• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The movie was better than the book

Hmm... 1984, other than that I can only think of the opposite, that said haven't read that many books that have become movies, for fiction I rather watch than read.

Hmm... 1984, other than that I can only think of the opposite, that said haven't read that many books that have become movies, for fiction I rather watch than read.

You think 1984 is better as a film than a book?

I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the John Hurt film isn’t horrible, but that’s just wrong.

You think 1984 is better as a film than a book?

I mean, everyone is entitled to their opinion, and the John Hurt film isn’t horrible, but that’s just wrong.

Ha! Sorry. I somehow got it all backwards... 1984 is much better as a book of course. That was the only book I could think of that was better than the movie... but there's also Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy.

I think Godfather is a better movie than book. Trainspotting. Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (but not by a lot).

People will generally say "the book was better than the movie" to sound smart. It's one of those bullshit things we're taught to say and parrot as kids. It's like saying "true beauty comes from the inside" or "if you don't vote, you can't complain."

The truth is that most modern movies are better than the book because film is a superior form of entertainment. I remember my mom telling me that reading Pet Cemetery was scarier than the movie. I tried to read the book when I was like 10 years old only to get bored about 100 pages in. The movie gave me nightmares for fucking months. No comparison whatsoever.

If you had people in the 1960's see the Lord of the Rings movies, it would literally change their lives. That is the truth of the matter. We're VERY spoiled these days, so we don't appreciate the level of entertainment we're blessed with.

There's also nothing smug about most movies. Even a complete dipshit can enjoy No Country For Old Men. The book, not so much. Intelligent people hate this just like music snobs will often not like a band because a bunch of retards like the band. It makes them angry that idiots can enjoy the same "enlightenment" that is only meant for "them."

Flame me......

Last edited:
The changed ending in A Clockwork Orange literally kills the entire point of the story.
Alex is "given" back his freedom and made into a pawn of the politicians and activist groups. He's still not free. It's not until he chooses to stop the violence himself that he grows up and gains actual freedom.
I don't think it kills the point so much as it changes the focus to simply criticizing their society's sense of right and wrong. It's been a very long time since I read it though, so I don't feel comfortable getting into details. Mostly I remember thinking the ending of the book felt too abrupt, so the reason that I favor it less than the film isn't so much about what it's saying and more about how cohesive it feels.

This is always the go to answer in these discussions. I believe the author may have even agreed. I probably do to.

At the same time, this narrative suggests the book is terrible.....which is far from the truth. The book is actually really good as well.

I’m guessing a lot of people just repeat the sentiment without actually having read the book.
The film is the more attractive package, and when the theme is identity through vanity people are going to gravitate toward the ideal models, judging first by what they see. And then it's reinforced by the film itself when Brad Pitt confesses what we supposedly can't -- he is the sexy we want to be. So on two levels we buy into the initial inciting event posited by the film, both of which is being spoonfed to us.

Which is kinda of the point of the book, and the film -- buying in the glamor of brainwashing -- but that frequently gets missed in the film.

The Lord of the Rings is 3 books. The movies cover each book, they aren’t intended to cover the Silmarillion etc.
The movies did an amazing job, but the books are better and its not even close. IMO.
Totally different tone. The books are patient, and at times, plodding. However, when you get to the end it's amazing, and also the prose is so dense you can read those books many times and get something new from it each time. It's a YA novel series that reads like classical lit.

The movies are action/adventure and are extremely distilled. I don't fault him for that because if Jackson included everything there'd need to be 10 or more movies, and the middle five would be mostly dialogue.

Hipster Stephen King fanboy spotted.

You have deduced wrong there sir. King is a decent enough storyteller although he always seems to have a hard time wrapping things up but as an actual writer I find him to be just slightly above average.

People will generally say "the book was better than the movie" to sound smart. It's one of those bullshit things we're taught to say and parrot as kids. It's like saying "true beauty comes from the inside" or "if you don't vote, you can't complain."

The truth is that most modern movies are better than the book because film is a superior form of entertainment. I remember my mom telling me that reading Pet Cemetery was scarier than the movie. I tried to read the book when I was like 10 years old only to get bored about 100 pages in. The movie gave me nightmares for fucking months. No comparison whatsoever.

If you had people in the 1960's see the Lord of the Rings movies, it would literally change their lives. That is the truth of the matter. We're VERY spoiled these days, so we don't appreciate the level of entertainment we're blessed with.

There's also nothing smug about most movies. Even a complete dipshit can enjoy No Country For Old Men. The book, not so much. Intelligent people hate this just like music snobs will often not like a band because a bunch of retards like the band. It makes them angry that idiots can enjoy the same "enlightenment" that is only meant for "them."

Flame me......

You sound like an “ADD” baby who’s benn on Adderall since they were 4. Also Pet Sematary gave you nightmares for months??? Hahahahahahahahaha you probably peed the bed until you were 15 too.

There you’ve been flamed.

You sound like an “ADD” baby who’s benn on Adderall since they were 4. Also Pet Sematary gave you nightmares for months??? Hahahahahahahahaha you probably peed the bed until you were 15 too.

There you’ve been flamed.
Pet cemetery was fucking brutal when it came out. Kids back in the 80's weren't desensitized to visuals like that. It seems Ridiculous by nowadays standards no different than my parents being scared of 50's monsters movies when they were kids.

I saw Pet Sematary when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I was at home alone with a Halo on my head after breaking my neck while racing BMX bikes.
I remember trying to read the book because my mom had it and it was just boring. My dad rented me the movie, which totally freak me out. Other than the original Poltergeist movie, I would say Pet Sematary was the only movie that ever scared me as a kid.

Pet cemetery was fucking brutal when it came out. Kids back in the 80's weren't desensitized to visuals like that. It seems Ridiculous by nowadays standards no different than my parents being scared of 50's monsters movies when they were kids.

I saw Pet Sematary when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I was at home alone with a Halo on my head after breaking my neck while racing BMX bikes.
I remember trying to read the book because my mom had it and it was just boring. My dad rented me the movie, which totally freak me out. Other than the original Poltergeist movie, I would say Pet Sematary was the only movie that ever scared me as a kid.

Poltergeist is rated PG...man up.

Also I’m joking and not actually flaming you.

The truth is that most modern movies are better than the book because film is a superior form of entertainment.

Oh, bullshit. People often say that the book is better because the book is usually better. Most movies are too short, even at two-plus hours, to adapt most stories and do them justice. Story and character arcs are shortchanged or outright cut, which might not hurt the flow of the movie but doesn't help it either. Long-form television adaptations are thankfully becoming more common, which is a plus as it gives the story and characters time to grow, but for the most part books are still a much better method of storytelling.

I actually liked the book. Movie definitely has a better reputation though.
Yeah the Jurassic Park book was fucking outstanding. Lots of details and plots the movie didn't pick up.

But on that same token I LOVED the movie. Favorite movie of all time. So it's weird for me deciding between the two

Clockwork Orange

I like the book a lot, especially the last chapter that is missing from the movie, but the movie gave the whole story an unique aesthetic that the book itself did not deliver.

Yeah the Jurassic Park book was fucking outstanding. Lots of details and plots the movie didn't pick up.

But on that same token I LOVED the movie. Favorite movie of all time. So it's weird for me deciding between the two

There's quite a few like that for me, JP, included. The Lost World was also really fun read. Think its natural to hold the book in higher regard.

A better question might be has there every been a great film based on a really crap book.

There's quite a few like that for me, JP, included. The Lost World was also really fun read. Think its natural to hold the book in higher regard.

A better question might be has there every been a great film based on a really crap book.
Not film. But Justified the TV show was based on a shitty short story by Elmore Leonard. The show was fucking awesome

Clockwork Orange

I like the book a lot, especially the last chapter that is missing from the movie, but the movie gave the whole story an unique aesthetic that the book itself did not deliver.

I loved the book so much I wrote a paper on it in college and I also thought the movie was better.

Back