The Powerlifting 3 Assistance Lift Catalog

#1can said:
what is a reverse band bench press?
Thats the one where the band runs down from a point above the bar so that it takes weight off the movement at the bottom, hence its inclusion as a lockout assisstance.

BabyPhenom said:
since we're at it, why don't we also make a list of weak link/sticking point exercises so the thread gets more specific, especialy those who are new to the game.

Okay, how do you want me to do this?

I don't know what you're envisioning because bottom and top assistance are already cookie cutter sticking point exercises.

max effort exercises, assistance eercises, auxilliary exercses, sticking point exercises, power exercises

Madmick said:
Okay, how do you want me to do this?

I don't know what you're envisioning because bottom and top assistance are already cookie cutter sticking point exercises.

for squats, maybe 1 legged squats? I like finishing squat days with these holding on to 20 pounders, they are good for stability and balance.

jayyon39 said:
for squats, maybe 1 legged squats? I like finishing squat days with these holding on to 20 pounders, they are good for stability and balance.

Those are pistols.

BabyPhenom said:
max effort exercises, assistance eercises, auxilliary exercses, sticking point exercises, power exercises

I'll need help re-categorizing them.

I'm sure Madmick doesn't mind the kind words, especially since he's been posting more lately. There is already a link to this thread in the FAQ. Look for the question about assistance exercises.

I'm sure Madmick doesn't mind the kind words, especially since he's been posting more lately. There is already a link to this thread in the FAQ. Look for the question about assistance exercises.

Found this article a while ago.

The Best Assistance Exercises for the Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift | Wannabebig

Guys like Cressey, Ferruggia, Gentilcore give their top 3 Assistance Exercises for the big 3.

Check it out.

Thanks guys.

I'm on a beginner weightlifting program but I'm starting to fail on the lifts so I'm planning to do a 3 Day Pull/Press/Squat Split workout in a week or so. I wanted to know, is barbell rows a good assistance exercise to have on deadlift day? I didn't see it on the list and from what I know, barbell rows work the back. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

To figure out where my weak points are, is it just a matter of self evaluation? i.e. if I find myself hitching my deadlifts then that means I need to work on lockout, and likewise if im failing in the middle of my bench press then its weak triceps? My press seems to be playing up recently, I always fail right at the very bottom when going for the + reps of the last 5/3/1 sets.

I'm on a beginner weightlifting program but I'm starting to fail on the lifts so I'm planning to do a 3 Day Pull/Press/Squat Split workout in a week or so. I wanted to know, is barbell rows a good assistance exercise to have on deadlift day? I didn't see it on the list and from what I know, barbell rows work the back. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

It depends. If you are looking to strengthen the muscles worked in the deadlift, then yes, rows are a good assistance, especially done Pendlay style.
If you want to strengthen your deadlift I would include it to help maintain a neutral upper back during the lift.

Seems this list never quite got the sticking point categorizing talked about! But I really like this thread's idea. It would be really helpful to learn what assistance movements to use when.

Thank you

When you write "Weightlifting", do you mean the sport of the snatch and clean & jerk, or the wrong, but common usage of lifting weights?

Personally, I don't like the idea of a routine that only has you squatting and pressing once a week. But to answer the question, BORs are a good upper back exercise, but they're also additional stress on the PC and lower back, which means it takes away from how much effort you can put into squats, DLs, GMs, etc. So my preference is for other upper back exercises.

To figure out where my weak points are, is it just a matter of self evaluation? i.e. if I find myself hitching my deadlifts then that means I need to work on lockout, and likewise if im failing in the middle of my bench press then its weak triceps? My press seems to be playing up recently, I always fail right at the very bottom when going for the + reps of the last 5/3/1 sets.

Have your lifts reviewed on video. As soon as the lift starts to slow down or break down, that'd be your sticking point. For example, you might fail past the knees,or hitch a pull, and the initial thought oh, I need lockout work, so rack-pulls. But it could also be that your set-up, or breaking the bar off the ground is messed up, and it leads to being in a bad position to finish the lift. You also have to be careful that, if you do end up doing partials, that your positioning mimic where you'd be at that point in the full lift, and not the way that's most efficient to do the partial - this is one reasons to use bands or chains instead of partials.

And this isn't directed at anyone in particular, but sometimes the best assistance is the lift itself. Lots of practice, trying to make each rep as perfect and fast as possible. There's no replacement for that.

Right ok, well I don't yet have access to bands or chains so it looks like if anything it'll be partials. I'm pretty sure I need to work on my deadlift lockout, but I'll get some vids up and maybe I'll be able to get some help.

When you write "Weightlifting", do you mean the sport of the snatch and clean & jerk, or the wrong, but common usage of lifting weights?

Personally, I don't like the idea of a routine that only has you squatting and pressing once a week. But to answer the question, BORs are a good upper back exercise, but they're also additional stress on the PC and lower back, which means it takes away from how much effort you can put into squats, DLs, GMs, etc. So my preference is for other upper back exercises.

Well I guess you could say powerlifting. To be more specific, I'm doing the stronglifts 5x5 workout.

Before I change my workout though, I'm going to go from 5x5 to 3x5 then finally 1x5 until I can't go up no more. I'm trying to milk those noob gains.

The reason I want to divide the main 3 lifts though is because I'm about to get a job where it's 12 hour shifts and I will be standing and walking most of the time. If I keep squatting 3 times a week then it might affect my job performance.

Also I have a cousin that goes to a gym that is run by powerlifters and they gave him a workout that splits the deadlift, bench press, and squat. In his last meet he got first place so I'm pretty sure it will get me stronger. The difference is that the assistance exercises he uses are mostly machines and at my home gym, I don't have that available. I'm trying to work with what I got though.

Back