The New Political Divide: Fiction vs. Reality

Well, definitely not this:

Oh, at Trump University?
How did I know you'd offer nothing? Gimme a break mate.

Trump University? LOL, I slander Trump and the meathead Republicans every third post. Are you new?

Imagine that there are moderate thinkers in society!

Freedom from reality?

isn’t that one of the main tenets of lefty ideology?

There's a lot of truth in that. I think fiction is probably too strong a word but not by much. When the echo chamber is deep enough and far enough away from the center, opinions rise to a level where they replace reality.

I don't know that this is Trump's creation. I think the blame lies first with the news media who craft storylines that promote their preferred narratives. Then they devote time to keep their audience consuming only their preferred narratives. Thus creating pockets of the population who consume just enough facts that they believe those are the only facts in play.

The real news, which is often enough fake news, was made fun of for being fake news, so the real fake news responded by calling all other sources of news fake news whether they were fake or not.

The real news, which is often enough fake news, was made fun of for being fake news, so the real fake news responded by calling all other sources of news fake news whether they were fake or not.

Wrong. People started talking about "fake news" to refer to stuff like Albanian teenagers reporting that the pope endorsed Trump. Then Trump and his followers used the term to refer to real news that they didn't like. Part of the same fantasyland stuff that this thread is about.

Hitler is a big stretch, but his actions leading up to and after the election show exactly how authoritarian he is. Calls of election fraud. Calling for his opposition to be arrested. Claiming he won the election. He's convinced 70% of Republicans the election was stolen from him. This is dictator shit and most Republican politicians have still not come out against him. Many of them are backing him. Just imagine the damage he could do if our political process and democracy weren't as secure as it is.
True, Hitler was much more intelligent and prolific, but he and Trump have one thing in common...the ability to bullshit a LOT of people.

Echo chambers exist and they existed before Trump. They are dangerous and it is why we should continue to follow the scientific process, questioning and pushing towards truths.

It's also not uniquely political or unique to one side.

Hitler is a big stretch, but his actions leading up to and after the election show exactly how authoritarian he is. Calls of election fraud. Calling for his opposition to be arrested. Claiming he won the election. He's convinced 70% of Republicans the election was stolen from him. This is dictator shit and most Republican politicians have still not come out against him. Many of them are backing him. Just imagine the damage he could do if our political process and democracy weren't as secure as it is.

Source?

https://www.britannica.com/topic/postmodernism-philosophy/Postmodernism-and-relativism

Here's a primer for the guys pretending to know anything about the pseudo-philosophy permeating our society.....even in it's most basic description by Britannica, you can just see the low brow intellect even required to conceptualize something so stupid. These are self-defeating idiots and the long game of society accepting this laziness in all aspects of intellect is a guaranteed descent into anarchy.

<36><JagsKiddingMe>

Edit - ironically, the doofuses in here espousing this crap are also the guys who in the following sentence tell you youre an idiot for not listening to science. You can't make this shit up.

Wrong. People started talking about "fake news" to refer to stuff like Albanian teenagers reporting that the pope endorsed Trump. Then Trump and his followers used the term to refer to real news that they didn't like. Part of the same fantasyland stuff that this thread is about.

Thats fake news

I love when the left talks about living in a fantasy world <YeahOKJen>

Blah blah blah.

It's more simple. Trump has trained his cult, like Pavlov training his dog, to believe that any negative news about Trump is fake. It's simply a way for Donald Trump to defend criticism aimed at him. And it's worked.

A study showed that 42% of Republicans admit that accurate but negative stories about Trump qualify as 'fake news."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...te-but-negative-stories-qualify-as-fake-news/

Blah blah blah.

It's more simple. Trump has trained his cult, like Pavlov training his dog, to believe that any negative news about Trump is fake. It's simply a way for Donald Trump to defend criticism aimed at him. And it's worked.

More fake news. Trust me I'm the news, which makes me the authority on fake news. I'm sure whatever poll or study you have linked is as credible as polls.

More fake news. Trust me I'm the news, which makes me the authority on fake news. I'm sure whatever poll or study you have linked is as credible as polls.
You don't have to rely on the polls or studies, just think back to the last 4-5 years, if you're able. I'll give you an example, to refresh your memory.

Remember the Trump Tower meeting? Kushner, Jr. and Manafort meeting the Russian spies? Jr. lied and lied about it initially. Jr. said the meeting was just to discuss adoptions while the news said the meeting was political in nature. MAGA Hatters called the allegations that it was political fake news. But eventually Jr. released the tweets showing the meeting was in fact to receive damaging information on Hillary Clinton. Did this change the minds of Trumpanzees? Of course not. They still insisted it was fake news.

Interesting concept @luckyshot - I was just reading the back cover of a book called Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible: The Surreal Heart of the New Russia.

Maybe not a uniquely American phenomenon?
That's a decent read.

Of course it's not a uniquely American phenomenon. Or recent. "We've always been at war with Eastasia" is from over 70 years ago.

Interesting concept @luckyshot - I was just reading the back cover of a book called Nothing Is True and Everything Is Possible: The Surreal Heart of the New Russia.

Maybe not a uniquely American phenomenon?
I think a lot of populist movements have tenuous relationships to actuality, particularly as it is revealed by science.

It makes sense: science is basically a method for overcoming "common sense."

Echo chambers exist and they existed before Trump. They are dangerous and it is why we should continue to follow the scientific process, questioning and pushing towards truths.

It's also not uniquely political or unique to one side.

It's deeper than "echo chambers." It's not that people only hear stuff they agree with, it's that the right has evolved an ideology to guard against reality (deep state, liberal media, liberal academia, etc.). It exists on the left fringe (look at the "media hates Bernie" people), but it's dominant on the right.

You don't have to rely on the polls or studies, just think back to the last 4-5 years, if you're able. I'll give you an example, to refresh your memory.

Remember the Trump Tower meeting? Kushner, Jr. and Manafort meeting the Russian spies? Jr. lied and lied about it initially. Jr. said the meeting was just to discuss adoptions while the news said the meeting was political in nature. MAGA Hatters called the allegations that it was political fake news. But eventually Jr. released the tweets showing the meeting was in fact to receive damaging information on Hillary Clinton. Did this change the minds of Trumpanzees? Of course not. They still insisted it was fake news.

Inside sources say your post may or may not be Russian disinformation. More at 11.

My memory is good enough to know that fake news started before Trump. I remember some stuff about WMDs and being one of the few people in school to recognize it as fake news. Before that I wasn't watching the news, but I assume there was always plenty of it. The term fake news became more popular in the Trump era.

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=today 5-y&geo=US&q=fake news

https://www.britannica.com/topic/postmodernism-philosophy/Postmodernism-and-relativism

Here's a primer for the guys pretending to know anything about the pseudo-philosophy permeating our society.....even in it's most basic description by Britannica, you can just see the low brow intellect even required to conceptualize something so stupid. These are self-defeating idiots and the long game of society accepting this laziness in all aspects of intellect is a guaranteed descent into anarchy.

<36><JagsKiddingMe>

Edit - ironically, the doofuses in here espousing this crap are also the guys who in the following sentence tell you youre an idiot for not listening to science. You can't make this shit up.

edit- this post below is not accurate. i just want to admit that up front but not change the post so it doesn't look like im hiding something.

when you talk about this subject it is difficult to get any other impression than that you are buffing. i feel like in the same word count you just put out a person who was well versed could have easily given a different one.

i call bs that you really know what your talking about or can put any of it succinctly in your own words or can refute any intelligent opposition to your stance.

Last edited:
Back