The Pro - Wrestling Shtick

If it's done well it creates a lot of interest

Sonnen vs Silva I & II

Nick Diaz vs GSP

Rashad vs Jones

Those were all big fights for a reason

When it's done well it's great, but few fighters can pull it off.

Boxers have been doing this for many many years. It's just that when MMA fighters do it, it only gets compared to pro wrestling

It isn't just boxing; it's been in most sports far longer than MMA has been around. It's just theatricality and flair.

if it were me, it would be more like PRIDE

i want unscripted WWF with real fighting

you can all lie about it, but the forums are so much busier when its a fight that has drama and history behind it

Few fans can admit that real fights with a strongly pro wrestling presentation is what made Pride so beloved.

My opinion .
Love it . It's entertainment . Brings excitement .
Just because you have soen fighters talking trash and being gimmicky ,or walk down to the octagon in a crazy outfit or whatever the case may be .
Does not mean that these guys are not going to start punching each other in the face when the bell rings.
People critize and say O its WWEoe whatever. That's kool and they're opinion .
But a little excitement won't kill the sport .

If Chael walked up to Wand and said "Beat me if you can, survive if I let you", I would shit a brick. Sure, Chael might well be shitting out his teeth the next morning, but it would be a fine, fine moment. A bit of theatre is great, provided that it is done well and backed up in the octagon.

Don't care. Some guys aren't good enough to get noticed without being a loudmouth and I understand that.

Seems like alot of MMA "fans" need their dose of WWE to go with their newfound interest for MMA.

Too much obsession with "personalities" rather than actual mixed martial arts.

The new breed of MMA fan wants shit talking freak show tough man fights while these guys for example (Aldo, Barao, Cain) are good all round professional athletes.

More fighters need to be like the guys mentioned. Look at Chael Sonnen before the Marquardt and Anderson fights. He was basically seen as a grinding wrestler.

Then he starts talking trash and has a small gimmick, and everyone is blowing up about him and caring more. That made him a star.

Now look at guys like Rick Story, Jake Ellenberger, Johny Hendricks about 3 or 4 years ago. They were all basically the same, nothing real different about them, and could be seen as interchangeable. That is not good for business.

Some people probably don't want to admit it, but MMA, specifically UFC, is sports entertainment. Unless you're an exceptional, once in a lifetime fight like GSP, Anderson, or Jones, you need to differentiate yourself from others to get ahead and make more money. Not only for yourself, but the company.

It's more interesting than the guys who have no signs of a personality.

"Speak loudly and carry a big shtick" I always say.

Granted I have no love for Chael or Barnett

Don't need it but don't have a problem with it either. If it helps a guy gain fans then more power to him.

I can't believe I'm in the minority. Glad I did this poll. I assumed we were mostly all on the same page of thinking it feels pathetic when someone brings this nonsense to the sport. Why can't our sport be entertaining because it is fighting in a cage!? Why does it need silly diatribes as well?

I can't believe I'm in the minority. Glad I did this poll. I assumed we were mostly all on the same page of thinking it feels pathetic when someone brings this nonsense to the sport. Why can't our sport be entertaining because it is fighting in a cage!? Why does it need silly diatribes as well?

Why does everybody have to be like Fedor and Cain? People are going to talk shit is normal and it's entertain when done right and you can back that talk up and it's proven that that formula can make you a lot more money. As far as people writing shit down Sonnen is the only fighter that I feel does that.

I don't mind to a certain point.

Tito vs Rampage reached godly levels of fail though...

i'm indifferent to it. it doesn't matter if there's trash talk or not. all i care about is a good fight.

Talking shit isn't pro wrestling schtick.

Have you ever thought that fighters are humans that are at times driven by emotion, just like the rest of us? Not that difficult to understand.

I'm indifferent. Some guys I think are funny, others I'm neutral, and some are just completely annoying.

Back