The only way to stop eye pokes and groin shots is to..

Umm, that is what happened in the Jones-Texiera fight. He was given a soft warning for the first one(Glover didn't even want the fight paused) and then given a firm warning for the one that is in the gif. Jon didn't poke Glover again for the rest of the fight.

Anyway, TS' idea sounds good until we get lots of draws, screwy decisions, or DQs because of accidental groin shots, grabbing cages, and crap like that. Imagine if you spent $55(or hundreds to go there) to watch Jon Jones vs. Glover and the fight ends in the 2nd round because Jon got DQed and he keeps the belt anyway.

People would be pissed. How it's handled now is fine.

Legit question here. I thought that the belt changed hands on a DQ, only stays with the champion on a win, draw or no contest?

deduct 10% of their fight purse for each one after an initial warning

... and then given a firm warning for the one that is in the gif. Jon didn't poke Glover again for the rest of the fight.

But it wasn't because of the firm warning. Jones hand stayed in Glover's face the whole fight. He just happened to "accidentally" poke him a couple of times.

There would be a lot of guys trying to sell the refs that they got poked in the eye or kneed in the nuts.

There would be a lot of guys trying to sell the refs that they got poked in the eye or kneed in the nuts.

Which is why refs are paid to do their job and not buy into the bullshit sell jobs, same way it works in other sports. Some times an athlete will get away with it but overall the system works

Good point, like flopping in the NBA. Maybe they should get a warning but automatic for second offense or something.

Eyepoke, yes. Groin shot, no.

Groin shots are often entirely accidental and often involve the guy delivering the shot doing nothing wrong at all and just happening because the guy who caught is zigged when it was expected he would zag.

Eyepokes are different. All anyone needs to do to avoid doing it is keep his hand closed.

No intentional foul is ever allowed

How would one determine whether a dirty shot is intentional? Intentional and unintentional eyepokes or groin kicks look very similar.

I think an automatic point deduction would do more harm than good, as mandatory penalties usually do. However, I would favor a system like soccer's yellow card system, in which a warning for a low blow or eye poke carries over for another fight or two. So if you were warned about eye poking in one fight, you would have to be careful for several fights afterward.

It should be rated on severity. When a fighter has to take a serious break from action, they always show the replay. They should assure that the ref watched the replay, or have a second official paying close attention to the tape so he can guide the official in the cage. When it is a deep, fight effecting poke I would be fine with taking a point on first offense. Given that the officials have done their due diligence.

And issue a warning for the first graze, and take points on the second graze, when they are minor contact with the eye or pawing.

You could just have them remove their eyeballs and subject themselves to castration. That would end all eye pokes and groin shots.....

b0WQR+%281%29.gif

a kick in the groin should be penalized with a free kick to the fouler's groin

This guy has it right! Bad thing is I would be waiting for a groin kick just so I could watch the penalty shot. I would buy more PPV's and hope Rousey kicks someone in the dong dungeon, good tv. Genius

Take a point away, whether it's accidental or not, you can pretty much get away with poking someone in the eye or kicking them in the balls without any consequences at the moment.

If you take a point away every time it happens, a fighter is going to be less inclined to not poke his opponent in the eye or kick him in the balls.

Of course there will be accidents, but if this rule was employed we would see far less of both happening.

All this talk about changing gloves, I'm surprised nobody has thought of this

Docking points is a good idea but the need video replay/huddle is long overdue as well so refs can make their decisions fairly because pokes/groin strikes happen very quickly and dirty fighters can time their infractions when the ref's view is blocked or pretend to get eyepoked etc.
And the reffing for fingers-out hand waving is also inconsistent with some refs being lax/strict in allowing that sort of technique which imo should be banned since it leads to eye pokes.

a kick in the groin should be penalized with a free kick to the fouler's groin

yes. The offender should have to stand with his belly to the cage so he cannot see when the shot is coming.

Not sure what to do about the Eye poke . . . Any suggestions?

It should be rated on severity. When a fighter has to take a serious break from action, they always show the replay. They should assure that the ref watched the replay, or have a second official paying close attention to the tape so he can guide the official in the cage. When it is a deep, fight effecting poke I would be fine with taking a point on first offense. Given that the officials have done their due diligence.

And issue a warning for the first graze, and take points on the second graze, when they are minor contact with the eye or pawing.

Herb Dean has issued two point deductions in the past for severe infractions. Warn the fighter for the first illegal action. If the offending fighter committs another similar foul hit em up with the double deduction. The officials could review the film while the fouled fighter recovers.

If the fight goes to a decision it will be very difficult for the offending fighter to win the scorecards.

remove the fighters eyes and castrate them

SO YOU WANNA BE A FUCKIN FIGHTER

Back