The problem with teaching your son Jiu-Jitsu at a young age.

At 2 or 3 the kid has no idea his own strength or that he could seriously hurt someone. At that age your perception is out of whack. Might not be such a good idea teaching him something that he could and is hurting other kids with.

I've seen a few kids judo classes, and the lil guys seem to enjoy doing cartwheels, shrimps spins and all those other exercises more than actual technique learning and fighting.

Yeah i meant to get back to you on this......... IMO this is the rub. It is dangerous imo to teach young kids subs due to the fact that they may use them without supervision.

But honestly i haven't seen much to indicate it as being a major problem. One thing that does really bother me is laxidasical supervision in the form of ref's not paying enough attention or not "tapping for the kids". IMO as soon as the sub gets close, even into position for a sub they should be there ready to rock.

You can see on the video's that i posted in here earlier my son loses to an armbar from mount. His opponent gets the armbar and the ref is right there, the ref lets my son work out of it because he is doing the proper defense, then the opponent gets mount and swings for another armbar and the ref steps in right away and calls the match.

That imo is perfect, but as a parent you do need to be very careful who is reffing matches and what is the expectation in regards to tapping, also refs need to not listen to the parents about when to call a tap and when not to, the ref should know when and not trust the parents judgement or influence.

Bottom line is 4 to 5 is the age that most kids are allowed into a gym type setting to learn BJJ and both at Frank Shamrocks and GB Seattle they are taught subs and sub defense right away and im o.k with that as a parent......

I am still up in the air about this. My kids both have an interest in MA. THey know I do BJJ and I do show them take-downs and some sweeps. But I still feel weird about showing the any subs at this point. Especially chokes.

You are right. Things can be controlled in their training environment and an active Ref is not a want, its a necessity.

At 2 or 3 the kid has no idea his own strength or that he could seriously hurt someone. At that age your perception is out of whack. Might not be such a good idea teaching him something that he could and is hurting other kids with.
they also have no strength

It's always a good idea to get young kids started on a sport for general fitness.

Do you want your 2 year old looking like this

wutang.jpg

or this

AlexJones.png

the choice is yours

Tell your son not to be friends with pussies

keep showing him techniques if hes already applying them correctly at 2 yrs old there gonna stay with him forever, teach his friend too that way they wont kill each other. Just be sure to stress the fact its not cool to fight people, and you shouldn't try to hurt people with the techniques

I teach kids BJJ at a GB school. We take kids from 5 years on up. We focus primarily on positional escapes and then secondarily on achieving, maintaining, and transitioning to dominant positions for these ages. We also teach submissions and submission defense, but that is directed more strongly to the older students. I believe that submission knowledge and practice is fine as long as we coaches are dilligent about safety and the kids are mature enough to understand when such techniques are appropriate.

As for the two year olds, in my opinion, continue with the Bullyproof DVD games by all means! His learning of those gross motor skills will only be beneficial, I would just recommend that perhaps there be more supervision during the play dates so as to discourage the wrestling. (And I agree that 2 year old boys will wrestle. They'll eat dirt. They'll draw on the walls with markers. They're two. At least if he's going to wrestle, he's coming out on top. Good for him.)

For the record. My older son is 9. He's been training BJJ formally since 5, and learning basic movements since 2, so I obviously agree whole-heartedly. I also have a 6-week old boy, and the plan is the same for him.

Just for the record, my 9 year old has never misused his BJJ, as a matter of fact, he's shown restraint even when dealing with kids at school who have, shall we say, poor impulse control. And when he gets together with friends from soccer or baseball at birthday parties or sleepovers or whatnot, they always end up "wrestling" (usually in the WWE sense) and he gives me the "Don't worry, Dad, I'll just let them play" look with a roll of his eyes and a smile. He doesn't o soto gari the kids and choke them out, at most he'll let them "get the takedown" and he'll reverse or sweep them and pin them. And he'll laugh about it after.

It's good for boys.

I teach kids BJJ at a GB school. We take kids from 5 years on up. We focus primarily on positional escapes and then secondarily on achieving, maintaining, and transitioning to dominant positions for these ages. We also teach submissions and submission defense, but that is directed more strongly to the older students. I believe that submission knowledge and practice is fine as long as we coaches are dilligent about safety and the kids are mature enough to understand when such techniques are appropriate.

As for the two year olds, in my opinion, continue with the Bullyproof DVD games by all means! His learning of those gross motor skills will only be beneficial, I would just recommend that perhaps there be more supervision during the play dates so as to discourage the wrestling. (And I agree that 2 year old boys will wrestle. They'll eat dirt. They'll draw on the walls with markers. They're two. At least if he's going to wrestle, he's coming out on top. Good for him.)

For the record. My older son is 9. He's been training BJJ formally since 5, and learning basic movements since 2, so I obviously agree whole-heartedly. I also have a 6-week old boy, and the plan is the same for him.

Just for the record, my 9 year old has never misused his BJJ, as a matter of fact, he's shown restraint even when dealing with kids at school who have, shall we say, poor impulse control. And when he gets together with friends from soccer or baseball at birthday parties or sleepovers or whatnot, they always end up "wrestling" (usually in the WWE sense) and he gives me the "Don't worry, Dad, I'll just let them play" look with a roll of his eyes and a smile. He doesn't o soto gari the kids and choke them out, at most he'll let them "get the takedown" and he'll reverse or sweep them and pin them. And he'll laugh about it after.

It's good for boys.

Good job, Dad!:icon_idea

It's good for boys.

Great post.

i taught my little brother some bjj hes only 5. he goes and beats up the neighborhood kids now and always wants to fight. and he tries to RNC kids too now..

i tell him not to but he doesn't listen.

How many people hare have purchased the Bully Proof series and actively use it with their kids? Do you enjoy it? Do you recommend it?

Does the other kid have a dad?
Boys are gonna wrestle, that's what we do.
If his mommy coddles him every time he comes crying after he gets pinned, he won't turn out to be the kind of friend you want your son to be around.
He'll turn into a sniveling little chicken-shit.
The kid's dad needs to step up and tell his kid to man up.

That is sooooo awesome! I took my kid to a pretty big tourney this last weekend, 130 kids signed up and the guy putting on the tourney got choked up during the rules meeting and thanked all the trainers for teaching and changing these kids life and then thanked all the parents for the countless hours of taking there kids to and from practice, thank everyone for fostering the future of the sport.

Was pretty rad!

Back