The Matrix vs Aliens

The Matrix vs Aliens

• Total voters
I watched this scene Frying balls on 2 gel tabs of ACID. Still get flashbacks down my spine. Unfortunately the Columbine shootings went down shortly after. ultimate buzzkill.

ALIENS comes together better than THE MATRIX.

Mainstream film buffs often cite John Williams as the number one film score force -- to the point they'll say his music can make a mediocre moment into pure gold.

The reason John Williams sounds the way he does is because George Lucas asked him to compose like Gustav Holst.

James Cameron was like, "That's a good idea."

John Williams body of work spans over 5 decades, and if I'm not mistaken has been Oscar nominated something like 53 times. If you use a numbers don't lie logic no one comes even close

John Williams body of work spans over 5 decades, and if I'm not mistaken has been Oscar nominated something like 53 times. If you use a numbers don't lie logic no one comes even close
I hear what you're saying. Do you hear what I'm saying? The "John Williams sound" is largely based on Holst. This is not a slight against Williams in any way.

Aliens has been so incredibly influential on sci-fi, words can’t do it justice.

It is a testament to its filmmaking that it utterly holds up 34 years after it was made.

I don’t even think of it as a 1980s movie.

Aliens and it's not even close.

Aliens is a masterpiece and holds up tremendously well today.

There is really something to be said for practical effects and miniatures. Aliens does not seem dated to me at all, while some of the CGI in the Matrix series is so janky to look at now.

Aliens also benefits from avoiding any 80s references, fashions or pop soundtrack. There is a timelessness to its military look and grimy industrial feel.

The Matrix series just screams 1990s. From the black trench coats and sunglasses to the techno rave soundtrack to the IBM computers. Floppy disks and telephone booths. Have you tried to listen to “Clubbed to Death” recently? It is unbearable.

There is really something to be said for practical effects and miniatures. Aliens does not seem dated to me at all, while some of the CGI in the Matrix series is so janky to look at now.

Aliens also benefits from avoiding any 80s references, fashions or pop soundtrack. There is a timelessness to its military look and grimy industrial feel.

The Matrix series just screams 1990s. From the black trench coats and sunglasses to the techno rave soundtrack to the IBM computers. Floppy disks and telephone booths. Have you tried to listen to “Clubbed to Death” recently? It is unbearable.
Perfect description

I hear what you're saying. Do you hear what I'm saying? The "John Williams sound" is largely based on Holst. This is not a slight against Williams in any way.

Hell ya I hear it, would have to be dumb to not hear the resembles. And I'll be honest ain't familiar with Holst. Clearly know your stuff & just wanted to add to it.
Find it mind bending that so many iconic/recognisable OST came from one guy. ET Jaws Superman Star Wars the list is just ridiculous. 146 studio albums wtf lol

Matrix. Aliens is a great classic but The Matrix broke a lotta ground and is pretty much a perfect movie. Both still hold up, Matrix is on another level though. In every sense it's more interesting and fun.

Aliens does what it set out to do very well but it doesn't compare.

Last edited:
I thought Aliens would smash it. Pleasantly surprised.

Hell ya I hear it, would have to be dumb to not hear the resembles. And I'll be honest ain't familiar with Holst. Clearly know your stuff & just wanted to add to it.
Find it mind bending that so many iconic/recognisable OST came from one guy. ET Jaws Superman Star Wars the list is just ridiculous. 146 studio albums wtf lol
giphy.gif

I wasn't far off, my initial thought was that bit about Eddie Murphy's mom's boomerang shoe

Last edited:
Back