The metal thread \m/

Have you heard the first 2 albums from Ensiferum? You should check out the album I posted from Angra, not harsh vocals at all but Dragonforce idolises Angra. As soon as you add in harsh vocals it's usually no longer referred to as power metal. You might like Kalmah or some early Insomnium. You could also check out Whispered and Exmortus. Exmortus is super shreddy.
Yep listen to Insomnium and Kalmah. Don't really like Ensiferum, used to dig shit like One More Magic Potion back in the day but no longer.

Exmortus is alright, I've seen them live opening for someone...

I definitely think a sound like DragonForce with harsh vocals would still be considered power metal. People throw around 'extreme power metal' for both bands like Wintersun and Bodom which are more melodeath though I guess. Fine line.

Last edited:
Yep listen to Insomnium and Kalmah. Don't really like Ensiferum, used to dig shit like One More Magic Potion back in the day but no longer.

Exmortus is alright, I've seen them live opening for someone...

I definitely think a sound like DragonForce with harsh vocals would still be considered power metal. People throw around 'extreme power metal' for both bands like Wintersun and Bodom which are more melodeath though I guess. Fine line.
Yeah people slap the power metal tag on bands like Ensiferum, Wintersun and Bodom. A quick google search found me a band named Brimstone. On a unrelated note I'm not really a fan of Dragonforce.

Yeah people slap the power metal tag on bands like Ensiferum, Wintersun and Bodom. A quick google search found me a band named Brimstone. On a unrelated note I'm not really a fan of Dragonforce.
Neither am I but I can dig a handful of their songs and a problem with a lot of it is the cheesy vox
Especially their newer vocalist, unlistenable

Neither am I but I can dig a handful of their songs and a problem with a lot of it is the cheesy vox
Especially their newer vocalist, unlistenable
I don't really mind the cheesiness of power metal vocals/lyrics tbh. I haven't heard enough dragonforce to give a fair assessment but it's like they're shreddy for the sake of it and that's about it. They would be better if their songs were more layered and progressive rather than just over the top shredding the whole time imo. Exmortus is a bit over the top as well when it comes to unnecessarily fast shredding.

Now as far as the cheesiness goes I do have my limits, there are some bands that are just unlistenable because they take that shit to the max. Some newer power metal bands seem to have been inspired by the cheesiness and nothing else so the music sucks and the lyrics are terrible. Bands like Symphony X and Angra should be held in higher regard as far as power metal goes imo.

I don't really mind the cheesiness of power metal vocals/lyrics tbh. I haven't heard enough dragonforce to give a fair assessment but it's like they're shreddy for the sake of it and that's about it. They would be better if their songs were more layered and progressive rather than just over the top shredding the whole time imo. Exmortus is a bit over the top as well when it comes to unnecessarily fast shredding.

Now as far as the cheesiness goes I do have my limits, there are some bands that are just unlistenable because they take that shit to the max. Some newer power metal bands seem to have been inspired by the cheesiness and nothing else so the music sucks and the lyrics are terrible. Bands like Symphony X and Angra should be held in higher regard as far as power metal goes imo.

Early DragonForce had a few good songs before they got big from Guitar Hero and Through the Fire and the Flames

Truckfighters ‎– Gravity X (2005) & Phi (2007) 3 record special edition of both of those two albums. (Black, Red Transparent and Yellow Transparent).

This sounds amazing and I love that they put both their debut and second album together in one package. Paid $25 bucks for it which is a steal. Also have their 2009 album Mania on vinyl too. Best damn Stoner Metal band to come out of Europe next to Spaceslug
117324666_10157961614877639_2096751157381179384_o.jpg

Found this, its pretty good. In fact, I've been grooving all night to this band

Anyone any suggestions of power metal with harsh vocals?

Not big into chanty folky stuff (Ensiferum)
Listen to a lot of melodic death and there's sometimes a fine line there (listen to the Swedish and Finnish bands, don't like Bodom at all)
Maybe something closer to first album from Wintersun
Maybe something more guitar driven (a la DragonForce)

Does it exist?
Ever check out Soilwork?

Ever check out Soilwork?
A while ago since people said they were like In Flames or Dark Tranquillity

They definitely don't sound like either imo maybe comparable to the garbage In Flames puts out now

I'll give Soilwork another try

A while ago since people said they were like In Flames or Dark Tranquillity

They definitely don't sound like either imo maybe comparable to the garbage In Flames puts out now

I'll give Soilwork another try

They have been my favorite band since like 2000 when i first heard The Chainheart Machine at HMV. lol I hate the in flames comparisons but i get it they are both from Sweden and do play or did play a similar style at one point. Kinda like Metallica and Slayer both thrash but very different.

They are a tricky band to get people into because every album is quite different sounding. Plus they have gone through a shitload of band member changes. Stabbing the Drama is the last album with the two original guitarists after that it gets a bit funky. Now the singer is the only original member left It was the same thing with Chimaira the band had a completely new line up besides the singer at the end. At some point you need to pull the plug or rename the band because the last Soilwork album doesn't sound like them at all. Everything before that i like though. One cool thing is their long time drummer Dirk Verbeuren joined Megadeth as the new permanent drummer. I love seeing shit like that were a relatively unkown guy gets a huge opportunity like that. Actually a step down music wise because he is insane. Sorry for the rant lol not sure where to tell you to start maybe just a mix on YT or something.

Back