The Pro - Wrestling Shtick

The way the promote themselves as if they are professional wrestlers like one would see in WWE....

I didn't realize MMA fighters had a creative team of people to write their stuff.

Boxers have been doing this for many many years. It's just that when MMA fighters do it, it only gets compared to pro wrestling
I see, in my defense I don't really follow boxing either though =p

Who would you give as an example of such a boxer, guys like Ali, Prince Naseem..?

If done right it can be great like when Chael first started but it's been painfully bad since then.

If it's too forced then ehh. Shit talking happens in every sport though.

I see, in my defense I don't really follow boxing either though =p

Who would you give as an example of such a boxer, guys like Ali, Prince Naseem..?

Jones Jr, Hopkins, Toney, Mayweather, Fernando Vargas, and Ricardo Mayorga are all entertaining trash talkers that I grew up watching

There are people that consider Jack Johnson the originator of the modern trash talk

Last edited:
Never watched wrestling in my life, it's weird and I don't like it

I will concede some guys pull it off(obvious example being Chael Sonnen) but most don't

I'd say Sonnen and McGreggor are the only two who practice lines in front of the mirror. The rest are just shit talkers, lol.

Either way, I don't care. I'm interested in how the fighters fight. Not so much in what they say.

I like it. Makes it more interesting. Doesn't hurt when somebody knows how to hype a fight.

I feel only a select few could actually pull it off correctly. You can definitely see when some guys are just trying too hard.

e2RUC0-3ioU

Don't give the writers too much credit.

Thanks for posting that. I had never seen it. People can say what they want about Punk, but I wish more WWE guys had his approach to wrestling. It would be better for it.

I'll say indifferent because I can go either way. When fighters are good at it, it works. But when fighters are bad at it, it fails so bad, much worse than other things.

Rampage is bad at pro wrestling shtick. It looks fake and aweful when he tries it. Rampages personality is naturally a little charismatic so he does better being himself.

if it were me, it would be more like PRIDE

i want unscripted WWF with real fighting

you can all lie about it, but the forums are so much busier when its a fight that has drama and history behind it

It's great when it's done well and nauseating when it's bad. Compare Mohammed Ali to Tito Ortiz.

you can all lie about it, but the forums are so much busier when its a fight that has drama and history behind it

Exactly. I laugh every time I read a poster with 1k+ posts talking about how they "just watch the fights" and are above the production.

I like ALL of it. The fights, the styles, the production, the stories, the hype, the politics, the growth, the retarded fans, it's why I post here.

It's great when it's done well and nauseating when it's bad. Compare Mohammed Ali to Tito Ortiz.

even when tito is terrible its entertaining, ive gotten plenty of laughs out of it. both watching it and the long term "cracked skull" "let me tell you how youre feeling right now" jokes

he was one of the biggest, if not the biggest star in american mma for a while. he was the only name casuals knew before chuck rose to the top

when he actually won against bader, he got wayyy more hype than guys like ryan laflare who just project a generic personality but also don't lose for 4.5 straight years

Exactly. I laugh every time I read a poster with 1k+ posts talking about how they "just watch the fights" and are above the production.

I like ALL of it. The fights, the styles, the production, the stories, the hype, the politics, the growth, the retarded fans, it's why I post here.

Amen brother
one of the reasons UFC could have a slight decline is now there are too many generic fighters
earlier days everyone had a personality, some were sincere good guys some were bad dudes, anti heroes and some idiotic brawlers
now everyone tries to be a humble hard working sportsperson (not saying they are not)
and then you have the elitists hating on all charisma

early tito ortiz was awesome(that living death laugh)
now he is goofy
still i click on a headline which has tito in it
just for the shizz and giggles but i still do

even when tito is terrible its entertaining, ive gotten plenty of laughs out of it. both watching it and the long term "cracked skull" "let me tell you how youre feeling right now" jokes

he was one of the biggest, if not the biggest star in american mma for a while. he was the only name casuals knew before chuck rose to the top

when he actually won against bader, he got wayyy more hype than guys like ryan laflare who just project a generic personality but also don't lose for 4.5 straight years

No doubt, the unintentional comedy was huge and you're right he was the biggest star for a while. I just thought his trash talk was bad.

I like it. The hipsters and elitists who pretend they're above it still post here. Plus, the numbers show hardcores aren't enough to buttress the sport. Got to get in the casuals with smack talk and hype.

Back