The Powerlifting 3 Assistance Lift Catalog

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The Exercise Glossary was more of a troubleshooting list. All the searches I tried didn't turn up a thread like this (I thought I remembered Entropy posting about this). So I thought it might be useful- for me, most of all. Please help me by adding exercises I neglect. I'll keep editing the post. I'm most unclear on the bench, so any help from Entropy, Carnal, Urban, Nudge, etc., would be welcome.

SQUAT
Main Assistance
Front Squats
Olympic Squats
Wide Stance Squats
Bottom Assistance
Low Squats
Dead Stop Squats
Pause Squats
Box Squats
Lockout Assistance
Chain/Band Squats*
Reverse Band Squats*
Bulgarian Squats
1/2 & 1/4 Squats
High Box Squats
Lunges
Step-Ups
Secondary Assistance
Zercher Squat
Walkouts
Rack Lift Ups
Pistols
Hack Squats
GHR's
Reverse Hyperextensions
Cable/Band Pull-Throughs
Leg Presses/Shuttle Presses
Good Mornings
Calf Raises
Abdominal Exercises
Power
Jump Squats
Depth Jumps w/Barbell
Bounds
Tuck Jumps

DEADLIFT
Main Assistance
Stiff Leg Deadlifts
Romanian Deadlifts
Sumo Deadlifts
Front Squats
Hack Squats
Trap Bar Deadlifts
GHR's
Good Mornings
Hyperextensions
Cable Pull-Throughs
Bottom Assistance
Platform/Block Deadlifts
Lockout Assistance
Chain/Band Deadlifts*
Reverse Band Deadlifts*
Rack Pulls
Bent-Over DB/BB/Cable Rows
DB/BB Shrugs
Secondary Assistance
Zercher Deadlifts
Suitcase Deadlifts
Upright Rows
Reverse Hyperextensions
Leg Curls
Standing Biceps Curl
Forearm/Grip Exercises
Side Bends
Abdominal Exercises
Skydivers
Power
Snatch
Clean
High Pulls
Dimel Deadlifts
Bounds

BENCH
Main Assistance
Wide Grip Bench Presses
Pause Bench Presses
Cambered Bar Bench Presses
Lockout/Rack Bench Presses
Board Bench Presses
Floor Press
Chain/Band Bench Presses*
Reverse Band Bench Presses*
Secondary Assistance
Dips
Incline/Decline Bench Presses
Dumbbell Bench Presses
Overhead Barbell/Dumbbell Presses
Close Grip Bench Presses
DB/Cable Flyes
Tate Press
JM Press
Skull-Crushers
Decline French Press
DB Overhead Extensions
Upright Rows
Power
Speed Benches
Rack-Speed Benches
Medicine Ball Tosses
Plyometric Push-Ups

*Best for Suited Competitors

I'd add o lifts to the assistancec list of deadlift exercises.

Okay, added oly lifts to Secondary Deadlift Assistance and Good Mornings to Secondary Squat.

Nobody has any criticism of the bench?

Also, if you think I should number the assistance lifts in each category (order them from most to least important), then write down your suggestions. I would be very interested in seeing what we came up with.

Madmick said:
Okay, added oly lifts to Secondary Deadlift Assistance and Good Mornings to Secondary Squat.

Nobody has any criticism of the bench?

Also, if you think I should number the assistance lifts in each category (order them from most to least important), then write down your suggestions. I would be very interested in seeing what we came up with.

For Bench assistance, why not dumbell flys (various angles; incline, flat, decline), cable press, and cable flys also.

thecreator said:
For Bench assistance, why not dumbell flys (various angles; incline, flat, decline), cable press, and cable flys also.

Ha, I originally had those in there, but I took them out because I didn't want to deal with flaming right off the bat.

Yeah, I'll add them.

Quick question: Are hack squats done on a machine and different to hack deadlifts which are done with a bb?

If so would they be an assistance lift for the deadlift or the squat or both?

What about trap bar lifts? (those hexagonal bar things you stand in the middle of) Because I've heard them sited as assistance for both squat and deadlift.

SmashiusClay said:
Quick question: Are hack squats done on a machine and different to hack deadlifts which are done with a bb?

If so would they be an assistance lift for the deadlift or the squat or both?

What about trap bar lifts? (those hexagonal bar things you stand in the middle of) Because I've heard them sited as assistance for both squat and deadlift.

Good point, I guess I should take "Hack Squats/Leg Presses" apart. Hack Squat here means the barbell variation, where it is deadlifted from behind, not the shuttle press. I should add that to primary Deadlift Assistance, you're right.

As for trap bars, I considered them to fall under "Shrugs" as a rubric.

Madmick said:
Good point, I guess I should take "Hack Squats/Leg Presses" apart. Hack Squat here means the barbell variation, where it is deadlifted from behind, not the shuttle press. I should add that to primary Deadlift Assistance, you're right.

As for trap bars, I considered them to fall under "Shrugs" as a rubric.
You consider lifting a trap bar from the floor in a deadlift style move to be a type of shrug?

Actually that made me realise that you could always stick db squats in there, I have a friend who uses them if his back feel sore and swears by them.

SmashiusClay said:
You consider lifting a trap bar from the floor in a deadlift style move to be a type of shrug?

Yes?

I didn't realize it was being lifted from the floor (every rep). Usually when I see guys working on that machine they're just working the lockout- the shrug.

Otherwise, yeah, but what would I call that? I don't even know the proper name for that bar. I guess I'd call them "Trap-Bar Deadlifts?"

Nothing to add, but I just wanted to say that this is a great thread and should be a sticky!

some power exercises to add:

squat: jump squats
bench: medicine ball tosses, plyometric pushups

for bottom assistance in squat and deadlif secondary assistance: glute ham raise, reverse hypers, cable pull-throughs
for lockout assistance in squats: Lunges, step-ups, Bulgarian squats
for primary assistancec in deadlifts: trap bar deads.

you could add front squats to deadlift assistance, as well as dimel deadlifts.

Good shit. Keep it coming.

I will sometimes do "Suitcase Deads" (AKA one arm deads) as something different once in a while.

since we're at it, why don't we also make a list of weak link/sticking point exercises so the thread gets more specific, especialy those who are new to the game.

i should try out some bench assists cause they're really lagging behind my deads and squats

Back