The Powerlifting Thread

507/363/705 today. Pr's in squat, deadlift, and total. No national refs at the meet so I went conservative on deads to go 9/9.

fuucckkk that’s big. First time totaling over 1500lbs?

507/363/705 today. Pr's in squat, deadlift, and total. No national refs at the meet so I went conservative on deads to go 9/9.

That’s a mean deadlift man. I’ve got a meet scheduled for Saturday, fingers crossed this corona shit doesn’t ruin it.

Depending on when my hernia surgery gets scheduled, I want to try and do a push/pull meet this year.

I'm not very strong right now, but things seem to be trending up and my hernia doesn't seem to be getting any worse with deadlifting 2x/week. I pulled ~92% of my all-time best on a power bar this past weekend and I've only been training the deadlift again for a couple months.

Bench is status quo.

Depending on when my hernia surgery gets scheduled, I want to try and do a push/pull meet this year.

I'm not very strong right now, but things seem to be trending up and my hernia doesn't seem to be getting any worse with deadlifting 2x/week. I pulled ~92% of my all-time best on a power bar this past weekend and I've only been training the deadlift again for a couple months.

Bench is status quo.

Didn’t know you had that. Best of luck. How long was recovery? I’ve got a umbilical one that I don’t want to get fixed because I don’t want gym lay-off. It would be cosmetic at this point as it’s not very big.

Didn’t know you had that. Best of luck. How long was recovery? I’ve got a umbilical one that I don’t want to get fixed because I don’t want gym lay-off. It would be cosmetic at this point as it’s not very big.
I had the same, just be careful it doesn't become strangulated. I had mine operated on a few years back.

I had the same, just be careful it doesn't become strangulated. I had mine operated on a few years back.

It hasn’t gotten any bigger. I had my doctor check it about six months ago and he said it would be cosmetic at this point. It’s weird because I’ve had it for years and didn’t even notice it until one day when I was showering. In any case, that is one of my biggest fears (strangulation).

How was your recovery?

I haven't had the surgery yet. It was supposed to be at the beginning of March, but I had to reschedule due to school commitments. Priorities and all that...

Mine is umbilical. It's not too bad and doesn't hasn't been getting any worse. It seems like it's all contained within the confines of my actual belly button.

Ehhh, I wouldn't say just cosmetic. They definitely can get worse and potentially cause issues, so getting it fixed before that happens is ideal. You have to take it easy for a while, but it's nothing in the long run.

It hasn’t gotten any bigger. I had my doctor check it about six months ago and he said it would be cosmetic at this point. It’s weird because I’ve had it for years and didn’t even notice it until one day when I was showering. In any case, that is one of my biggest fears (strangulation).

How was your recovery?
Recovery was frustratingly slow, but I followed Dr's recommendations pretty much to the letter. I wasn't strong before the operation, and certainly had to take a good few steps back when I did start training again. Boredom was the main problem for me.

That’s a mean deadlift man. I’ve got a meet scheduled for Saturday, fingers crossed this corona shit doesn’t ruin it.
Not sure what fed you're competing in, but USPA has set some guidelines. Lifter can only have 1 person attend the meet, only lifters in warmup area, designated liftoff person for all bench, bring your own chalk, etc.

Pretty much felt like a normal meet minus a big audience. We had a lot of lifters drop out as well so the meet wrapped up at 2:30 which was kind of nice.

Last edited:
Not sure what fed you're competing in, but USPA has set some guidelines. Lifter can only have 1 person attend the meet, only lifters in warmup area, designated liftoff person for all bench, bring your own chalk, etc.

Pretty much felt like a normal meet minus a big audience. We had a lot of lifters drop out as well so the meet wrapped up at 2:30 which was kind of nice.

Nah it was a local APF meet. Just got postponed until late May. Just time to get stronger I guess.

Here's my deadlift attempts. Not going to post my poverty squat and bench though.
[Yt]

Here's my deadlift attempts. Not going to post my poverty squat and bench though.
[Yt]

Damn nice job. Is that the gym that Mikey Estrella lifts at? I notice the same big banner in his vids.

Some recent PRs. Inb4 fat, yes, my diet could and should be cleaner. I'm working on it. Also need to fit some cardio into my schedule as I work 2 desk jobs so my activity level sucks outside of lifting.

Try one meal a day, just have one big meal in the evening. I’d imagine you could lose 50lbs within your first month or so

Gone from failing at lockout to failing on the chest at max load. Time to implement some new exercises. What's good for this pause work?

Gone from failing at lockout to failing on the chest at max load. Time to implement some new exercises. What's good for this pause work?
Long pauses, spoto press, pin press, tempo bench, benching with weight releasers, etc. You could combine them with larsen/feet up benching. If you don't bench at max grip width, you could also do some wider grip benching if you don't have issues doing so. On occasion I also like being aggressive/fast with the eccentric phase of the bench while still having good control of the weight. This helps me with confidence and not overthink things when the weights feel like crap and my body feels tight.

Long pauses and lat work like inverted row and wide grip cable paused at chest. I have noticed with a couple of people that the timing of the leg drive is also important to get out of that sticking point, if the timing is off they fail, if timed right it is easy.

Long pauses and lat work like inverted row and wide grip cable paused at chest. I have noticed with a couple of people that the timing of the leg drive is also important to get out of that sticking point, if the timing is off they fail, if timed right it is easy.
Think that's where I fucked up. The weight is only 5lbs above my max and my max didnt grind at all. Think I came down too high on the chest and missed the leg drive. Also switched from the fat pad to the regular pad with the Hope's of getting more out of leg drive but I gotta practice. Been on the fat pad a year.

645#. Bar must be uneven on my back for the plates to fall off on the far side despite collars being on. First time wearing the squat shoes for a max squat since we did the comp 2 years ago and I feel stronger squatting this way than with a vertical shin angle and flats. The curse of being quad dominant I guess.

Back