The only way I can see Conor winning is under the assumption that we are wrong about his grappling.

migeru29

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I believe the chance of this is very slim but.... 99% of sherdog might be wrong about Conor's grappling skills and most professional fighters as well.

Lots of assumptions, but let's assume:
1. Two first loses doesn't tell anything about Conor's grappling skills. Explanation: While this is not to much of an assumption (most fighters evolve at different rates). Lets assume that Conor evolved drastically due "natural talent", athleticism and huge efforts.
2. The tore ACL really affected his TDD against Mendes.
3. He completely gave up against Diaz and the submission loss doesn't give us any information about his real grappling skills. .

So what if (just what if) we were all wrong and Conor grappling skills and he's are much better than what we thought. If he has the ability to defend himself on the ground without much damage, to be able to stand back up, to defend a couple of TD's then I can see Conor TKO/KO at later rounds. Again this is coming from a Khabib fan.

Again lot of assumptions but I'm giving you that. Everything is possible after all.

Last edited:
Then Khabib will just knock him out standing

giphy.gif

Not a Conor fan.

But if he wins, it'll be a one punch KO in the first.

Probably catching Khabib coming in.

I believe the chance of this is very slim but.... 99% of sherdog might be wrong about Conor's grappling skills and most professional fighters as well.

Lots of assumptions, but let's assume:
1. Two first loses doesn't tell anything about Conor's grappling skills. Explanation: While this is not to much of an assumption (most fighters evolve at different rates). Lets assume that Conor evolved drastically due "natural talent", athleticism and huge efforts.
2. The tore ACL really affected his TDD against Mendes.
3. He completely gave up against Diaz and the submission loss doesn't give us any information about his real grappling skills. .

So what if (just what if) we were all wrong and Conor grappling skills and they are much better than what we thought. If he has the ability to defend himself on the ground without much damage, to be able to stand back up, to defend a couple of TD's then I can see Conor TKO/KO at later rounds. Again this is coming from a Khabib fan.

Again lot of assumptions but I'm giving you that. Everything is possible after all.

Lmao, 99% of Sherdog is wrong about everything.

It's not that simple, Khabib hasn't fought any striker that's NEARLY as dangerous, accurate and puts down high-level guys frequently. Like I said in some previous thread Barboza, MJ and Iaquinta are decent to good strikers but all 3 combined have 1 KO/TKO of a top-10 opponent. How many top-5 guys has Conor finished?

Point being, you have to also take into account that Khabib's grappling will definitely be harder to impose on Conor than someone like Barboza and it definitely is if he takes a shot or two at the start.

Khabib has controlled better more proven grapplers.

Conor chance is standing and scrambling to get back to standing. How much is he going to have left after having to defend takedowns and clinching. He gassed out after fighting standing and having his way. Assuming khabib does not get ko'd closing the distance - conor is pretty much screwed if Khabib gets a hold of him.

Not a Conor fan.

I understand this is the general consensus here but I just can't see this happening. Khabib is not dumb, he will completely neglect and avoid the striking department.

It's not that simple, Khabib hasn't fought any striker that's NEARLY as dangerous, accurate and puts down high-level guys frequently. Like I said in some previous thread Barboza, MJ and Iaquinta are decent to good strikers but all 3 combined have 1 KO/TKO of a top-10 opponent. How many top-5 guys has Conor finished?

Point being, you have to also take into account that Khabib's grappling will definitely be harder to impose on Conor than someone like Barboza and it definitely is if he takes a shot or two at the start.

giphy.gif

Nah Conor's grappling is leagues below Khabib no matter what.

He needs an early hail mary stoppage or it's smesh city.

I understand this is the general consensus here but I just can't see this happening. Khabib is not dumb, he will completely neglect and avoid the striking department.

Again, not a Conor fan.

But anyone can be hit on the way in.

If Conor times it perfectly, Khabib is going to sleep. Of course, I'm cheering for Khabib, so fingers crossed that doesn't happen.

Let me put it different then. Conor has not fought a fighter that tried to completely avoided striking (from round 1). The closest was Mendes, but not completely, he did try to exchange and he was successful until he gassed.

1. he had better defense off his back against Mendes than anyone - Conor fanboys, haters, or that small % of us that is neither - expected. give credit where credit is due.

2. don't put too much stock into that whole "torn ACL" thing. it should be taken with the same grain of salt as "tree times my size" - e.g. there may be a small kernel of truth to it.

3. he might very well spend 14 of the first 15 minutes on his back trying to avoid eating damage. if so, who's most tired in the 4th round? that's what i'm curious about.

4. or, Khabib eats a big one going in. like Sonnen did in the 3rd or 4th round against A Silva I. Sonnen ate it, got the takedown, and recovered. will Khabib?

Conor's grappling is no where near Trujillo's level for reference. We may see the first TKO by shitting themselves when Khabib lands the takedown on Conor.

Khabib fans have at least admitted the possibility that they could be wrong. That's the first step.

Khabib says he wants to make Conor fly, so I believe we may actually see a slam this fight.

He's going to ragdoll this skinny sack of bones

Not a Conor fan.

And that would be glorious. There would be blood in the streets of Sherdog, and I would be there to drink all the tears.

ask yourself....

how much would I pay to see conor win?

for discussions sake, let's say its $50 bucks.

... you then bet $50 on khabib.

you now force the universe's hand.

you either win money or your guy wins.

it's a win/win.

keep it to yourself and use it wisely. the universe tends to put money in your pocket than give you what you want. personal experience

Last edited:
ask yourself....

how much would I pay to see conor win?

for discussions sake, let's say its $50 bucks.

... you then bet $50 on khabib.

you now force the universe's hand.

you either win money or your guy wins.

it's a win/win.

keep it to yourself and use it wisely.
I bet against my boy Khabib with Iaquinta because those odds were golden.

Conor in near even.... betting on Conor is good way to lose money and a shit bet. I wouldn't even bet on Khabib here because you have to put up way too much to make anything and there is that punchers chance.

Best bets are huge underdogs who match up well.

Keep it to yourself and use it wisely.

https://mmajunkie.com/2015/11/vegas-dave-and-his-plan-to-bet-10000-against-ronda-rousey-at-ufc-193

And that would be glorious. There would be blood in the streets of Sherdog, and I would be there to drink all the tears.

It would be hard not to give Conor the recognition that he would deserve.

We'll see what happens.

Back