The only way to stop eye pokes and groin shots is to..

PoisonGodMachin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Take a point away, whether it's accidental or not, you can pretty much get away with poking someone in the eye or kicking them in the balls without any consequences at the moment.

If you take a point away every time it happens, a fighter is going to be less inclined to not poke his opponent in the eye or kick him in the balls.

Of course there will be accidents, but if this rule was employed we would see far less of both happening.

All this talk about changing gloves, I'm surprised nobody has thought of this

7V2ArKq.gif

You'd be crying x5 harder when your favorite fighter gets points docked for legit accidental fouls.

You'd be crying x5 harder when your favorite fighter gets points docked for legit accidental fouls.

To be fair, it'd be an even playing field for everybody. I like the idea ts, no other way to stop it imo.

Take a point away, whether it's accidental or not, you can pretty much get away with poking someone in the eye or kicking them in the balls without any consequences at the moment.

If you take a point away every time it happens, a fighter is going to be less inclined to not poke his opponent in the eye or kick him in the balls.

Of course there will be accidents, but if this rule was employed we would see far less of both happening.

All this talk about changing gloves, I'm surprised nobody has thought of this

lol. u r the first to think of it, buddy...

ok end of sarcasm. yea, its been thought of before...

in jon jones case, weve seen refs warn him. and thats it. he does it over and over and he never gets a point deducted. ppl who constantly do it should get warned before hand that that is their first warning.

This. I don't see the number of fouls going down much at all, as most of them are legitimately accidental anyway.

at least we'd no for sure that it was accidental - then we'd say, 'keep your fucking fist closed, fuck!"

Instead of that, how about they just do what they should be doing?

Warning first, take a point if it happens again. That's something that didn't happen in Jones Teixeira fight, and in most fights in general. I've seen refs take a point immediately or not take any at all. There doesn't seem to be that middle ground there should be.

I agree to the extent that the rules need to b enforced better but taking away point by default is extreme.

a kick in the groin should be penalized with a free kick to the fouler's groin

I think it's only fair, if you get poked in the eye or kicked in the groin, you're at a disadvantage, so the only way to even the score is to take a point away, even though the perpetrator would still have the advantage physically.

And even if it were accidental how do you think it would feel if you got caught by an accidental kick to the groin? probably the same as if it were deliberate

I'm for 1 point deduction upon second eye-poke.

maybe
Why shouldn't accidents count score wise? If i am the goalie in a soccer game and the enemy team scores on me.. It was probably an accident that they scored. Should the point not count because it was accidental? Most fouls in basketball are accidental. Should the foul not count unless they are intentional fouls in basketball? What if i accidentally swing at a bad pitch in baseball? Should i not get a strike because it was an accident that i swung n missed? I could go on.
k 1 more... What if i'm in a professional combat sports fight and i make a mistake/accident and get KTFOed cause of it. Should that not count?

I think it's only fair, if you get poked in the eye or kicked in the groin, you're at a disadvantage, so the only way to even the score is to take a point away, even though the perpetrator would still have the advantage physically.

And even if it were accidental how do you think it would feel if you got caught by an accidental kick to the groin? probably the same as if it were deliberate

Your punishment is far more harmful than the foul.

Not every eye poke or groin strike is equal.

I think a system similar to that of soccer would be very pertinent here (in soccer, a yellow card is a warning, a second yellow means you leave the pitch for the rest of the game. But (for one example) in the champions league if you get 2 yellow cards during the tournament, you face an automatic one game ban. In league structures (UK at least) it's 5 yellow cards for an automatic ban.

If you have serial abusers of the 'one freebie' rule, then count their warnings from previous fights- like a 3 strike system. If they've been warned twice in previous fights, the next time the ref sees that foul (it could be a groin shot, eyepoke, illegal knee- whatever) they should deduct a point instantly.

It really isn't that complicated at all. This penalises those who continually break the rules (whether intentionally or not, they should sort it out) whilst giving clean fighters a fair shot. It's pretty harsh to say a fighter who's had 10 fights without a foul should have an automatic point deduction, potentially ruining his career, for a clearly accidental foul. It's also harsh to the opponents of people who continually flout the rules to not enforce them harder based on prior behaviour.

I really don't see a negative other than referees needing to be more aware of the past of fighters. I think the verbal warnings should be catalogued after the fight to make this more reasonable.

Your punishment is far more harmful than the foul.

Not every eye poke or groin strike is equal.

In order for either to atleast register in a fight and stop it momentarily it has to be pretty bad, so the scale of eye pokes and groin shots would look something like this:

Fucking bad 1------------------10 Really fucking bad

Instead of that, how about they just do what they should be doing?

Warning first, take a point if it happens again. That's something that didn't happen in Jones Teixeira fight, and in most fights in general. I've seen refs take a point immediately or not take any at all. There doesn't seem to be that middle ground there should be.

Umm, that is what happened in the Jones-Texiera fight. He was given a soft warning for the first one(Glover didn't even want the fight paused) and then given a firm warning for the one that is in the gif. Jon didn't poke Glover again for the rest of the fight.

Anyway, TS' idea sounds good until we get lots of draws, screwy decisions, or DQs because of accidental groin shots, grabbing cages, and crap like that. Imagine if you spent $55(or hundreds to go there) to watch Jon Jones vs. Glover and the fight ends in the 2nd round because Jon got DQed and he keeps the belt anyway.

People would be pissed. How it's handled now is fine.

I agree that there should be no leeway for eye pokes or groin shots regardless of accidental or not. Look at other sports. In hockey if your stick gets up and hits someone in the face its a penalty whether it was accidental or not. In fact it happens often that someone gets slashed or tripped not because it was intentional but because the offending player doesn't control his stick and it gets away from him. Intentional or not he is responsible. Why can't we say the same for MMA, it seems to make perfect sense to me. it might not always be desirable but if its called the same for everyone and you remove the option of the ref giving out warnings than that should help cut down a ton of controversy

Back