The No Twitter Mobs signup & discussion thread

No Twitter Mobs?

• Total voters
No one cared when they took Paula Deen's livelihood away because she called someone the Nword. That person robbed her.

Now we are all supposed to give a shit because a couple liberals got wrapped up into it?

Sleep in the bed you made. Be the better example, eventually maybe we'll follow.

With that said, I don't do Twitter mob..
I just don't give my personal money to people I can't stand.

Snapshot of liberals @Fawlty waiting for conservative reactionaries like yourself to eventually maybe one day act with any sense of principle instead of just reacting wildly and without thought about long-term consequences:

pdwk2.jpg

No one cared when they took Paula Deen's livelihood away because she called someone the Nword. That person robbed her.

Now we are all supposed to give a shit because a couple liberals got wrapped up into it?

Sleep in the bed you made. Be the better example, eventually maybe we'll follow.

With that said, I don't do Twitter mob..
I just don't give my personal money to people I can't stand.
Paul Deen is a good example that I could have used, thanks.

My attitude toward her at the time if I remember was basically "fuck that old racist bitch, don't care if she loses a book/show deal." I didn't fully appreciate the destructive power of social media at the time. It seemed righteous to socially purge the old guard racism, to take their shows and their books or whatever. It still is, in a sense, at least in its own right. There's a good in racists getting what they deserve, and there's a good in there being a strong stigma that helps prevent it. We're being irresponsible with it though, looking to "get" people any way we can, and it's causing us to go after the wrong people for unpure reasons.

I don't agree with your attitude.

Snapshot of liberals @Fawlty waiting for conservative reactionaries like yourself to eventually maybe one day act with any sense of principle instead of just reacting wildly and without thought about long-term consequences:

pdwk2.jpg
What's hilarious and very apparent itt is that almost none of these people have any principles, it's just war for them. Depending on who's in the barrel, they support it or they take a fake moral stand. I'm calling their bluff. Fuck them and their parents. But I also believe we're way too eager to go after people, especially for shit from the past, or for jokes. We need restraint and lots of it.

What's hilarious and very apparent itt is that almost none of these people have any principles, it's just war for them. Depending on who's in the barrel, they support it or they take a fake moral stand. I'm calling their bluff. Fuck them and their parents. But I also believe we're way too eager to go after people, especially for shit from the past, or for jokes. We need restraint and lots of it.

Just check out @tkotom 's hot takes on due process in the Catholic Church death penalty thread for insight into how self-destructively short-sighted and unprincipled these parasites are. It's like all the wimpy alt-right dudes that fetishize Russia and bemoan the principles of liberal democracy in the US that keep them from being arrested and executed without fair trial: they want to fantasize about that stuff because they'll never know the reality of it, and actually taking an informed stance is just too much work for political hobbyists.

I've noticed from the beginning. There is very little *principled* defense of free speech (or anything else) from the right in America. There's a practical defense in some cases.

I've noticed from the beginning. There is very little *principled* defense of free speech (or anything else) from the right in America. There's a practical defense in some cases.
Just weeks/months ago, all their talk was about Twitter mobs and how damaging they are, and how unfair it is to go after people for old comments. Complete 180 now. It has turned into "you deserve it" as if the existence of favorable irony changes what is right and wrong. I have a feeling that taking a stand of sticking up for people's right to screw up and be forgiven is going to be like having a choice seat for a fireworks display.

<45>
at the left being principled when it comes to this.
I've never seen a more full of shit group of snowflakes in my life.
For years now, the left has relished in the mantra "freedom of speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences", now that some of their dirty laundry is being made public, they want a time out.
What a joke.
I hope they drown in their own bile and shit.

Just weeks/months ago, all their talk was about Twitter mobs and how damaging they are, and how unfair it is to go after people for old comments. Complete 180 now. It has turned into "you deserve it" as if the existence of favorable irony changes what is right and wrong. I have a feeling that taking a stand of sticking up for people's right to screw up and be forgiven is going to be like having a choice seat for a fireworks display.

Extreme example...
everyday I go and punch you in your face and you say, 'hey stop punching me in my face..... that's bullshit'...... Nothing changes.

on the 10th day, you punch me first.
I stop punching you.

Extreme example...
everyday I go and punch you in your face and you say, 'hey stop punching me in my face..... that's bullshit'...... Nothing changes.

on the 10th day, you punch me first.
I stop punching you.
The majority of Twitter targets have been liberals, so it's more like two people punching each other, but one of them punching more and then not wanting to stop.

The majority of Twitter targets have been liberals, so it's more like two people punching each other, but one of them punching more and then not wanting to stop.

You may be right. I'm not keeping score.
I think the conservatives realized how strong Twitter can be. (Not saying that's good)

Right now (within last month) people are trying to boycott Laura Ingrahams advertisers..

I don't think we can put the toothpaste back in the bottle, personally.

While I can understand the problem you are illustrating, I also can see it both ways.

Specifically, as to the bolded above, why do you expect one group of people to show restraint, but not the other?

Twitter mobs are a reaction to something. If proper restraint were shown in the first place, there would (likely) be no problem.

It should be understood that if you are going to stand on a soapbox and scream into a blowhorn some questionable "jokes" that you are bound to piss some people off. A user of Twitter is literally broadcasting their message to millions and millions of people. I highly doubt certain comments and jokes would be said in a face to face interaction, especially to strangers, and I've always been taught to conduct yourself as if you were speaking to someone face to face, so I'm on the fence about this. Calling for restraint should be applied to both parties, if that's what you are calling for.

You may be right. I'm not keeping score.
I think the conservatives realized how strong Twitter can be. (Not saying that's good)

Right now (within last month) people are trying to boycott Laura Ingrahams advertisers..

I don't think we can put the toothpaste back in the bottle, personally.
The Ingraham boycott over the Hogg thing is an interesting one, because it's defensible as a way to go after her, in theory, because she was being a complete cunt. I think now that it was a mistake to call for a boycott, another good example. Boycotts need better reasons.

While I can understand the problem you are illustrating, I also can see it both ways.

Specifically, as to the bolded above, why do you expect one group of people to show restraint, but not the other?

Twitter mobs are a reaction to something. If proper restraint were shown in the first place, there would (likely) be no problem.

It should be understood that if you are going to stand on a soapbox and scream into a blowhorn some questionable "jokes" that you are bound to piss some people off. A user of Twitter is literally broadcasting their message to millions and millions of people. I highly doubt certain comments and jokes would be said in a face to face interaction, especially to strangers, and I've always been taught to conduct yourself as if you were speaking to someone face to face, so I'm on the fence about this. Calling for restraint should be applied to both parties, if that's what you are calling for.
Well, a mob is not like a person. It goes off when critical masses of individuals go a certain way. There isn't one party composed of one individual, and another party composed of millions of individuals. We can forgive people, it's actually an option lol. We seem to have forgotten that. People should at least be able to fuck up, repent in whatever way is appropriate, and be blessed for it. One famous example is Robert Byrd. We don't have to automatically go balls deep on everybody all the time, and we especially shouldn't do it over things that are make-believe outrage, like jokes and disavowed former beliefs or actions- which was what the OP addresses.

Well, a mob is not like a person. It goes off when critical masses of individuals go a certain way. There isn't one party composed of one individual, and another party composed of millions of individuals. We can forgive people, it's actually an option lol. We seem to have forgotten that. People should at least be able to fuck up, repent in whatever way is appropriate, and be blessed for it. One famous example is Robert Byrd. We don't have to automatically go balls deep on everybody all the time, and we especially shouldn't do it over things that are make-believe outrage, like jokes and disavowed former beliefs or actions- which was what the OP addresses.

True. But when you are making a Tweet, it is not directed at any one individual, it is directed at the masses, so it is a bit like walking into a sports stadium and shouting something over the PA to a bunch of people who don't even know where you are coming from, or anything about you.

I can completely understand your argument if, let's say, people used this Twitter mob thing to lash out at someone who was performing at a comedy club - in that case the comedian is directing his message to a small group of people who (for the most part) understand the context.

I bet this phenomena (Twitter mobs) is non-existent in Japan, as people are more measured in their public persona, and shaming is a real thing.

My position remains the same. Say whatever you want on Twitter. Just know that your comments are out there for everyone to see, and you could potentially be socially or financially effected by your comments. Before you hit that post button, think of how people might react to what you're about to say in a public setting, and wonder if maybe your phone or computer is giving you a false sense of security.

If you want to post offensive shit, don't be surprised when people get offended.

<PlusJuan>

Last edited:
"Stop using this particular medium to communicate about things I don't like"

I promise I won't, but only because I don't use twitter.

I want to give the comedians a pass. I mean we've all known comedians ...

My position remains the same. Say whatever you want on Twitter. Just know that your comments are out there for everyone to see, and you could potentially be socially or financially effected by your comments. Before you hit that post button, think of how people might react to what you're about to say in a public setting, and wonder if maybe your phone or computer is giving you a false sense of security.

If you want to post offensive shit, don't be surprised when people get offended.

<mma4>

Back