The movie was better than the book

Came to post this, and while I'm sure this won't be the popular opinion I thought the story flowed much better without the drawn out, flowery pirate story that interrupted the comics and was meant to mirror the main story (it literally doesn't).
I never had a problem with it. I thought it was cool to see the dudes ongoing dialogue with the newspaper man and it made me give a shit about people outside the superheroes world,when they died together. I probably would skip the actual pirate story upon repeated readings tho

I remembered shortly after I grouped the two books together that I actually cite Jaws along with Misery as books where the movie cut out some unnecessary junk. The whole sideplot of Hooper and Brody's cheating wife slipped my mind for some reason a minute ago.
That was a huge shock to me as a kid,when i read the book after seeing the movie.. I was still really young when i read the book,and couldnt believe Hooper would do that ahaha

I think they're very good books as well. They just ended up being arguably the two greatest movies ever made. The material ended up in the hands of master actors, a master cinematographer, a master director, etc., all at the top of their game. It was just a perfect storm for the movies to attain a higher level. Which is the same perfect storm that came along for Jaws, if you ask me anyway.
As far as I know FFC had Puzo collaborate on the screenplay or had him write it altogether. Gotta look it up. Don't 'member.

It HAD to come out good.

only Dickhead&Dickhead "write screenplays" theyselfs.

A Clockwork Orange, Starship Troopers, and Total Recall. The first I attribute to Kubrick, and the second two are different enough from the books that it's less about how well the story is handled and more that I just find the movies to be more fun (or maybe it's just that Verhoeven is awesome).

The changed ending in A Clockwork Orange literally kills the entire point of the story.
Alex is "given" back his freedom and made into a pawn of the politicians and activist groups. He's still not free. It's not until he chooses to stop the violence himself that he grows up and gains actual freedom.

There is nothing pretentious about reading.
There is a place in Hell for those who dont read.
Youll never find your way out unless you read Dante's Inferno.
You dare to pass judgement upon ME?

Do you know who I am?

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the LAWD, when I lay my vengeance upon you.

P.S. you are a judgemental pretentious asshole. Just like I am. That's why I wrote that you sounded like a fun guy. However, you must've missed it or didn't catch that while you "read" it.

Haven't read it but isn't The Godfather supposed to be a bit of a shit book?

I thought Cronenberg's Crash was better than Ballard's book

No Country for Old Men I enjoyed the movie more. Although the little bits they added to the film stuck out badly to me

Yeah I read the Godfather in school. IIRC it sucked donkey balls.
Silence of the lamb... the book is way way scarier than the movie.

You dare to pass judgement upon ME?

Do you know who I am?

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the LAWD, when I lay my vengeance upon you.

P.S. you are a judgemental pretentious asshole. Just like I am. That's why I wrote that you sounded like a fun guy. However, you must've missed it or didn't catch that while you "read" it.
tenor.gif

I think they're very good books as well. They just ended up being arguably the two greatest movies ever made. The material ended up in the hands of master actors, a master cinematographer, a master director, etc., all at the top of their game. It was just a perfect storm for the movies to attain a higher level. Which is the same perfect storm that came along for Jaws, if you ask me anyway.
I never read jaws, but I'm afraid I'd be falling asleep every other page. Thrillers is not my jam. I watched the films semi-excitedly. Just because back then they were the shite. And there wasn't much else.

My childhood was not filled with 42 various channels of instantaneous entertainment delivery(((

I know that sounds poor, but I kid you not, everybody used to live like that. Only 1 TV set and 1 VCR. My uncle had two-o-both, I thought he was rich and a dealer.

Last edited:
Misery was a better movie.
So was The Running Man.

The Godfather and Jaws were good books but the movies surpassed anything the book could have hoped for.

Misery I agree with , Kathy Bates stole it.

Godfather I've not read.

Jaws , yea the film was much better than the book.

The Running Man I think was better as a book by miles though. More gritty and dark with a better ending. The Richards character and motivation was Miles better in the book I felt.

Oh, you're a violent, pretentious, judgemental asshole. And you're blue...

Ya know? Blue means "ghey" in Russian.

@ssBaldy can confirm.

H-m-m, you may sound like a fungi, butt, you're not cut out to be one.

Misery I agree with , Kathy Bates stole it.

Godfather I've not read.

Jaws , yea the film was much better than the book.

The Running Man I think was better as a book by miles though. More gritty and dark with a better ending. The Richards character and motivation was Miles better in the book I felt.
Arnold did not have the range to play the Richards character as he was in the book. Christian Slater woulda been perfect.

Care to elaborate, Blyat?

And, please, do not bring up asoiaf:
Did you want me to list books I think are better? There are a lot. I wasn't even going to list that series either because I never actually read it :p I don't think its a crazy opinion though for people who read a lot of fantasy novels or as a disrespectful comment. It's very much the roots of all modern fantasy.

Anyone who says The Shining is a hipster Kubrick fanboy.

Jaws seems like a good answer though. It’s been around 20 years since I’ve read the book but the mafia, plus Brody’s cheating wife, plus a killer shark seems like way too much to be packed into a book that’s really not that long.

LOTR is a somewhat logical example, as the book/s itself is only a part of a yuge LOTR expanded universe. The movie was able to capitalize on the collective, accumulated knowledge of that universe (Peter Jackson must be a MAJOR nerd) and became a masterpiece!

The book is good only if you become a fan and start reading up on elf languages, Silmarillion, etc. And that's like 25 books to cram. The movies exqueezed all that into just above 11 hrs. It became like a very condensed flavor. And much more enjoyable as entertainment.

However, the books have their own advantage, when you read you imagine, you "co-create" that universe with the author in your imagination.

Welp, butt, you do have a point!
The Lord of the Rings is 3 books. The movies cover each book, they aren’t intended to cover the Silmarillion etc.
The movies did an amazing job, but the books are better and its not even close. IMO.

Anyone who says The Shining is a hipster Kubrick fanboy.

Jaws seems like a good answer though. It’s been around 20 years since I’ve read the book but the mafia, plus Brody’s cheating wife, plus a killer shark seems like way too much to be packed into a book that’s really not that long.

Hipster Stephen King fanboy spotted.

Oh, you're a violent, pretentious, judgemental asshole. And you're blue...

Ya know? Blue means "ghey" in Russian.

@ssBaldy can confirm.

H-m-m, you may sound like a fungi, butt, you're not cut out to be one.
Blue does mean ghey in Russian, indeed.

Did you want me to list books I think are better? There are a lot. I wasn't even going to list that series either because I never actually read it :p I don't think its a crazy opinion though for people who read a lot of fantasy novels or as a disrespectful comment. It's very much the roots of all modern fantasy.
I'm a fan of fantasy, not nerd lvl, butt, a fan.
I was phishing for a recommendation/s.
'preciate!

People that say the book is better than the movie are pretentious and want you to think they’re smart because they read books.
I had a summer job in a paint factory once. You remind me of some of the old guys who had worked there for a long time.

Yeah I read the Godfather in school. IIRC it sucked donkey balls.
Silence of the lamb... the book is way way scarier than the movie.
R u tryna piss me off, pissy cat?
U dare to diss the GF?
U suck @Arqueto's balls!

+1 on the SOL.
C33 H36 ilt (O6 ︵ N4) = Gold!!!

Back