The Photography thread!

I've slowly lost interest in photography, which I never thought would happen. I need to get back into my documentary/photojournalism style and street photography roots. Before the way I view the world with eyes was always for the shot/moment. Always thinking about perspective, framing, light, layers, juxtaposition, humor etc. Now I don't even look for any of that. I guess in a way it's a good thing since I rather spend my time giving that attention to my wife and kids rather always on the look out for a shot.

The only time I touch my FF Canon gear is when the wife ask to take a family photo or a photo of one our kids. I lost the passion for landscape/cityscape photography for a long time now. I have a small ASP-C Fuji camera that I bring out on vacation, but everytime I bring it I don't even use it. My wife wants me to take a family photo in Hawaii when we go in 6 weeks so I plan to just bring my Canon gear this time.
I also have a family and demanding job, I’ll admit photography is just a hobby for me but I usually enjoy it so much that it create a yearning to do it all over again, maybe if you set up a plan to go out into the streets to shoot it would give you interest? Mapping out your start point to your finish and everything you hope to capture can of plan.

I took this with my drone last week, though I had to lower the quality so I can upload it here, pictures with the drone are so much fun, I have the DJI Mavic Air btw
View attachment 643709
Fantastic shot, shame about lowering the quality but still obvious to see it’s a great shot.

How’s the battery life on the air? Half an hour?

This was an experiment with light painting. The picture was taken in a very dark room using a long exposure and then "painting" the guitar with a flashlight. I apparently swept the light across the lens at one point leading to that ribbon like effect in the middle.
BS36SSX.jpg
That’s just dope. What was the iso for that?

Is in flight or for standby as well?

I’ve been thinking about getting a drone for when I do my yearly visit to Phuket with family.

Flight. Not sure what you mean by standby.

Fantastic shot, shame about lowering the quality but still obvious to see it’s a great shot.

How’s the battery life on the air? Half an hour?
Not good, 15 minutes of flight time, sometimes you have to calibrate it and it takes a minute, I also always record in 4k so it goes by pretty quick. I have 3 batteries though.

Not good, 15 minutes of flight time, sometimes you have to calibrate it and it takes a minute, I also always record in 4k so it goes by pretty quick. I have 3 batteries though.
Yeah 15 minutes does seem like a short window but the shots drones can get, wow

It's by far the most fun I've ever had recording since the GoPro came out.
This shot takes work:

Looks better on a computer screen

This shot takes work:

They do look great to use, another dope shot.

This shot takes work:

The Litchi app is well worth the price. You can program in auto-missions from your computer and upload them to the drone.

15 minutes is actually a long time when flying a drone. It typically gets boring after around 15 minutes.

What lens did you use for the wildlife shots? And what’s the story behind that last photo?
Most of the wildlife was shot on a canon L series 70-200mm 2.8, the monkey was probably on the 24-70.

The last one is from a series of UV body paint photos I did a few years back. Fun project, but it is a pain in the ass to shoot using almost exclusively black lights. At least it was with the lights I had. I'm sure there is probably expensive UV lighting set ups you can get, but I wasn't making enough off those shoots to justify anything fancy.

Most of the wildlife was shot on a canon L series 70-200mm 2.8, the monkey was probably on the 24-70.

The last one is from a series of UV body paint photos I did a few years back. Fun project, but it is a pain in the ass to shoot using almost exclusively black lights. At least it was with the lights I had. I'm sure there is probably expensive UV lighting set ups you can get, but I wasn't making enough off those shoots to justify anything fancy.
Huh I was expecting you to say the 100-400 haha.

Fantastic shots anywhoo

This is a fun one. From my first ever digital camera that I got in 2002 I think. It was like a 1.3 MP Hewlett Packard (of all things):

YmROwTY.jpg

trying some new things with light and camera settings this summer.

hC10pJx.jpg

MHTvA8Z.jpg

trying some new things with light and camera settings this summer.

hC10pJx.jpg

MHTvA8Z.jpg

It's different, but I think it's too dark. I can't tell what that is.

Maybe bump the exposure a stop or two?

Back