The Powerlifting Thread

boingyman

If can, can. If no can, no can.
@red
Reaction score
Since there seems to be many here that are into powerlifting I thought it would be nice to have a general thread to discuss anything powerlifting whether it's about programming, technique, cues, tips, PRs, general questions, the sport itself, athletes in the sport, equipment, etc. Doesn't matter if you're a beginner, world class or anywhere inbetween. Back when I was really into the sport I was always surrounded with others that did it as well. Now a days I don't train with anyone or hang out with anyone that's into it and besides looking at my instagram feed I don't really talk about powerlifting on the internet. So it would be nice to just chit chat about a sport/hobby I enjoy doing.

wow, u guys are really chasing his dick around like a hooker trying to surf on a skateboard...or something.

He's easily my new favorite. Thought it was gonna be Robo for a minute, but this guy blew by him.

What does everyone eat (besides McNuggets)? I don't count calories, but I eat very consistently and make simple adjustments if I want to gain/lose weight.

- Eggs
- Plain oatmeal
- 2% milk
- Almonds
- Walnuts
- Beef (ground or steak)
- Jasmine rice
- Vegetables (spinach, red peppers, carrots, onions every day)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Plain greek yogurt
- Mixed Berries
- 1 scoop of protein powder each day

That's really all I eat every day. I used to eat a decent amount of junk food on top of that list to keep my weight up, but I cut all that out quite a while ago. I don't really have a cheat day, but I'll sometimes grab a family size bag of chips or pretzels for Friday or Saturday night. I never eat fast food and don't go to shitty restaurants.

Some recent PRs. Inb4 fat, yes, my diet could and should be cleaner. I'm working on it. Also need to fit some cardio into my schedule as I work 2 desk jobs so my activity level sucks outside of lifting.

What does everyone eat (besides McNuggets)? I don't count calories, but I eat very consistently and make simple adjustments if I want to gain/lose weight.

- Eggs
- Plain oatmeal
- 2% milk
- Almonds
- Walnuts
- Beef (ground or steak)
- Jasmine rice
- Vegetables (spinach, red peppers, carrots, onions every day)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Plain greek yogurt
- Mixed Berries
- 1 scoop of protein powder each day

That's really all I eat every day. I used to eat a decent amount of junk food on top of that list to keep my weight up, but I cut all that out quite a while ago. I don't really have a cheat day, but I'll sometimes grab a family size bag of chips or pretzels for Friday or Saturday night. I never eat fast food and don't go to shitty restaurants.
As a fat piece of shit, I'm gonna steal this and hopefully lose weight.

As a fat piece of shit, I'm gonna steal this and hopefully lose weight.

You could probably skip on the rice and oatmeal. YMMV, but whenever I want to trim some weight, I cut those two things first. When I want to gain weight, I add more off them back in. It's an easy way to do things. The EVOO is calorically dense too.

Like I said, I don't count calories, but eating foods like that would make it very easy to do so.

I really like all those foods, so eating a diet that most would find "boring" isn't really a chore.

You could probably skip on the rice and oatmeal. YMMV, but whenever I want to trim some weight, I cut those two things first. When I want to gain weight, I add more off them back in. It's an easy way to do things. The EVOO is calorically dense too.

Like I said, I don't count calories, but eating foods like that would make it very easy to do so.

I really like all those foods, so eating a diet that most would find "boring" isn't really a chore.
Do you only eat red meat? That's the only thing I'd probably get "bored" of.

Do you only eat red meat? That's the only thing I'd probably get "bored" of.

Generally, yeah. Occasionally I'll have fish or chicken. I like chicken drumsticks, but boneless skinless breasts are bleh. I'll eat tilapia or salmon sometimes. For steak, I usually buy striploin roasts and cut my own. Even cutting them generously thick, it's still a little cheaper per steak.

Not a huge fan of pork tbh, but sometimes I'll make a dish with fresh sausages from a local place for a change up.

I don't exactly eat totally clean. I eat an bowl of oatmeal and some coffee each morning

lunch is almost always a burger or chicken sandwich from whataburger

dinner is usually a pre cooked meal consisting of steak and potatoes, or salmon and veggies etc

I drink a couple of high protein shakes a day to make sure im hitting at least 1g per pound of bodyweight

if I were wanting to gain weight I would add waxey maize to my diet

I drink a lot of cokes, tea, gatorade, lemonade as well

I eat fast food more than I should. Tough to cook on the road. Trying to plan to have hotels with kitchenettes this year.

Eggs
Bacon
Cheese
Whole milk
Oatmeal
Beef
Potatoes
Plain Greek or Icelandic yogurt
Mixed berries

I could stand to replace beef with chicken on occasion. I should also eat more vegetables. I made a hash of ground beef, bacon, cubes potatoes and threw in onions and peppers that I had dried up after the bacon rendered. I could easily make this on the road and have 3-4 meals from it.

I eat fast food more than I should. Tough to cook on the road. Trying to plan to have hotels with kitchenettes this year.

Eggs
Bacon
Cheese
Whole milk
Oatmeal
Beef
Potatoes
Plain Greek or Icelandic yogurt
Mixed berries

I could stand to replace beef with chicken on occasion. I should also eat more vegetables. I made a hash of ground beef, bacon, cubes potatoes and threw in onions and peppers that I had dried up after the bacon rendered. I could easily make this on the road and have 3-4 meals from it.
Icelandic yogurt sounds good as fuck for some reason.

Last year I was eating a lot of food and gained a bunch of weight, but wasn’t lifting consistently enough. this year is the opposite. Gotta get everything dialled in at once, and maybe I’ll start seeing some progress instead of being weak and skinny fat.

I've always had a pretty easy time dropping weight or adding weight when I need to. Obviously what you are eating and the quantity matters most, but something that always helped me keep my sanity was the size of what is on my plate. For example, if I'm having steak and I'm cutting weight, I'd maybe load of the plate with a lot more broccoli as a side. I still want a full plate. If I'm looking to gain, I'd probably have a loaded baked potato adding a lot of calories with the cheese, butter, sour cream, etc. My plate size always looked similar, but the caloric intake was drastically different. Same with making smoothies. I'd get by with a banana, ice, spinach, and some berries when dropping weight. It'd still be a full smoothie with the ice. If I was gaining, I'd maybe even skip the ice and have frozen berries, banana, peanut butter, spinach, etc. Peanut butter and cheese basically were my go to items to add calories without making it look like I was pounding a ton more food.

@deadshot138 how do you like the JBs for squats? I felt like my feet wanted to roll outward in them.

@deadshot138 how do you like the JBs for squats? I felt like my feet wanted to roll outward in them.
I'm curious as well. I recently switched to flats for squatting. Was using my old wrestling shoes, but didn't like it. Tried to get a pair of Notorious LIft slippers, but it would always sell out way too quick. I ended up getting water shoes that are almost the same as the NL slippers (same exact dimensions and sole) that was only $8.50 on Amazon. I've been squatting in them, but not completely sold. For deadlift it's awesome though. I wouldn't mind a pair of Sabo's, but don't want to spend that much. I might try the Asics matflex or Adidas box hogs

Back