home. Hopefully the boy will enjoy wrestling as our small town has a great program, but right now its kids being kids trying to wrestle with dad. I pretend to triangle my daughter and she then pretends to triangle her stuffed animals, very, very cute and funny. She only grapples with me (her choice) so don't think it a big deal at all.

Go ahead and train your son if you feel that that is the correct thing to do.

I personally think that that is an amazing thing, and that you should help out his friend at the same time. Have an honest, genuine conversation with the mother, and you should be able to bring her around to see that it will be overall beneficial to both to have such a strong friendship and self-defense skills.

That's why i think TMA is better for kids, they learn more than the fighting art, discipline and respect are important also. Teaching kids MMA or hardcore fighting is just asking for trouble.

the other kid is just a pussy, keep teaching your son jiu jitsu, dont stop!

u should ask yur friend if you can show her son bjj to make it more fair, teach em both, im sure his mom will thank u

Back